Some of my controversial views on philosophy

Author: Tejretics

Total: 39
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
Like I just did in the Politics forum, here are some of my controversial philosophical views. Would love to chat about any of them! Also check out my AMA.

• Epistemic nihilism is false. I’m not sure its truth can actually be evaluated, but at minimum, it’s useless and unproductive. 
  • God almost certainly doesn’t exist. 
  • Highly uncertain about this, but free will probably exists. 
  • Moral realism is probably true, though highly uncertain. 
  • Common sense morality is, all things considered, a pretty good metric. 
  • The best approximation of a good moral theory that I can think of is preference utilitarianism, albeit somewhat skittish, accounting for moral uncertainty with either expected choice-worthiness or a parliamentary model, and incorporating some unusually strong common sense intuitions. 
  • Creating new happy lives is a good thing, though not as good as making existing people happy. Creating new bad lives is a bad thing (though not as bad, other things equal, as inflicting suffering on existing people). 
  • Countries don’t have very large special obligations to their own citizens. They should prioritize their citizens a bit more than non-citizens, for pragmatic reasons, but policy should, in general, focus a lot more on the rest of the world. 
  • Individuals have a moral obligation to assist those in need. 
  • We should care, morally, as much about future generations as the current one. Of course, for practical reasons, it often makes sense to prioritize the interests of people alive today, but the moral worth of someone 300 or 3000 years from now is no different than the moral worth of someone alive today.

ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Tejretics
I dont see a philosophy/opinion about overpopulation of Earth there, ---for the operating systems we have in place---.

Can we list them in order of most dangerous to least dangerous to humanity:

1} overpopulation for operating systems in place, are the primary driver for most if not all of humanities foremost issues,  -- not survive-able --

2} hydrogen bombs,  -- not survivable ---

3} false narrative,  --- 50/50 --

4} erratic climate change via human induced  Global Warming aka Greenhouse Effect { where more rainfall happens in overloaded bursts, and runs off into oceans },  --- survivable ---

5} ?
Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
-->
@Tejretics
I would disagree with you on objective morality being uncertain and also on the idea that god almost certainly doesn't exist.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Tejretics
Like I just did in the Politics forum, here are some of my controversial philosophical views. Would love to chat about any of them! Also check out my AMA.

• Epistemic nihilism is false. I’m not sure its truth can actually be evaluated, but at minimum, it’s useless and unproductive. 
  • The best approximation of a good moral theory that I can think of is preference utilitarianism, albeit somewhat skittish, accounting for moral uncertainty with either expected choice-worthiness or a parliamentary model, and incorporating some unusually strong common sense intuitions. 
  • Creating new happy lives is a good thing, though not as good as making existing people happy. Creating new bad lives is a bad thing (though not as bad, other things equal, as inflicting suffering on existing people). 
  • Countries don’t have very large special obligations to their own citizens. They should prioritize their citizens a bit more than non-citizens, for pragmatic reasons, but policy should, in general, focus a lot more on the rest of the world. 
  • We should care, morally, as much about future generations as the current one. Of course, for practical reasons, it often makes sense to prioritize the interests of people alive today, but the moral worth of someone 300 or 3000 years from now is no different than the moral worth of someone alive today.
Your profile says you studied math and economics. None of the views you listed are covered by your education.

Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@Ehyeh
I would disagree with you on objective morality being uncertain and also on the idea that god almost certainly doesn't exist. 
I concur.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Tarik

--> @Ehyeh
I concur.
Your profile says you studied math and economics. None of the views you listed are covered by your education.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Tejretics
  • "Countries don’t have very large special obligations to their own citizens. They should prioritize their citizens a bit more than non-citizens, for pragmatic reasons, but policy should, in general, focus a lot more on the rest of the world. " - Tejretics
Personally I'd think one of a countries 'biggest obligations is to it's citizens,

Though 'depends on which country I suppose,
A country where it's a group effort, and everyone owns a share,
Where everyone's will and wants matters,
The country 'has to do what the people want,
Ought not be led astray by a minority of elected decision makers or leader,
To enter a war, or help anyone against their own citizens wishes (Depending on percent of vote)

In a dictatorship led by a self lover though,
Well, whole point of the country is to do everything it can for that leader.

