Media Bias Thread

Author: Swagnarok

Total: 59
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Alright, I never bothered to do this in the past, and I don't know how well this little experiment will work out.

There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that the press works tirelessly to help the Democratic Party win elections by painting President Trump, the GOP, and conservatives in the most negative light humanly possible. In this thread, I will attempt to provide proof of this, and perhaps convince a few people in the process.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
Alright, let's start off with this article by ABC:

Note first of all that this is NOT labeled as an opinion article. So they really have no excuse for this one. As usual, they use the term "White Supremacist" as a blanket term for all the right-wingers gathered at Charlottesville last year, even though considerably less than half of those in attendance could be considered as such. Many, perhaps most could be considered white nationalists (not the same thing as white supremacists), but not all of them could be considered as this.
Last year, Trump said that "both sides" were responsible for the violence. This was not an unfactual statement, and it shouldn't have been controversial: left-wing counterprotesters chose to show up to the rally which the right-wing protesters had a permit for and stir up trouble. We have a picture of a counterprotester throwing a newspaper box at a protester. One counterprotester was wielding a lighted spray can (effectively, an improvised flamethrower). There's a photo of at least one protester with a big swell and fresh cut on his face. The counterprotesters seized and burned flags from protesters, and I'm sure they didn't just ask for the flags. There is no doubt that the counterprotesters engaged in unlawful and violent activities.
The source of the protest (the "Unite the Right" rally) in the first place was the scheduled removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee, the confederate general who brilliantly led the Confederate army during the Civil War. The statue had been in place since 1924. Some of the people wanted the statue to remain for white supremacist reasons, but there are also more sensible reasons for opposing its removal.

Anyways, when Trump said that "both sides" were behind the violence, he said something that about half of the country (the conservative half) agreed with and half of the country (the liberal half) was outraged over. However, the latter half's outrage was unreasonable. Trump didn't say "Those Antifa goons shouldn't have been there", but instead rightly blamed both sides. This was about as close to bipartisan as one's gonna get with President Trump. It was a more or less Presidential thing to say, and in any case it was not the media's place to decide whether or not Trump said the right thing. Instead, they took what he said and tried to turn it into some kind of big controversy.
And now, one year later, those same people try to look back on Trump's statement as something that still "puts him on the spot" today, even though literally the only reason he was ever in a "spot" for this is because of the media's unethical interference.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
Good grief, somebody please update the edit feature. It only allowed for one time.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Swagnarok
Very true.

And now that the Hillery collusion details are coming out, we see it was even worse, the media, a political party, and the FBI and Justice departments were in collusion to nullify an election.

The greatest danger to this country is not terrorists, global warming, or ICE, it's stupid Americans.
ravensjt
Debates: 0
ravensjt
-->
@Swagnarok
The problem is that you dont make a moral equivalence between a group of Demonstrators who have a large number or Racists (White Supremists or Nationalists, whatever) and those who go out preaching equality for everybody.

And I'm sorry but If I'm at a rally and I see those protesting alongside me with ideas that I don't share then I'm backing out.

The President has shown the thin line between someone who is a Racist and someone who is racially ignorant

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@ravensjt
Hey Raven. I see you made it. Cool pic. Would have loved to have listened to that convo.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Swagnarok
Do you include Fox News as part of the press?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I think all sources have a bias one way or another. Fox and CNN are both untrustworthy in general. Even internet sites usually favor one side or another. When you look back people will say Walter Cronkite was neutral but it turns out he wasn't. He was very liberal and paid for demonstrations and then reported on them appearing to be neutral. Now media sources don't hide their stances. It doesn't help most are run by rich guys and companies who use them to lobby public opinion. Doesn't matter. Things work the way they are supposed to. Read or watch enough you start to get bits of truth. 
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@ravensjt
The problem is that you dont make a moral equivalence between a group of Demonstrators who have a large number or Racists (White Supremists or Nationalists, whatever) and those who go out preaching equality for everybody.
You're demonising racial interest, but only when white people do it.

Surprise, surprise, you're a Progressive black guy.

