Debates: 4
Greyparrot
In mass graves.
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Greyparrot
For it is the meek that do inherit the earth, it's the minority that disturb it. Doesn't say the meek will rule the earth.....the meek are the majority that inhabit it.
Read the rest of that beautiful passage, remembering that conscious life exists beyond this experience. 
Matthew 5
And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:
And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God......

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@EtrnlVw
The earth is a pretty hostile place for most life.

I'd rather inherit a hot tub and a house.
Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
The Beatitudes are quite lovely.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
In mass graves.
Graves claim the meek and the mighty alike.

The very Earth is a mass grave.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
I'll enjoy my cryotube tyvm.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
Yes, the platitudes are very lovely.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
Yes, the platitudes are very lovely.
Lol.

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
They don't. NT is Lucifer taming the masses making you a sheep instead of a glorious wolf.
disgusted
disgusted
Who says they do?
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5

If they are platitudes, they weren't when He said them. They became platitudes precisely because they were so obviously simply beautiful, yet novel and profound.

So, chuckleheads who couldn't write a hallmark card on their own can put them down as platitudes. Internet democracy.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@disgusted
Hey bully.

From vacation straight to the religion board huh?

You're a good little atheist.

Hope you had a good thanksgiving. Lol

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Greyparrot
How do the meek inherit the earth?
Who are " the meek"?

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven".

I have been told by a few here that I am extremely "poor in spirit"  and called satan and the devil and that I will be going to the fires of hell  and they all seems to have been wrong according to the verse above..  So where is "the kingdom of heaven?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
Who are " the meek"?
 I think it refers to the mass of people, that is ordinary people who are economically poor and pollitically weak.

The beatitudes are not platitudes - i.e. they are not banal truisms; they state what manifestly does not occur in this evil world.   jesus is describing conditions in a new world to come; they are promises.

jesus' message was aimed at the poor and powerless.   To the tenant struggling to pay his rent to a rich landlord the message was to 'meekly' accept it because the tables will soon turn and there rich and powerful would be brought low, e.g.

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. (matt 19:23)
Christianity was a religion born of a feeling that there was no prospect of successful revolt or rebellion against the status quo that kept the poor poor.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@keithprosser
Jesus was Lucifer. It is correct what you write except you don't know that Satan is the hero of the NT and you're seeing it from the villain's POV.
Satan wasn't Lucifer.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser
jesus is describing conditions in a new world to come; they are promises.
how would you know? You have made it clear on more than one occasion that the stories in these scriptures are fairy tales and that you don't believe them. yet here you are, telling us "what jesus meant".
The beatitudes are not platitudes
I didn't say they were. I know them simply to be a collection of sayings gathered together from many different cults of the time and presented as one single sermon that the gospellers say Jesus gave as one complete sermon.

tomeekly' accept it because the tables will soon turn and there rich and powerful would be brought low,
And nothing changed then as we still have the same issues to this day, don't we. 

Christianity was a religion born of a feeling that there was no prospect of successful revolt or rebellion 

Yes I can go someway to agreeing with you there. Jesus'   mission as the believed prophesied "one to come" messiah, failed miserably.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@RationalMadman
Satan is the hero of the NT

Which satan?  There were many. to be A Satan simply means to be an  accuser or opposer.
keithprosser
keithprosser
--> @keithprosser
jesus is describing conditions in a new world to come; they are promises.
how would you know? You have made it clear on more than one occasion that the stories in these scriptures are fairy tales and that you don't believe them. yet here you are, telling us "what jesus meant".

I'm treating 'jesus' as a character in a story, i.e. the gospel writers put those promises in their character's mouth.  But I think it likely that a human 'jesus' (on whom the story is based) would have said very similar things.  Even if the sermon on the mount never happened i think the passage reflects the world-view of early Christians.   I don't claim it is certainly so - only that i consider it probable.

ethang5
ethang5
Christianity was a religion born of a feeling that there was no prospect of successful revolt or rebellion against the status quo that kept the poor poor.

Christianity was a religion born of the revelation that there was something much better than a revolt or rebellion against the status quo that kept the poor poor. Salvation of the soul rather than simple temporary bodily satisfaction.

What shall it profit a man if he should gain the whole world, but lose his own soul?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser
I'm treating 'jesus' as a character in a story, i.e. the gospel writers put those promises in their character's mouth.

I see. I agree. These gospel writers do that, put words into Jesus' mouth. And they do it often. Yes, They tell us often what he"really was thinking" and what he "really meant". Like this >>

19 Jesus Answered them, “Destroy this temple,and in three days I will raise it up.” 20 The Jews Then said, “It took forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?” 21 But He Was speaking of the temple of His body. 

But I think it likely that a human 'jesus' (on whom the story is based) would have said very similar things

Why do you think it likely? What could possibly lead you to conclude what a "fictional character" would say or be thinking or think next ?

Even if the sermon on the mount never happened

Well if we take your view of it all being a fictional fairy tale etc,then there was every chance it didn't happen

i think the passage reflects the world-view of early Christians.  