Some countries monarchies though, have had noblesse obliges,
Duty of rulers to help the people, not just treat them well like a apple tree you treat well to harvest apples from,
But because of duty.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Tejretics
Epistemic nihilism is false. I’m not sure its truth can actually be evaluated, but at minimum, it’s useless and unproductive.
I you're talking about what I think you're talking about agreed.

God almost certainly doesn’t exist.
Some definitions of god can be ruled out due to lack of predicted evidence. Any god, as in some kind of non-corporeal being of great power, has no theoretical mechanism of existence and therefore no probability analysis can be done.

To be ultra technical what I would say is that the idea of a god is fully explained by human capacity for self-delusion and that there is no better reason to believe in a god than elves. Since there are many more things that can be imagined than actually exist (within scope) it is almost certain that something which has no supporting evidence beyond assertion does not exist.

Highly uncertain about this, but free will probably exists. 
Free will is actually poorly defined. I've drilled into it a couple times with people. Some people realize they don't actually know what they mean, others go on to essentially define free will as true randomness.

Problem is true randomness doesn't give you warm fuzzies when you really think about it.

Moral realism is probably true, though highly uncertain.
Not sure what this means.

Common sense morality is, all things considered, a pretty good metric.
Not sure what this means.

The best approximation of a good moral theory that I can think of is preference utilitarianism, albeit somewhat skittish, accounting for moral uncertainty with either expected choice-worthiness or a parliamentary model, and incorporating some unusually strong common sense intuitions. 
Disagree: The best moral theory is an objective one based on deduction. Such a theory does exist and I have yet to see it debunked.

Utilitarianism is a policy, those who promote it spend very little time relating it to actual values which are the clay from which morality is molded. On top of that it is a poorly defined policy since the central thesis of a quantitative measure of utility has no algorithm of evaluation and therefore no units. This is related to the fact that values (which are held by individual life forms) are not addressed.

Creating new happy lives is a good thing, though not as good as making existing people happy. Creating new bad lives is a bad thing (though not as bad, other things equal, as inflicting suffering on existing people). 
I agree with this value hierarchy, but that is a personal value we share. I do not believe you can objectively prove it to valuable to everyone.

Countries don’t have very large special obligations to their own citizens. They should prioritize their citizens a bit more than non-citizens, for pragmatic reasons, but policy should, in general, focus a lot more on the rest of the world.
Obligations are a sum of the obligation to objective morality + obligation to personal morality + obligations voluntarily assumed.

A government has a 'personal' morality in it's constitutional principles, and adopts obligations based on its constitutional functions. A government should thus follow its constitution provided there is no contradiction with objective morality.

You may believe governments should be constitutionally required to seek the benefit of non-citizens to almost the same degree as benefit to the citizens; but that is unlikely to be a social contract the citizens would sign up for.

Individuals have a moral obligation to assist those in need. 
Only if they value others having their needs met.

We should care, morally, as much about future generations as the current one. Of course, for practical reasons, it often makes sense to prioritize the interests of people alive today, but the moral worth of someone 300 or 3000 years from now is no different than the moral worth of someone alive today.
What does that say about abortion?

The possibility of a person is not a person, but the values of most people are already instinctively aligned with the desire to ensure their descendants have it good.

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Some definitions of god can be ruled out due to lack of predicted evidence. Any god, as in some kind of non-corporeal being of great power, has no theoretical mechanism of existence and therefore no probability analysis can be done.

To be ultra technical what I would say is that the idea of a god is fully explained by human capacity for self-delusion and that there is no better reason to believe in a god than elves. Since there are many more things that can be imagined than actually exist (within scope) it is almost certain that something which has no supporting evidence beyond assertion does not exist.
Agreed.

Free will is actually poorly defined. I've drilled into it a couple times with people. Some people realize they don't actually know what they mean, others go on to essentially define free will as true randomness.

