Does absolute truth exist?

Author: Grugore

Total: 47
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Every truth is a relative truth.

Only The Ultimate Reality is Absolute Truth.

Without this, there are not even relative truths.

keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@ethang5
Nice save! But we know what you intended. Its relatively true, but his original claim remains true.
What is his original claim?

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
It was...

My point is that truth is not subjective. Something is either true or it is false. Truth is not subject to interpretation.
Truth applying to a particular person does not make it subjective.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ethang5
My point is that truth is not subjective. Something is either true or it is false. Truth is not subject to interpretation.
 But what if the 'something'  is 'lauren is prettier than ingrid'?   According to G it is either true or false and not subject to interpretation.

Here is another one - is it true or false:  'Infinity is even'.

is this true or false:  "it will rain tomorrow".

Did I already say philosophy was obtuse nitpicking?   (that is true, btw)

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
But what if the 'something'  is 'lauren is prettier than ingrid'?   According to G it is either true or false and not subject to interpretation.

It IS either true or false. Because it can apply to Ethan or Keith is not "interpretation" or subjectivity.

Here is another one - is it true or false:  'Infinity is even'.
Because we don't know something doesn't change whether it is true or false. And "infinity is even" is nonsensical.

is this true or false:  "it will rain tomorrow".
Again, just because we don't know doesn't affect reality. If tomorrow has not come, then the statement is speaking to something nonexistent. That is irrational. All your examples are semantic tricks.

Did I already say philosophy was obtuse nitpicking?   (that is true, btw)
You won't be able to reclassify your semantics as benign nit picking. You have to make sense. His claim stands.
keithprosser
keithprosser
But what if the 'something'  is 'lauren is prettier than ingrid'?   According to G it is either true or false and not subject to interpretation.

It IS either true or false...

Ok, so which one is it?  True or false?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
Because we don't know something doesn't change whether it is true or false.

Grugore
Grugore
-->
@keithprosser
" But what if the 'something'  is 'lauren is prettier than ingrid'?   According to G it is either true or false and not subject to interpretation."
What is true is that SOMEONE thinks Lauren is prettier than Ingrid. It doesn't mean that she is. It's just someone's opinion. Once again, opinion has no affect on the truth. When I asked for an example of something that is not true I was referring to things that can be proven true or false.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Grugore
You want something not true that can be proven to be be true or false?

Grugore
Grugore
-->
@keithprosser
No. I wish you had a functioning brain.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Grugore
You are conflating quanta and qualia.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Grugore
you wrote:

1 - "When I asked for an example of something that is not true I was referring to things that can be proven true or false."

That is the same as

2 - "You want something not true that can be proven to be be true or false?"

Suppose Z is not true but can be proven true or false.

Z is an example of what you asked for by 1) or 2).

Mopac
Mopac
It is the absolute truth that there is no absolute truth.

Does that make any sense?

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Nobody seems willing to say what the difference between 'truth' and 'absolute truth' is.  I know 2+2=4 is true, but I don't know if it is 'absolutely true' or whatever other sort of truth there is supposed to be (ie what is 'unabsolute truth'?).  I think the OP is saying all truths are 'absolute truths', in which case why bother to say 'absolute'!  My issue with G is that he seems to have posted first and thought about it after.

There are things that are true, things that are false and things where it isn't that simple!  
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
I wouldn't say that all truths are the absolute truth.

There are certain theologians who refer to God as The Absolute Truth. Saint Augustine probably being the most influential in the west.

The Absolute Truth is The Ultimate Reality. It is Truth in the truest and purest sense of the word. The Truth itself, and what that really is. It is always true, not contingent.

2+2=4 is a truth, but it isn't the absolute truth because it involves operationalism. It doesn't exist on its own. It doesn't account for everything.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
That seems to imply that 'ordinary' truth can sometimes be false.  A statement can switch between true and false ('Today is Thursday', for example) but 'true' is aways true and 'false' is always false.   What does adding the word 'absolute' to 'truth' do, other than make it seem very grand and important!

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
The Absolute Truth is very specifically one particular truth. The most true.