Does absolute truth exist?

Author: Grugore

Total: 47
Grugore
Debates: 1
Grugore
Simple question. Right? So why do people argue about it? I think I know the answer. Meanwhile, can anyone answer the question? Actually, I'm looking for an example of something that is not based on absolute truth. I bet no one can give me an example.
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
Absolute truth, Ultimate truth, big-T 'Truth' and little-t 'truth'... I feel like Pilate!

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
The laws of logic can't be otherwise, so yes, it does.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Grugore
Simple question. Right? So why do people argue about it?
Ego.

There can only exist fiver regular/symmetrical and convex polyhedra of Universe = absolute aka inviolate cosmic law/principle etc.

Little i vs big I

"U " niverse >   Universe > universe > I -verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

...SPACE(>*<)  i  (>*<)SPACE...= fundamental bilateralism?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
@Grugore

What does this have to do with our ability to discern what that absolute truth is? Truth that cannot be observed and confirmed is from a practical standpoint no different from untruth that cannot be proven false.
Grugore
Grugore
-->
@secularmerlin
My point is that truth is not subjective. Something is either true or it is false. Truth is not subject to interpretation.

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Absolutely not.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
@Grugore 

Ok that doesn't tell us what is true however. That still leaves us with this problem.

Truth that cannot be observed and confirmed is from a practical standpoint no different from untruth that cannot be proven false.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Grugore
My point is that truth is not subjective. Something is either true or it is false. Truth is not subject to interpretation.
That can be challenged by things like 'Lauren Bacall was prettier than Ingrid Bergman'.  I'd say that's true but obviously not everyone would agree.
So why isn't that a counter-example?

Grugore
Grugore
-->
@keithprosser
What you refer to is personal opinion. It has no relationship to the truth. Some guys like big tits. Some like them smaller. Neither one is better or worse. They are simply different. But the absolute truth is that people have different tastes.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Grugore
Precisely!  but you're the one making the claim "Something is either true or it is false."

if the 'something' is "Lauren is prettier than Ingrid" then your claim does not hold.

You need to refine your claim that 'something is either true or false' because in some cases - such as the one in my example - it isn't so.  

Grugore
Grugore
-->
@keithprosser
Once again, personal opinion is not in any way synonymous with the truth. But there is the absolute truth that people have different opinions. Their opinions do not affect the truth.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Grugore
So it isn't the case that something is either true or false is it?  

Is 'lauren is prettier than ingrid' true or false? 

It's your claim things are one or the other, not mine.   I'm asking you to back up your claim that things are either true or false by telling us if 'Lauren is prettier than ingrid' is true or false.

Grugore
Grugore
-->
@keithprosser
Are you one Jerry's kids or something? Personal opinion is just that. Personal. It has no affect beyond the limits of your empty skull. We are dealing with reality here. Not personal likes or dislikes. When I say absolute truth, I'm referring to things that are concrete. Like someone is male or female. And don't even mention transgenders. I'll just laugh in your face.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Grugore
You wrote in #6

In #1
Actually, I'm looking for an example of something that is not based on absolute truth.
Well, I've given you an example of something that is not based on absolute truth and now you're complaining!

What you seem to be claiming now is that things are either true or false except when they aren't. 

Grugore
Grugore
-->
@keithprosser
When I asked for something that was not absolute truth, I assumed that you had the intelligence to realize that I meant something that could factually be said to be true or false. Opinions don't count for the simple fact that they are opinions. They do not affect the truth. 
ethang5
ethang5
if the 'something' is "Lauren is prettier than Ingrid" then your claim does not hold.
Untrue. "Lauren is prettier than Ingrid" is a statement referring to what someone thinks, not Lauren or Ingrid. So depending on who is being referred to, the statement is certainly either true or false, therefore, the claim stands.

Your rebut was wholly semantics and did not disturb the logic of the OP's claim.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ethang5
"depending on who is being referred to"  does not appear in the OP.   But 'absolute' does.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
It doesn't have to. "Pretty" is not a thing, but an opinion held by people. This is inherant in the definition of pretty. You are being an obtuse nit picker.

Your rebuttal fails.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ethang5
Obtuse nitpicking is a good definition of philosophy!

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
Obtuse nitpicking is a good definition of philosophy!
You are a gifted philosopher then. ; )
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Grugore
Actually, I'm looking for an example of something that is not based on absolute truth. I bet no one can give me an example.
So, is "Lauren is prettier than ingrid" based on an absolute truth?  Or is it intrinsically relative?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
Nice save! But we know what you intended. Its relatively true, but his original claim remains true.

Grugore
Grugore
-->
@keithprosser
Try this. If your favorite ice cream is vanilla, that is an absolute truth. If I said your favorite was chocolate,that would be false. It is also true that not everyone likes vanilla. Perhaps you are confusing absolute truth with universal truth. There is a difference. Your argument  seems to be that since people have different opinions absolute truth does not exist. So here's a question for you to think about. Is it true that not everyone likes vanilla ice cream? 

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Grugore
Try this. If your favorite ice cream is vanilla,
Absolute truths are eternal and Keith is not eternal.  Kieths favorites have changed and if eternally would change many times.

Absolute Truth :

There can only exist fiver regular/symmetrical and convex polyhedra of Universe = absolute aka inviolate cosmic law/principle etc.

Little * i * vs big  * I *

"U " niverse >   Universe > universe > I -verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

...SPACE(>*<)  i  (>*<)SPACE...= fundamental bilateralism of postive and negative left and right diametric 190 degreeness

keithprosser
keithprosser
You said "Actually, I'm looking for an example of something that is not based on absolute truth. I bet no one can give me an example."

Now you say
"Perhaps you are confusing absolute truth with universal truth. There is a difference."

So there are 'absolute truths' and 'universal truths'.  Well - there you are then!   What you're looking for is an example of a universal truth.   There is a difference.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@keithprosser

So there are 'absolute truths' and 'universal truths'.  Well - there you are then!   What you're looking for is an example of a universal truth.   There is a difference.
No, there is no differrence between universal truth and absolute truth/law/principle.

Absolute Truth/Law/principle { eternal and universal }:

There can only exist five regular/symmetrical and convex polyhedra of Universe.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@mustardness
When I said "There is a difference" I was quoting G.   I am not actually sure what the terms 'absolute truth' and 'universal truth' refer to.  

Grugore
Grugore
-->
@keithprosser
Well, someone was claiming that because some men prefer blondes, there is no absolute truth. That's why I mentioned universal truth. Perhaps I should have used a different word, but I have no idea what it would be.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Grugore
Well, someone was claiming that because some men prefer blondes, there is no absolute truth.
I don't know who that was.  The factoid that "blondes are prettier" is not an absolute truth does not mean there are no absolute truths.   The OP asked for an example of a non-absolute truth, not a proof nothing is absolutely true.