Problem is true randomness doesn't give you warm fuzzies when you really think about it.
That’s fair.

Disagree: The best moral theory is an objective one based on deduction. Such a theory does exist and I have yet to see it debunked.
I’d be curious to hear this theory. 

What does that say about abortion?

The possibility of a person is not a person, but the values of most people are already instinctively aligned with the desire to ensure their descendants have it good.
This only applies if the fetus can be expected to have a happy life in the future, in a manner that outweighs the harm to the person who chooses to have an abortion. I’m skeptical of this claim -- being denied abortion can cause massive harms to parents and the foster system, and in some cases, kids who were born but whom parents don’t want to keep lead bad lives. 

On top of that, some other observations:

• It’s possible to value future generations without valuing potential lives (i.e., the distinction between making people who will exist happy, and allowing people a chance at existence). 
  • Having an abortion doesn’t necessarily shut happy lives out of existence. Lots of people who have abortions have kids with good lives later in life, but wouldn’t have had those kids if they hadn’t been allowed access to abortion. Also, any given increase in population potentially reduces the number of kids other people have (e.g., if a kid is adopted by foster parents, those parents might not have kids of their own). 
  • Even if I thought having a kid with a good life was morally praiseworthy, I value bodily autonomy too much. It’s similar to me thinking donating a kidney is good, but it would be insane for governments to mandate that everyone donates a kidney while still alive. 

Shila
Shila
-->
@Ehyeh
:56AM
--> @Tejretics
Would that be enough to prove God’s existence.

8 days later

TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Tejretics
With you on this one, especially pointing out its uselessness and it being unproductive. Just from a pragmatic POV it should be rejected, but even beyond just pragmatism it seems false.

Disagree here. I remember being quite the defender of this view on DDO (when I went by SNP1), but I no longer feel it is a justified position. I feel as if too much of the debate has been centered on atheism vs monotheism, but the moment you through polytheism into the discussion it changes things.

Agreed, but I am curious on if you are a compatibilist or hold to more of a libertarian free will? While I do think compatibilism is easier to support, I do have a lot of sympathies for libertarian free will. Our intuitions just scream that some extent of libertarian free will is true.

Mostly agreed.

I tend to think that Aristotelian Virtue Ethics is one of (if not the) best moral theories.

Agreed. Future people are important, but we cannot sacrifice too much from present people for them. Does not mean certain things that limit present people should not be implemented for the benefit of future people, just that we cannot sacrifice too much in the process.

Pretty strongly disagree here. The purpose of a country is to look after its own citizens. Without that, the country serves no purpose. This does not mean that value cannot be given to people outside the country, just that if a decision is made between the interest of the citizen vs the non-citizen that there needs to be a good reason to do anything but prefer the interest of the citizen for each situation.

I do think charity is a virtue, yes. I do think, however, that there are limitations (like in all things), and that certain forms of assistance can be more harmful in the long run.

This is where I disagree and think that you have some conflict in your points. if you assign a future person as having as much moral value as a present person, then how do you justify the view that "Creating new happy lives is a good thing, though not as good as making existing people happy. Creating new bad lives is a bad thing (though not as bad, other things equal, as inflicting suffering on existing people)"? I think future people certainly have moral worth, and we should act to look after future generations, but does that give it equal weight to people here today? I do not think so. Future people do not exist (yet) while present people do. I think more moral value is given to things and people that exist than things and people that do not (similar logic as to why theft, murder, etc. is wrong but playing GTA is alright).
Shila
Shila
--> @Tejretics
Like I just did in the Politics forum, here are some of my controversial philosophical views. Would love to chat about any of them! Also check out my AMA.

• The best approximation of a good moral theory that I can think of is preference utilitarianism, albeit somewhat skittish, accounting for moral uncertainty with either expected choice-worthiness or a parliamentary model, and incorporating some unusually strong common sense intuitions. 
In essence you are arguing about your nonexistent knowledge on subjects that are not covered by your education. But that does not exclude others from acquiring this knowledge.

TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Shila
Formally studying some topics does not mean you cannot informally study other topics. Look at Bill Nye as an example. Bill Nye hosted a science education program, continued to work in various ways to educate the public in science, etc., but what he formally studied was engineering. Does this mean Bill Nye is uneducated in science? Not at all. He studied science beyond just his formal education in it because he was passionate, the same can be said of many people with many fields of interest. You do not need to have a formal education in something to be knowledgeable in it (hence why many academic journals do accept papers written by people without a formal education in the field, so long as the paper meets the standard for publication).
Shila
Shila
-->
@TheMorningsStar
--> @Shila
Formally studying some topics does not mean you cannot informally study other topics. Look at Bill Nye as an example. Bill Nye hosted a science education program, continued to work in various ways to educate the public in science, etc., but what he formally studied was engineering. Does this mean Bill Nye is uneducated in science? Not at all. He studied science beyond just his formal education in it because he was passionate, the same can be said of many people with many fields of interest. You do not need to have a formal education in something to be knowledgeable in it (hence why many academic journals do accept papers written by people without a formal education in the field, so long as the paper meets the standard for publication).
You listed your interest as: My interests include religion, philosophy, science, history, politics, and more.
So your interests are wider than his.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Tejretics
The only one I would stand up and fight about is me having a moral obligation to help other people in need. Its to vague. There are many people I would just let die where they stand for numerous different reasons.  For instance I would not lift one finger to help a pedophile. They need to die the most slow agonizing death imaginable. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@sadolite
--> @Tejretics
The only one I would stand up and fight about is me having a moral obligation to help other people in need. Its to vague. There are many people I would just let die where they stand for numerous different reasons.  For instance I would not lift one finger to help a pedophile. They need to die the most slow agonizing death imaginable. 
You must have something against Catholic Priests. Maybe not so pleasant memories. Where did he make you stick your fingers that  you refuse to lift one finger to help ever again?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tejretics
Philosophy is either common sense or overthink padded out with a lot of hiss.
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
--> @Tejretics
Philosophy is either common sense or overthink padded out with a lot of hiss.
Nothing in your profile suggests you are qualified to comment on philosophy.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
Everyone is a philosopher, it's the nature of the beast.

No qualification necessary.

Discussing another person's philosophy is simply what it is.

Nonetheless, give me an example of something that philosophy has achieved other than itself.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Shila
Nothing in your profile suggests you are qualified to comment on if people are qualified for things or not.
Shila
Shila
-->
@TheMorningsStar
--> @Shila
Nothing in your profile suggests you are qualified to comment on if people are qualified for things or not.
I have not filled out my information in my profile. But you  have and nothing in your profile suggests you are qualified to comment on if people are qualified for things or not.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Shila
But it does say "and more", and so using the Schrödinger defense, I both am and am not qualified on any subject not listed until my qualifications are observed. You, on the other hand, have nothing filled out, which means that you have no indication you are qualified in anything.
Shila
Shila
-->
@TheMorningsStar
--> @Shila
But it does say "and more", and so using the Schrödinger defense, I both am and am not qualified on any subject not listed until my qualifications are observed. You, on the other hand, have nothing filled out, which means that you have no indication you are qualified in anything.
You totally missed Schrödinger defense. 
Your qualifications and information is open to the public. All listed and full of gaps.
In Schrödinger defense the cat is in a sealed box. The state  of the cat is unknown. It could be either dead or alive.
Similarly shila qualification and information is unknown to the  public. Therefore it could be anything and everything.
Novice_II
Debates: 98
Novice_II
-->
@Ehyeh
But do you think it is a falsity (non-cognitivism) or a certainty/plausibility like a realist?
Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
-->
@Novice_II
I think God is provable through ones own self consciousness. As an extension of this, i believe morality is objective and Mortem and i can prove it.  Mortem or I plan on maybe opening up a god debate in the future on the matter. You should read into menos paradox. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@Ehyeh
--> @Novice_II
I think God is provable through ones own self consciousness. As an extension of this, i believe morality is objective and Mortem and i can prove it.  Mortem or I plan on maybe opening up a god debate in the future on the matter. You should read into menos paradox. 
Keep us posted.

