If I had known this at 16, I'd have done everything so differently.

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 27
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Your studies, your life and all of it is materialistic but the way you experience it and endure the hardship isn't.

You are nothing without money, money does not buy happiness, it buys pleasure and freedom. You can be happy but unfree and enduring displeasure with mental discipline, while poor but every fucking choice you make from 16 and up at school and from then on should be geared to getting jobs that pay well, point blank period.

I messed up, don't do what I did. Don't follow your heart, don't go for subjects you aren't already naturally very adept at, stick with your strengths but not the ones that don't have a job down the line. Work your ass off and then be free later.

I did my life wrong, I was true to false principles and am never going to be that rich because of what I did wrong. I don't want to be too rich, I want to be very wealthy and use it to help others, I will never be rich enough to, I messed up. Now that I didn't, I have to sacrifice my freedom and pleasure to gain money to gain freedom and pleasure for many years to come.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
but every fucking choice you make from 16 and up at school and from then on should be geared to getting jobs that pay well, point blank period.
Umm... Most 16 year olds like me are preparing for College unable to predict what jobs in the future pay well.

I remember Steve Jobs has said that you can only connect your dots in life backwards after you have been through all, but not forwards. How are we young people supposed to know? Guesswork?

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
It 'would be nice, to retire early in life,

Takes money to make money, even in just investments, so sooner one has money, sooner it can ease life.

But,
I also take the view, I never know when I'm going to die,
So I don't plan far ahead,
Which hurts a 'bit, when I 'reach ahead,
But I don't go 'too wild,
A lazy ant,
Rather than a lazy grasshopper, leaves one with 'something, to tide the winter.

. .
I've thought before to myself though,
It's odd I don't hear or see more 'clans,
Clans of families I mean,
'Assuming it's a family you can trust,
Money pooled, multiples quickly, by the number of family members,
And, as said earlier, money to make money.

Well, 'can make money without money, but easier with money.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
Protip: do not go for languages unless you want to be a journalist or interpreter.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
Steve Jobs is a lucky guy. Most of us need to plan ahead.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Lemming
Among the elite (1%ers and a bit below), what you call clans wjth trust funds exist.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
A grade B towards a C in mathematics is worth an A in English.

A grade C in IT is worth an A in geography.

Pick ALL subjects you already do well in and work hard at them furiously.

Do not stack sciences and miss out IT or mathematics just to be a doctor, go with the studies you do well at and see a job down the line for. Natural talent and your brain structure matter too.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
@Intelligence_06
A day is only 24 hours long and you've got to be somewhere doing something.

A lot of that time is dedicated to basic functionality.

A smaller proportion is hunter gathering time

And a smaller proportion still is leisure.

Don't be fooled by media propaganda into thinking that the lives of rich people are any different.

Contentment is in how we socially interact and how we manage our thoughts.

And "If" is a futile thought.

Steve Jobs suffered the effects of pancreatic cancer for eight years and died at the age of 56.

So just aspire to backward tick your dots better than that.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@zedvictor4
One 'does hear about rich people who abuse drugs, depressed, try to kill themselves, divorce, and whatnot,
Though I couldn't talk percentages,

I've read before, that there tends to be a threshold,
When more money doesn't add significantly to happiness,
I'd imagine the money before that threshold, eliminates many base problems people have, safety, food, shelter,
But life still has many other needs.

Hm, it's also more 'celebrities, than 'working rich people I hear that though,
Whether because 'celebrities have less meaning more stress,
Or because paparazzi spotlight is more on them, I couldn't say.

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@RationalMadman
I did my life wrong
Youth is wasted on the young
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@RationalMadman
I did my life wrong, I was true to false principles and am never going to be that rich because of what I did wrong.
This isn't true. I would say a lot of what you wrote is true. You say to do what comes naturally to you. I agree with it. My brother is a terrible writer, he doesn't really have a knack for it and he doesn't know how to get better. He thinks he will get better by reading. He has like 12 published books and has wasted so much time on a dream not meant for him. 

I would say you are wrong about the fact you'll never be rich. First and foremost, you don't need to be. It ultimately doesn't matter too much, but you can be very wealthy if you want to be. I. The next 12 weeks, if you get off of this site and devote energy to it, you likely can gain enough software engineering skills to bullshit your way into a 6 figures job. 

Sales, if you are very targeted with the type of selling you do can lead to 6 figures relatively fast. 

I know 6 figures isn't rich but gaining the 6 figures skill is just step one . 

Out of the 2 options I gave you that will turn your life around extremely fast, the software engineering gives you several ways you can use those skills to start a multitude of businesses in your part time. 

Sales skills is all you need to start a business. I could get on the phone and secure $200 tomorrow by just cold calling people to set up appointments for some random bullshit like promising their businesses reputation management, or more reach with their ads. Or if I didn't want to do B2B, I could seriously go and secure a roofing company to pay me a huge commission on every solar contract I sell and then start banging on doors and then hire commission only workers to also bang on doors. 

You are fine. Stop giving a shit. Just go get paid. Remember I mentioned getting a sales job with zero experience last year. It was a low paying sales job. I never did sales before. I was making $1500 a week, with zero experience. I just copied what the best people where I worked did and then tried to improve on it. Before I quit they were offering me a chance to triple that money with a higher sales position. The company was unethical so I left, but anyone can do that shit. I was on the path to make 6 figures in a handful of months. No big deals. 

