Would you date someone with polar opposite beliefs to yours?

Author: Lunatic

Total: 32
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
Just curious, when dating if people generally try to find similar thinking partners, or if they like someone to challenge the beliefs they have. Or somewhere in the middle? 

Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Lunatic
That's an interesting question.

I think masculine men enjoy the challenge of intellectually attacking a woman's worldview, whilst women like to be challenged, too. Although, I think in terms of long-term relationships, polar opposite beliefs are going to destroy the relationship.

Not that I bother with dating anymore, but I did enjoy fiery, intellectual battles with smart women.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
We wouldn't fall in love to begin with. Answer is no because if you're with someone with such a different outlook on life you're either with them for money, reputation and/or to use and abuse them for other nefarious purposes; you can't possibly love them on any personal level.
triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
There exists such a polarization of modern politics that the left and right wing are divided by subculture. Therefore, no, in this day and age such can not occur and manifest as a long term relationship. 
XLAV
XLAV
Me and my girlfriend for two years are almost total opposites and we're still going strong. 

I'm an atheist, She's a catholic.
I'm a slacker. She's studious.
I'm a quiet guy. She's talkative.
I like to party. She hates parties. 
My parents spoiled me. Her parents disciplined her. 
I like business. She hates business or dealing with money in general. 
I like competitive games. She likes casual games.
And the list goes on.

Though there are few things that we have in similar like taste in music and we like to eat new things. 

I had a chance to get a different girl who was more similar to me than my current girlfriend but I didn't push through it. I was interested at first but whenever we try, we just didn't click. I also kind of found her boring when I think about it tbh, lol. I guess the differences me and my girlfriend have made our relationship interesting and strong, and the few similarities are necessary so we can have something to bond over. 

Maybe opposites do attract.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@XLAV
I'm an atheist, She's a catholic.

Hardly opposites.

I'm a slacker. She's studious.

And yet she hates business?

Hmmm. This girl may be changing herself because she's so into you.

XLAV
XLAV
-->
@ethang5
Hardly opposites.

How is believing in a god and not believing in a god not opposite? 

And yet she hates business?

Hmmm. This girl may be changing herself because she's so into you.
Studious =/= business prowess

If anything did change, she started playing games because of me. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@XLAV
You must be awesome! ; )
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Depends on what the opposites are. I wouldn't date a racist, I also wouldn't date an atheist.  If they love tomatoes I could over look it. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@XLAV
2 years is not a long time and only time will tell if the relationship lasts.  When looking for a partner many people compromise or lower their expectations to increase the likely hood of meeting someone.  We talk ourselves in to accepting things which later on we realize we shouldn't have and that can end the relationship.  After a time one or both in the relationship will accuse the other of changing.  This is incorrect, they changed before they them met.  You are on your best behavior to impress and court the potential mate. Once they attain a certain comfort level they start acting like themselves, including those things that really bother them.  Prior, they ignored or suppressed their feelings about smoking let's say.  At some point this can cause enough strife to end the relationship.
sadolite
sadolite
I married someone with polar opposite beliefs. We are still married but have huge arguments every so often. I would not recommend it if I had to do it all over again. For better or for worse till death do us part. I keep my word.
XLAV
XLAV
-->
@sadolite
I'm curious to know which beliefs you guys differ from? 
XLAV
XLAV
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
We're already in our comfortable stage in our relationship and everything is doing alright so far. Whats funny is our 'honeymoon period' (start of the relationship) was very rocky and we fought/argued every few weeks. Despite the setbacks, we still held on. As time went on we got to understand one another better and we haven't had a fight/argument for a long time. 

It was weird. People always told me the start was supposed to be the best part of a relationship, lol. 
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@XLAV
If I say it black she will say it's white. My wife is pre programmed to contradict everything I say. Doesn't matter what we talk about.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@XLAV
that's awesome.  Relationship and marriage is about commitment more so than love.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@XLAV
that's awesome.  Relationship and marriage is about commitment more so than love.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Relationship and marriage is about commitment more so than love.