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Zarroette
By 'only' do you mean he didn't type out he's against it when others do it?
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@RationalMadman
By 'only' do you mean he didn't type out he's against it when others do it?
Wow, yes. It's almost as if you rephrased what I wrote. It's a miracle what we wrote is synonymous.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Zarroette
So in your eyes if someone doesn't type extra text it means they disagree with it?
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@RationalMadman
Most likely. It's not an absolute. I'm judging by contextual cues.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Zarroette
In context of what whites have done to other races throughout history, is it necessary to defend black supremacy in such a post as he made?
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@Stronn
I do not, for the same reason that I do not include the Huffington Post.
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@ravensjt
you dont make a moral equivalence between a group of Demonstrators who have a large number or Racists (White Supremists or Nationalists, whatever) and those who go out preaching equality for everybody.

Why not? A component of morality is practical effect thereof. Practicality plays a heavy hand in quite a few rralmsr🤔
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@RationalMadman
In context of what whites have done to other races throughout history,

But not the context of history overall? Conveniently specious scope of nuance 😏

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Buddamoose
Go ahead and look at history overall. Then come back to me about why the Ottoman Empire and White-run empires compare in atrocity to the tribal wars of the blacks which are literally NEVER to do with their supremacy over other races.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@RationalMadman
Ottoman Empire and White-run empires compare in atrocity to the tribal wars of the blacks 
Again, conveniently specious scope of nuance. Firjust just white > black. Then now just Ottomon Empire, as if that's either the only non-white empire ever, or the only one of sigbifigance(how bigoted 😏). 
which are literally NEVER to do with their supremacy over other races.

Ohhhh, so atrocities are perfectly acceptable, just as long as theyre not about race, a concept thats been tooled around with maybe the past few hundred years. Also, again, rather specious scope of history 🤔

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
 compare in atrocity to the tribal wars of the blacks 
Hold up, you do understand, Africa had empires... 🙊

ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@Zarroette
There is no reason for you to draw that conclusion from what I said

It's a weak Ad Hom.

As a side note, I am more critical of Blacks ( since they represent me in the eyes of many) than I am of any other Race.

Your response to me has thus failed on many levels Bro

So as I said before which you choose to ignore.... there is no moral equivalence between those who fight racism and those who promote it
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@ravensjt
Racism doesn't exist. Period.
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@ethang5
Hey Brother, thanks for the invite to the forum
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@Zarroette
I have a father who wasn't allowed to drink from "White Only" water fountains and wasn't allowed to go to "White Only" schools who would disagree with you

I also have a great great grandfather who's best friend was lynched in South Carolina who would like to have a word with you too.

To deny racism is the textbook example of "privilege" if ever there was one

Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@ravensjt
I have a father who wasn't allowed to drink from "White Only" water fountains and wasn't allowed to go to "White Only" schools who would disagree with you
Segregation.

I also have a great great grandfather who's best friend was lynched in South Carolina who would like to have a word with you too.
Racial hatred.

Anything else, dummy?
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@Zarroette
Segregation based off of racism.....

Racial Hatred? But you just said there was no such thing as Racism....

Your Ad Homs are only showing your failure in this thread Bro..... please try harder

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Zarroette
 Racism doesn't exist. Period
If you mean by way of "systemic" the reasonable case could be made that welfare systems operate as a form of systemic racism, but systemic by way of codified law? Read somewhere Asians get docked 50 points on SAT scores, that might indirectly count as that.

Doesn't mean there isnt racism still. Even if you take into account "race" biologically not being a valid taxonomical classification, people can still be "racist" in acting upon such "symbolic" classifications, and thus there necessarily can be "racism" in turn. 

To deny racism is the textbook example of "privilege" if ever there was one

Or it could just be someone being obtuse. Confirmation bias much? 😰

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
and those who go out preaching equality for everybody

This is also quite a disgenuine representation of Antifa 😰. As if they only show up when white supremacists show up 😂. 

You just see no issue with it because:

there is no moral equivalence between those who fight racism and those who promote it

racism = bad, not racist therefore always good. Thats lacking in... what is it? Rationality and nuance 🙊

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Zarroette

ravensjt was not disrespectful to you in any way. Why the insult? Do you intend to diminish yourself?

Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@ravensjt
Segregation based off of racism.....
Racism is a meaningless term. I might re-post my thread debunking racism.

Racial Hatred? But you just said there was no such thing as Racism....
Racism, in effect, isn't entirely synonymous with racial hatred, hence why I claim that racism doesn't exist/it's a meaningless term.

To be clear: you can certainly hate someone for their race.

Your Ad Homs are only showing your failure in this thread Bro..... please try harder
Yet you were unable to quote these "Ad Homs". So, I guess they're not showing.