Can anyone explain this nonsense?

Author: Stephen

Total: 72
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
What does it mean and why shouldn't anyone save for a rainy day and or retirement.

“Do not lay up foryourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thievesbreak in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, whereneither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. Forwhere your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Poor reading comprehension is shameful.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@ethang5
That isn't very edifying.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
Maybe this passage from Paul's letter to Timothy might help flesh it out a little bit more...

"godliness with contentment is great gain.For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

ethang5
ethang5
True. 

This is an excellent time for a lesson.

Go ahead, give him something you think will be edifying. You will see why sometimes edification is not correct or appropriate.

Go ahead. Show me wrong.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ethang5
If not for him, for someone else.

ethang5
ethang5
Well, what I posted was for him.

The time for edifying the Gentle Reader will come.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Saving for a rainy day and being Steve Jobs or Donald Trump are not the same.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
And how is your gathering of wealth going?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Stephen
“Do not lay up foryourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thievesbreak in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, whereneither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. Forwhere your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21."
What does it mean

This is very simple, it's a pretty universal and basic spiritual principle. You don't study other religions? the meaning is quite to the point if you don't try and distort it....it just means don't get caught up in worldly attachments and desires where they become a priority over other more important things, like the things that remain with you when you leave the body or the aspects of life that involve more quality relations. Physical things and material possessions we need to survive while we are here but they are not to be put before things that truly matter, Jesus' teachings are always principle oriented, meaning they always teach you about priorities and what really matters in life. 

It's the classic Christmas story analogy really, Scrooge spent his entire life valuing treasures on earth (such as stacking chips) while neglecting the more weightier matters of life. This is all Jesus really meant, you can't take with you material objects and material possessions are something we can work for but not something we should invest our "heart" in.....and so don't put them (material possessions) before things that really matter, it's a priorities scenario. Jesus also knew that whatever you put your interest in and passion towards is where your heart really is, again spirituality is always challenging the individual to look past the material frame of mind or the carnal nature. It goes back to the very first principle the Gospels refer to, that which is flesh is flesh and that which is spirit is spirit. The one thing I love about the teachings of Jesus is that they are principle oriented, many people get stumped by his illustrations yet they are simple to the spiritually minded individual, which is simply about organizing priorities. 

keithprosser
keithprosser
It is rational advice if this world is about to end and be replaced by a new order.   Luke's advice is even stronger:

Lk 12:33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

The early church expected the faithful to follow that advice.   Acts 5 tells of what befell a husband and wife who did not follow it:

Acts 5:5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.

You have been warned!

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Stephen
Matthew is the first 'book' in the first BOOK of Lucifer, the New Testament (NT) Bible. It's best to treat the NT Bible as a taming mantra for the masses.

Jesus was Lucifer, Lucifer was not Satan... Satan was God of OT. Thanks for understanding. Jesus is the flesh-form of the ACTUAL devil. The "DEVIL" is not who you think, Satan was not the actual devil but let's just say he was as this term 'devil' is pointless. Satan is enemy of Jesus, not enemy of God. Lucifer is enemy of God, Lucifer is Jesus. Understand yet?  IGNORE NEW TESTAMENT I BEG YOU.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@EtrnlVw
This is very simple,...........it just means don't get caught up in worldly attachments and desires where theybecome a priority over other more important things, like the things that remainwith you when you leave the body or the aspects of life that involve more quality relations.

So to simplify itsimply means “you can’t take it with you”.?
Why didn’t he just saythat.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser
It is rational advice if this world is about to end and be replaced by a new order.   Luke's advice is even stronger:

Lk 12:33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Do you not see how stupid and backward and contradictory Luke is being here. Or he is simply taking advantage of the naive and illiterate of the time.

I'll explain shall I.

What would be the point of giving to "the poor"  IF as you say,  "this world is about to end"?
It would only make sense if "the poor" meant something else entirely.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser
Acts 5:5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
  Yes, I thoroughly enjoy this silly story. One the face of it, we see people - a man and his wife - simply falling down dead and being buried because they hadn't handed over all their hard earned cash.

I covered this in some depth in my thread here>> 

Lazarus, theraising

it seems as quick as someone can be raised from the "dead"  they can just as quick drop down "dead" too.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@RationalMadman
IGNORE NEW TESTAMENT I BEG YOU.
I enjoy the reading the bible. I honestly don't believe it should be ignored.  I don't believe it is true as it has come down to us, that is to say, I don't believe it it to be the whole gospel truth about The Christ and his teachings. There's definitely and underlining story within these NT scriptures , just below the surface, that these gospel writers are desperate to hide.  This is why on the face of them,  none of these stories make any sense.

As Keith prosser pointed out the silly story about the husband and wife  - 
Ananias &  Sapphira above, just "dropping down dead". These stories simply have to mean something other than what is written on the surface. 

But this has nothing to do with the OP. So I will leave it there. If you wish to know what I believe is going on in this instance I ask you to read this thread of mine here>>>:

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Stephen
I read it and it doesn't make sense to me.

