Most people

Author: Alec

Total: 43
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
Do you know why most people on this site don't participate in debates?
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@Alec
Because we barely have any people here lol
Alec
Alec
-->
@DebateArt.com
But https://www.debateart.com/leaderboard/debates?page=2 states that most people who are on the site did nothing on the site.
David
Debates: 91
David
This has kinda been a problem on DDO as well. The vast majority of people seem to prefer to talk on the forums than in actual formal debates. 
Alec
Alec
Most people don't participate in anything on this site.  They don't engage in forms.  They don't engage in debates.  They don't don't comment or vote.  They are in the site in nothing but an account.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Alec
Alec, you will find that on DI (which is more popular) and even larger percent post twice per month than here etc. The majority being inactive/lazy/incompetent is true in all communities. If the majority are both competent and active, your community is too secluded.
Alec
Alec
I don't like the format of debate island.  I prefer this one because it is like DDO, but without the glitches.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
Yeah, I think RM is right. All I can add is that I have finished some SEO fixes and maybe in a couple of months we'll have some people from Google as well but who knows ... Also I will try to attract people from Facebook groups devoted to debates, maybe we'll have some luck there.      
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Reasons:

1. Ringer voting
2. Silly debate topics
3. Unfair vote moderation (has recently been better)

That's it.

Alec
Alec
Do you know why DA, DDO, and DI combined have very few people?  Compared to everyone in the entire country, I would expect millions of people to be on the site.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Alec
Probably because this is just a narrowly focused website, I don't think we'll ever have any huge number of people here. All we can hope for is to build a nice and active community, but I doubt it will ever be big. 
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
This. Pretty much this.

DART is a very niche site. The best way I think we could market is by inviting debate teams to join the site and use the site as debate practice and other stuff.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
Yeah, exactly. I imagine that at some point we may make it interesting for some other folk that don't participate in the debates but like some other formats but it will be in the future, at the moment debates are the priority. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@DebateArt.com
Debates are a narrow topic?  I thought that this site would be good for anyone arguing public policy and political issues.

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Alec
I don’t really have time to debate, plus I’m on a phone most of the time - so I try and read debates and vote. Forum posts are far less time intensive.

Plus occasionally some idiot looses their shit and freaks out over a single vote, and decides because of that one vote I’m an evil asshole who is part of a secret vote rigging cabal. Which is nice.

Alec
Alec
-->
@Ramshutu
Your active though.  You comment on other people's debates and you vote.  You have as of right now more silver badges then I do and almost as many bronze.  Also, do you have a computer?  If you do, you can use that to debate.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Alec
i have a computer, I also have a small child: so an occasional forum post in between chores, a vote while I’m having a poop, or during the morning commute, or time whilst I’m compiling is most of what I have time for. If there’s a really tasty debate that falls on the right day or time, maybe: but not right now. I’m happy being an impartial debate judge right now.
Castin
Castin
Not a lot of people want to mess with a formal debate with rules and time constraints and homework involved. You get more instant gratification from posting in the forums, it's much freer and much less of a commitment, and you get all the added benefits of a dialogue where three or more people can join in. It's way more social, and people are social animals.

I suspect this will be the case in most places that offer formal debates as well as forums. There seemed to be only a minority of active debaters on DDO as well.

ethang5
ethang5
I’m happy being an impartial debate judge right now.
Lol.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@ethang5
You still clinging to the idiotic lie that I never vote against the liberal or atheist position, despite having multiple examples of me doing just that rubbed in your face repeatedly?

Kinda hard to repeat that lie with a straight face when every response is wall of links showing just the votes you claim I never make!

ethang5
ethang5
You protest and insult a little too strongly for a guy with a wall of links in his favor. I checked your links, and found not only are you a ringer, you are a liar.

Throwing a conduct vote to a non-atheist while giving majority points to the atheist is not a "vote for" homer. But that is understandable, atheists need the cheat. Your position is poor and illogical as it is.

We also see who always votes in tandem with you. I have never called for any restrictions on you. Even with your cabal, theist and conservative debates have done well. Imagine how it would if the voting was fair?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@ethang5
There’s only so much I can do, when I produce multiple links of me voting in favour of a conservative or theist position: and you ignore every link, post no evidence, and simply say “no, you still voted against the conservative”,I can’t really help you if you’re that biased and deluded you can’t even give up a lie when called out with evidence.

“This horse is a gift for how bravely you fought in the war”,
Agamemnon, 2000bc 

“I see no ships”
  • Admiral Lord Nelson 1805

“I am not a crook”
  • Richard Nixon, 1973

“Tis but a flesh wound”
  • The Black Night, 1975

“I did not have sexual relations with that woman”
  • Bill Clinton, 1998

“There are no American Tanks in Baghdad”
  • Muhammad Saeed Al Sabah, 2003

“This was the biggest crowd to view an inauguration in history, period” 
  • Sean Spicer, 2016

“Ramshutu NEVER votes against the liberal/atheist position”
  • Ethang5, 2018

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Because the forums are where the word spread this place was open and most of those here are forum members. If you want more debaters close the forums. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Ramshutu
OK. You're as pure as the driven snow.

You so underestimated the gentle reader, that you thought no one would notice you were a ringer.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@ethang5
Yes. With my vote history clearly showing I vote for different ideological positions, and both for and against specific people, everyone can see that I’m definitely, definitely a ringer.

Keep trying to convince yourself though, it looks great.

ethang5
ethang5

A full forfeit. Neither party posted a single word. You awarded every point to your client.

Every other voter called it a tie. The ringer, like a classy hitman, always fulfills his contract.

...it looks great.
It may look great, but it stinks. Next time there is a full ff, tie the score genius.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@ethang5
hahahahahahaha

I voted against the side that didn’t post anything - unless both sides forfeit every round. I do that everywhere. 

You’re really reaching if literally the only example of a bad vote is where I voted against a forfeit debate where someone was there and the other was not.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@ethang5

This is is a religious debate, where I cast a vote for the theist side as part of my anti-theist voting cabal - primarily because the theist made a better argument. You can see my nefarious and evil tactics of providing an explanation, and justification of my vote that is within the voting guidelines, making it look (despite me being the spawn of Satan), as if I am “posting a legitimate vote”.

ethang5
ethang5
I voted against the side that didn’t post anything
Neither side posted anything Gomer. And you were the only one who voted for one side.

- unless both sides forfeit every round.
That is exactly what happened liar. You even noted it was a full forfeit. Yet you voted for your client. Please, stop embarrassing yourself.

Ringer busted.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@ethang5
one side posted “forefeit indicating that they were waiting for arguments”, forfeit votes are punatitive measure against those who start debates and don’t turn up.

But thank you for showing everyone that the worst example you have of my voting - is me voting against someone who started a debate, and didn’t turn up, vs someone who at least was there!