Jesus was a  Jew, and this " sermon story" is told by a Jew to Jews, by all accounts.

I don't claim it is certainly so - only that i consider it probable.
But you have said that - "'jesus' as a character in a story" ! so how could even be "probable"?  You just love that fence don't you.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
As soon as I post you are compelled to follow me and prove what an insignificant wannabe you are. You're gonna die and you'll be dead poor little man. Fear, fear.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
But you have said that - "'jesus' as a character in a story" ! so how could even be "probable"?  You just love that fence don't you.

I don't like the fence at all!   On certain points I am not on the fence - I firnly believe the beatitudes represents the world-view of the earliest 'Christians', but I am on the fence as to whether Jesus made the public speech as described.  
ethang5
ethang5
....but I am on the fence as to whether Jesus made the public speech as described
You aren't on the fence on that Keith. But so as not to stir up the troll, we'll let that slide for now.
Stephen
Stephen
 but I am on the fence as to whether Jesus made the public speech as described.   

Jesus is a  "fictional" character in a "fictional story" according to you, so he couldn't have possibly have made that speech, according to you. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ethang5
I have no strong opinion on whether Jesus delivered the sermon on the mount.  I can see no reason why not, but its not impossible that it is was invented in order to state Christian doctrine in an accessible way.   The gospels can be viewed as a popular, story-style account aimed at ordinary folk and the epistles as written for more theologically inclined academics.
Stephen
Stephen
keithprosser wrote: ....but I am on the fence as to whether Jesus made the public speech as describe

ethang5 wrote: You aren't on the fence on that Keith. But so as not to stir up the troll, we'll let that slide for now.
So, keithprosser  makes it quite clear  that  he is " on the fence"   and ethang5 tells  keithprosser he is not on the fence  . 

So what we have here is  proof positive that these sycophantic christians will tell members what they mean and what they think.. So reminiscent of the gospel writers who , tell us what jesu was thinking and what he meant.

ethang5 is telling us AND keithprosser that he doesn't know what keithprosser is talking about even though keithprosser tells us quite clearly. that he is indeed 

"on the fence",

this is the absolute arrogance what one can expect from jumped up bible bashing christians who believe they know us better than we know ourselves and what we mean when we say something. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser
I have no strong opinion on whether Jesus delivered the sermon on the mount. 
 this is what I mean about fence sitting . you make contradictory claims.

I can see no reason why not,

Again, here you say  you cannot see why  Jesus couldn't have delivered the sermon" one one hand but yet believe the character is "fictional".

but its not impossible that it is was invented

But are not  " fictional stories" as you believe them to be,  invented?

The gospels can be viewed as a popular, story-style account aimed at ordinary folk

Ordinary folk. Are you having me on?  What "ordinary folk" could you possible mean? Those that couldn't even spell their own names not even when simplified for them as X? Not to mention read. Education didn't become compulsory in England until about 1890 , so to which "ordinary folk" do you refer to?

and the epistles as written for more theologically inclined academics.

By epistles, you mean letters, I assume, as this is what the word epistle actually means.  I will come back to this later>
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
Lol. I so enjoy this Keith. Sorry, but I do.
keithprosser
keithprosser
Stepen wrote:

Again, here you say  you cannot see why  Jesus couldn't have delivered the sermon" one one hand but yet believe the character is "fictional".

but its not impossible that it is was invented

But are not  " fictional stories" as you believe them to be,  invented?

Suppose I made up a story about you to help explain your beliefs to a wider audience.    The story would be a fiction and 'Stephen' would be a character within that fiction - 'real Stephen' never did or said what is in the story.

In such circumstances, is 'Stephen' in the story a real person or a fictional character?

I don't know if Jesus really delivered the speech or the episode was made up as a means to tell people what the Christian message was - and neither does anybody else.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser

Suppose I made up a story about you to help explain your beliefs to a wider audience
And you are forgetting that these are "god inspired" gospel truths, according to Christians. This is besides the fact  that I am real and you deny the existence of Jesus As a true human being that did once exist.  

The story would be a fiction and 'Stephen' would be a character within that fiction - 'real Stephen' never did or said what is in the story.

Then the story would be pointless, and as you have made clear, Jesus didn’t exist, where as I do.

You see Keith as I have told you before,this is what one comes up against once one dismisses something out of hand.

From where did Matthew Get the Sermon on the Mount?
 Mark didn’t even  know about it.   Luke edited  it considerably, which must have meant that he found Matthew’s account unreliable and so felt free to change the wording. and John chose not to repeat it in his gospel yet this is supposed to be the greatest sermon known to man. 

I don't know if Jesus really delivered the speech

See, it is there again. You do know he couldn't have possibly delivered this sermon because you tell us often, that you don't believe he existed. It  is  all fairy tales and they are all characters in a story -  or words to that effect according to you. Your trying to play both sides of the court. 

- and neither does anybody else.
 I believe Ethang5 would give you an argument there ( if he wasn't to busy trying in vain to debunk me at every turn).