From Jesus to you:

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

Yes I got that " can't take it with you" from the story. BUT!!!!! my fawning sycophantic friend, You will now have to explain this verse away;
 that seems to go against EVERYTHING jesus is teaching here.

AtII Chronicles 1:12, God promised Solomon: “Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after they have the like.”

Off you trot now, see what your teachers feeds you to relay in response. But you are going to have to come up with a beauty to explain away why god just didn't grant Solomon what he had " wisely"  asked for? Why all the bells and whistles and other shiney trimmings, 

" that he can't take with him"!!!!!

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Saving for a rainy day and being Steve Jobs or Donald Trump are not the same.

Like this you mean 1 Kings 10: 14.

The weight of the gold that Solomon received yearly was 666 talents not including the revenues from merchants and traders and from all the Arabian kings and the governors of the territories.  That is about 30 tons or about 23 metric tons.= $250 million today.

Yes, he loved his shiny things did Solomon, poly

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
Acts 5 indicates the early church resembled millenarian cults such as the Branch Dravidians and Heaven's Gate.  Human psychology has changed less in 2000 years than migt be supposed.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Mopac
...that seems to go against EVERYTHING jesus is teaching here.
At II Chronicles 1:12, God promised Solomon:
See? He called your explanation silly and instantly jumped to yet another passage. Answer this one and he will just grafitti yet another passage. You are well meaning and young. Even your Lord Jesus was not always pleasant with everyone.

Some people get the word, and some people get the whip.

ethang5
ethang5
Acts 5 indicates the early church resembled millenarian cults such as the Branch Dravidians and Heaven's Gate.  
Or cults such as the Branch Dravidians and Heaven's Gate try to resemble the Early Church. As the early church preceded, I find that to be more logical. But you needed the "guilt by association", so hence the slick wordage.

Human psychology has changed less in 2000 years than migt be supposed.
But not you. You're the new man. Humanitarian and progressive. Nothing like the early church who are just like the Branch Dravidians and Heaven's Gate cults.

Lol. What makes you funny is not your clumsiness, but that you think you are so graceful.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser
and your opinion on Luke's pointless statement that you posted?

Lk 12:33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. 

Do you not see how absolutely pointless less this would be?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
I think the logic is that the Christians imagined they would - by their sacrifice of earthly things - be the elite in the new order.    The 'ordinary' poor would have a place in the new earth but landlords, corrupt priests etc. would not.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
I think the glories of Solomon were very exaggerated.   The writers wanted to create an image of a glorious golden age of israel which can exist again if the people are obedient to their god, YHWH.    Archaeology casts doubt that the empires of David and Solomon were as grand as the scriptures state.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
See? He called your explanation silly and instantly jumped to yet another passage.

Nope I have responded once to mopec on this thread at post 18. You won't find the word "SILLY"  in that post. STOP LYING!!!!

You really are blind as to what I have wrote. My response was to the verse that mopac had posted and to his explanation of what the OP  verse  meant. I agreed with him, but only  to a point.   My point in posting a contrary verse was to highlight the glaring contradiction as to the actions of god to what Jesus  teaches. You clown.  And you cannot square the contradiction, can you, you clown.

AND I notice AGAIN that you  have given this a wide berth too. You always leave it to the atheist to try to explain what is meant. Strange that, don't you think?

Atheist such as keith prosser who doesn't believe a word of the scriptures, and believes them all to be tall stories; fairy tales, actually attempting to explain ... the scriptures. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser
I think the glories of Solomon were very exaggerated.

Yes, I know you do. You don't believe any of it. You have made that point very clear and on many occasions (do you need reminding?) . But here you are again, given an explanation of what it may all mean and the opinions of Archaeologists who do seem to believe in the existence of these biblical characters, as I do , exaggerated or not. 

And you have missed the point. One one hand we have god handing out prizes of gold and other treasure and in mass amounts according to the scripture, and on the other we are told by his only son, not to gather earthly things because we can't take them with us. 

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stephen
Atheist such as keith prosser who doesn't believe a word of the scriptures, 
Keith knows, and more importantly, understands scripture better than you are capable of.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
Atheist such as keith prosser who doesn't believe a word of the scriptures, and believes them all to be tall stories; fairy tales, actually attempting to explain ... the scriptures. 
'Don't believe a word of it' is a very simplistic view of my attitude to scripture!   What I find difficult is to understand what you believe!  You seem to believe one verse but not another on no consistent basis - that puts atheists and theists off!

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ethang5
Keith knows, and more importantly, understands scripture better than you are capable of.
OPINION, you clown.

But he doesn't believe what you say he knows does he?  You clown. And that is the difference, you clown. I have at least squeezed him to admit that Jesus -   minus the miracles - actually existed, which is more than you ever got out of him with your abuse. 

It also hasn't gone unnoticed how far your tongue has reached up into the hole of your one time nemesis.  Proper little yes man now aren't you. Lick , creep, lick creep, lick creep.