8 days later

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Hey there, SNP1! Been a while. 

Disagree here. I remember being quite the defender of this view on DDO (when I went by SNP1), but I no longer feel it is a justified position. I feel as if too much of the debate has been centered on atheism vs monotheism, but the moment you through polytheism into the discussion it changes things.
I’d be curious what you think the strongest arguments for polytheism are!

To be sure, I grew up Hindu, and many Hindu sects are polytheistic -- including my family’s. I’ve actually never thought a monotheistic religion is true. So when I became atheist, I was leaving behind a polytheistic faith (to be clear, lots of Hinduism is monotheistic too, and I don’t mean to generalize -- it’s just that my family, in particular, wasn’t). 

Agreed, but I am curious on if you are a compatibilist or hold to more of a libertarian free will? While I do think compatibilism is easier to support, I do have a lot of sympathies for libertarian free will. Our intuitions just scream that some extent of libertarian free will is true.
I’d say something closer to libertarian free will. 

I tend to think that Aristotelian Virtue Ethics is one of (if not the) best moral theories.
I know lots of virtue ethicists, yeah. I’m personally not as compelled by the arguments for it. 

This is where I disagree and think that you have some conflict in your points. if you assign a future person as having as much moral value as a present person, then how do you justify the view that "Creating new happy lives is a good thing, though not as good as making existing people happy. Creating new bad lives is a bad thing (though not as bad, other things equal, as inflicting suffering on existing people)"? I think future people certainly have moral worth, and we should act to look after future generations, but does that give it equal weight to people here today? I do not think so. Future people do not exist (yet) while present people do. I think more moral value is given to things and people that exist than things and people that do not (similar logic as to why theft, murder, etc. is wrong but playing GTA is alright).
I’m distinguishing between creating future lives and making future people (who, according to B-theories of time, exist right now) happy. I place more of a weight on the former, and the latter. 

I think there’s many good arguments for why we should value future people equally, including:
  • Thought experiments. My favorite one, adapted from Derek Parfit, is: if I drop a glass bottle in a woods, that would be irresponsible regardless of whether a child that injures themselves on it gets the injury  tomorrow, 100 years, or 500 years from now. Similarly, having a positive rate of pure time preference would mean -- at some point in the future -- the survival of humanity ends up less important than, say, me enjoying a pizza right now. 
  • According to B theories of time, people in the future do exist right now, because time is just an extension of space -- which is likely true if you take special relativity seriously. In that sense, treating future generations worse is morally equivalent to treating people who’re far away from you worse, and I don’t find that a just conclusion. 
  • It seems like it’s discrimination against an immutable characteristic. I don’t think you should be disadvantaged just because of when you were born, a characteristic you don’t choose, in decisions made by people in the past. 

Shila
Shila
I’m distinguishing between creating future lives and making future people (who, according to B-theories of time, exist right now) happy. I place more of a weight on the former, and the latter. 

I think there’s many good arguments for why we should value future people equally, including:
  • Thought experiments. My favorite one, adapted from Derek Parfit, is: if I drop a glass bottle in a woods, that would be irresponsible regardless of whether a child that injures themselves on it gets the injury  tomorrow, 100 years, or 500 years from now. Similarly, having a positive rate of pure time preference would mean -- at some point in the future -- the survival of humanity ends up less important than, say, me enjoying a pizza right now. 
  • According to B theories of time, people in the future do exist right now, because time is just an extension of space -- which is likely true if you take special relativity seriously. In that sense, treating future generations worse is morally equivalent to treating people who’re far away from you worse, and I don’t find that a just conclusion. 
  • It seems like it’s discrimination against an immutable characteristic. I don’t think you should be disadvantaged just because of when you were born, a characteristic you don’t choose, in decisions made by people in the past. 
Hard to understand why  you gave up Hinduism to entertain B Theories.
All your questions and doubts can be answered by Karma. 

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Shila
lmao
Shila
Shila
--> @Shila
lmao
Laughing from the other end is a shifting of your Karma. To laughter the proper way you need to do head stands.