What? 
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@Lunatic
I'm usually a pretty neutral person, so that would mean my opposite would be someone who always has to bring their beliefs into things. I've met a lot of people like it.

If that's the case, then probably not. I'm fairly neutral in most circumstances b/c I don't like when people try to either be all political or SJWish or religious over an issue that really doesn't need such talk. Sure, sometimes it's deserving and appropriate but if you're gonna switch to your argument mode over everything then please stop.

Last night I was talking to someone and asked if they'd go see some of the campus basketball games, and they said "only women's". I asked why, and an answer I expected was "cause I'm a girl so I gotta support my girls!" or something cringey or normal. I instead got a really long answer about how supporting men's basketball was creating a culture of men being athletically superior to women. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
examine the history of marriage (a contract) and the divorce rate and purpose of arranged marriages, none of which are for love.  Generally marriage is about being committed to the marriage and not divorcing.  While some may get married out of love (even though there's little reason to) those who are committed to maintaining the marriage can still do so absent of love feelings.
back in the ole days divorce was rare, especially compared to now, why?  because you just didn't get divorced, it was taboo, had nothing to do with love. 

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Divorce was rare because it killed you monetarily and socially. In the US people don't do arraigned marriages anymore. Women are no longer property. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
sure that's all true, but that is the history and reason for marriage by in large.  just because modern society has changed it doesn't remove the original intent or meaning.  Many vows are a formal solemn commitment  There was also a time a man's word was his bond, promises were kept, people had honor and spoke the truth......Marriage is largely trivialized and bastardized to what it once was in meaning and purpose.  I believe the divorce rate reflects that.
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@XLAV
"It was weird. People always told me the start was supposed to be the best part of a relationship, lol." 

Because it usually is 😂. The "honeymoon phase", as its called is to describe how people often overlook many key things in the emotional rush of new romance. I would say because you two were so different that honeymoon was skipped and you were forced right into negotiation of differences and how those differences can be kept under control so as to not lead to an unclosable rift 🤔

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Women are no longer property.

Honestly, ur being rather obtuse when it comes to arranged marriage. With an enlightened morality you look at it and go, "that's treating someone like property" when for most cases it wasnt. It was the best way to ensure a daughter had security and stability of well-being in adulthood. The world used to be a wholly brutal place, and it's was largely not safe for women to be alone, full stop. 

Not to mention, lifespans were so short that if you didn't marry and have kids young, you would be dead long before they could care for themselves in all likelihood. 

Your perspective to be frank, is wrapped up in your own priviledged position of being a woman in an enlightened nation in modern times. You would have us operate in the past, as we do now, when that type of practice would have been absolutely disastrous for women as a whole. 

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Basically, with the average person dying by 30, that means you need to have kids at 13-15 if ur gonna raise them to where they can have kids to pass on the torch. 

A 13-15 cant be expected to make responsible and practical decisions in romance, ergo, arranged marriages. Cause if chances are ur dead by 30, that means by the time ur even 18, you already have less time than it takes to raise a kid. Which is the primary reason why, back in the olden days, if you hit 20-25 without kids or marriage, you were seen as a spinster doomed to die alone. Because average lifespan dictated that at that age, you were now too old for it to be seen as probable you lived to at least when that kid was out on their own 🤔

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
But, to answer the question, yeah, I don't see why not? 🤔
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Buddamoose
Challenge me to this debate about why not
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@RationalMadman
Lol i know there are plenty of reasons why not, personally speaking they don't really matter to me 🤔

66 days later

Jhhillman
Jhhillman
Depends. If we disagree about the minimium wage and universal healthcare, then yes. if they think gay people should be locked up, then no.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
I want somebody who treats me well, why would I give a fuck if they voted for Ralph Nadar? They can talk to their friends about politics, or religion. It doesn't need to be an element of our relationship.
warren42
Debates: 2
warren42
I think there has to be some level of common ground. I was actually talking to some of my friends about this and I think I'd be able to date someone who isn't drastically opposed. Essentially tankies and the authoritarian right anything more authoritarian/right than pre-Trump Republicanism.