Those skills. I could sell my own product with those skills I gained. I don't need a company. I could literally secure millions. So can you. You just keep securing recurring streams of revenue by selling something that has recurring fees and you scaled . Or you do large cash investment one time purchases so you can make several thousand per sale. Or go even bigger, get fewer sales and more infrequently but make $100,000 per sale with some bullshit. 

Any day you can decide to take this energy you spend debating stupid shit and apply it to becoming a millionaire. I bet if you start today, by 2024 you will make $10,000 a month and by 2026 you will be able to call yourself a millionaire. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Intelligence_06
I remember Steve Jobs has said that you can only connect your dots in life backwards after you have been through all, but not forwards. How are we young people supposed to know? Guesswork?
I actually take issue with Steve jobs bullshit commencement speech. These rich guys often forget where they were before becoming rich and focus on what they want and regret now. 

Ateve jobs said "do what you love". The guy did some rather boring grunt work to get where he was. Stuff he certainly didn't love. One of his employees pushed him on it at one point and he said "look we can't just do what we love, we actually need to do the shit work also" or something along those lines. So really the guy is just giving bad advice. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Lemming
  • Takes money to make money, even in just investments, so sooner one has money, sooner it can ease life

Money flows. It is like water. You just have to direct it's flow to you. You don't need a dime. Some guy sold the Eiffel tower for almost a billion dollars. He didn't even have the tower. You just got to make sure money flows to you, you don't need money to do that. 

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Ateve jobs said "do what you love". The guy did some rather boring grunt work to get where he was. Stuff he certainly didn't love. One of his employees pushed him on it at one point and he said "look we can't just do what we love, we actually need to do the shit work also" or something along those lines. So really the guy is just giving bad advice. 
You need to do the shitwork in order to achieve what you actually love, and the shit-work is a part of achieving what you love. Suppose you love a singer and would like to attend his concert that is 4 hours drive away, and your car breaks down in a gas station 2 hours away. Refueling your car and repairing it is the shit-work in the process, but having your car refueled and repaired is needed for what you actually want to do, which is goint to the concert. That is obviously better than nothing at all.

Only having yourself doing what you "love" is unrealistic, but having your shitwork contributing to what you love is realistic and essential.

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
These rich guys often forget where they were before becoming rich and focus on what they want and regret now. 
I would argue that Steve Jobs did it MUCH better than some of the other rich dudes, namely Elon Musk. At least he dedicated more of his life to Apple products than money itself compared to some of the other guys. Surely, Apple has turned itself into a money extractor by the end of his life, but it is that after he died, the money-extraction degree skyrocketed then.

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Intelligence_06
Elon musk's advice to get where he is, is much better than the advice Jobs gives. I heard him tell a kid something along the lines of

"You don't want to be me. This isn't for everybody"

The guy works from the moment he wakes up until the moment he sleeps, all with one goal in mind. There is a reason nobody can stay married to him
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Except you proposed that Elon Musk has better advice of getting to where he is, at the same time as telling me how getting where he is is unrealistic and he knows that. Which one is it.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Intelligence_06
Except you proposed that Elon Musk has better advice of getting to where he is, at the same time as telling me how getting where he is is unrealistic and he knows that. Which one is it.

If you could read between the lines, he was saying work from the moment you wake up until you go to sleep with one goal in mind. It will destroy your close relationships and you will have to abandon any semblance of balance in your life.

That is his advice to get where he is. It seems honest. 

sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
Shitty attitude and lack of motivation/ambition are the real disabilities in life. With that said 99% of the people in first world areas have one or both of these disabilities that includes me.  The self made spend little or no time doing useless stuff that doesn't promote their goals. Take fucking around on debate websites for instance. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
I'm not brave enough to risk jail,
Also wouldn't feel good conning people, probably.

There 'are smart and lucky people,
People who find gold nuggets in rivers,
People whose idea light off, sell well, like Facebook,

Though in any of those, I suppose there's 'still work, effort,
Hm, I'm also a bit lazy, perhaps,
Also can't think of any ideas, paths, that I think are winners.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
We soooooo overestimate what we can do in a year. 
We soooooo underestimate what we can do in 10 or 20 years.  
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
It would be good to stop the people/ friends  i know whom have committed suicide and got murdered.  
FREE PEOPLE FROM CONCERN. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Buy certain automobiles.  

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Don't get busted by the cops.
On. ( look up you criminal record )  
This day , that day them days and that time and then.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Get life insurance policies on certain people 

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Lemming
I'm not brave enough to risk jail,
The principle is what's important, besides that you risk jail everytime you leave the house. It is doubtful you memorized millions of pages of law books and it's also doubtful you can reasonably do anything to prevent being falsely accused of a crime. 

Also wouldn't feel good conning people, probably.

Get over it.

Hm, I'm also a bit lazy, perhaps,

Correct. Just get better at fighting it. If you aren't working from the moment you wake up until you are asleep, you are lazy. 

Also can't think of any ideas, paths, that I think are winners
Read my response to RM. Go into sales, if you are a pussy who can't conquer social anxiety, take an IQ test. A legitimate one. If it is 130 or above go ahead into tech. You might be able to get away with doing it with an IQ of 120. If you have an IQ below that and can't conquer social anxiety go into the trades. Learn a trade and then try to turn your trade into a business and steal your bosses clients. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
: D
Some situations are more expected to occur than others,
I think committing a crime would 'greatly increase the odds of me going to jail,

I'd rather not get over feeling bad for conning people,

Eh, bit of an overstatement, to say work from dawn to dusk, or lazy.

I would agree you're right though, that people can get a degree in this or that, pursue higher paying jobs,
Or just jobs they enjoy more than other jobs.