You.
Yes , No?

Award credit?

EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
It's hard to deny that men seemed to play the dominant role in spirituality in past generations but I doubt there weren't any God experienced women. I'm sure there were plenty of spiritual ladies just like there are now, but yeah it was the role of men in those days so you could argue the voice of the female was repressed/suppressed back then which may or may not have been natural as men do usually play the dominant role in societies, politics, business ect ect….and the further back you go the more extreme it was. But it wasn't just in religion it was just about in every aspect of old cultures. But as I said, you can't deny there were Theistic girls then or now, they are free to express their creative spiritual expressions and experiences/thoughts ect ect. It's no secret really the writers of classic religious texts were mainly men but I'm not sure if that should only be attributed to religion right? that's just how most cultures were. 
In ways we are anchored to religious scriptures of old because TBH people rarely except new revelations and sometimes for good reason but I've read some spiritual material from women that was pretty outstanding. They usually aren't the typical fundamentalist pew warmer though, more the free spirited hippie type. Even if you have a point here it's kinda washed up by the fact this role played out in all others ways of life when men dominated the religious arena as well as the world. Would it make a difference to ya if the Bible or any old scriptural text was written by female authors? 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Also don't forget, behind every great man is a great woman lol. We must not forget that even then women was mans inspiration, what got his arse outa bed to conquer the world.....of course their mark is within scripture somewhere beneath!!
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@EtrnlVw
Nice post brother.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@EtrnlVw
Would it make a difference to ya if the Bible or any old scriptural text was written by female authors?
I'm not sure how much difference it would make to deb and myself but it may have made a rather large difference to millions of people indoctrinated into misogynistic abrahamic religions throughout history.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@secularmerlin
That's a good question that one hey? 
I'm thinking.
I dunno.
 Oh and I'm a 38 year old rugged bloke. 
I dunno. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@secularmerlin
I think of two peoples minds that must of been brilliant. 

The person who made carrot cakes mind. 
And the bloke who said yeah, he said hey um ,, what we should do is get god to speak scripture. 
Bammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

I mean wow hey. Their minds.

I also picture a bloke , its always a  bloke for some reason. 
A bloke inventing the umbrella for a certain reason and then realizing it get used for the total opposite. 

And That's why i don't eat sun dried tomatoes. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I remember this stupid topic from DDO. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Certainly not all religions are male dom8nated but you must admit that some of the most wide spread are suspiciously patriarchal. Cover your hair (or st least in church) don't teach a man serve your husband etc.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Inventing God's what?
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Inventing god's is really something you do in your own head 
Inventing religions.
It's much a muchness. 
janesix
janesix
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
You still didn't answer, inventing God's what? You didn't finish your sentence.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@janesix
Yeah I'm probably going to give invent god's what? a miss. 
My head feels funny.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
oh i forgot the  FULL STOP.
We can talk about that if we want.

janesix
janesix
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Apostrophes, and where to place them correctly.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Yet...

The Ultimate Reality

Is not an invention.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
Correct.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
As someone who shares deb's struggle with dyslexia if I could translate. Inventing god(s) not inventing god's. As ypur friend I appreciate your patience with deb as it I sympathize with the difficulty inherent for a dyslexic person to make themselves understood.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Modern scholarship implies that prior to YHWHism becoming strictly monotheistic the Hebrew god had a female consort, Ashreah.  Asherah was worshipped in the form of tree, or pole.

The 'pure YHWHists' fobade the worship of Aserah:

Jer 10:2 "Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."

Those verses are sometimes used to argue against christmas trees!

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@secularmerlin
I'm not sure how much difference it would make to deb and myself but it may have made a rather large difference to millions of people indoctrinated into misogynistic abrahamic religions throughout history.

That could be considered a rather one-sided opinion considering the majority of the Christian population are women who are free to believe as they wish. I admitted it was likely that the female role was suppressed and I explain everything in my post. It's not specific to Abrahamic religions it was how life was in general. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
What have women created in general? ;p Que... Feminazi's 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@EtrnlVw
But these free Christian women you speak of were not invented back then.

The bible writers were a certain type of people. That im sure of. 
No that sound silly. 

But above everything it seems strange that the bible was some how writen with what life in general was like back then in mind.
That shouldn't play any part really should it.

It seems like the bible was written without so called knowledge of todays events. 
It's like the bible was written without any knowledge whatsoever of June the 18th 3759. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Outplayz
You and i.

Well it's what I'm leed to believe. Although i highly doubt my mom and dad did what they say makes a baby. 
But yeah. I know the baby comes out of the mummies. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
But these free Christian women you speak of were not invented back then.

I explained my position quite clearly. I don't know what you mean by "invented" though, you mean they were suppressed? I agreed with that but I explained why and why it was common for the male role to dominate culture. That included scriptural texts, but this is why I added my second post. Behind all these men was a beautiful women rubbing their backs while they were meticulously jotting down spiritual writings lol. Yes the female role was certainly not the dominant gender throughout history, but do they need to be? 

The bible writers were a certain type of people. That im sure of. 
No that sound silly. 

Perhaps spiritual type people? TBH religions and spiritual texts are based on individual and collective observation/experiences. This is then collectively agreed upon and recorded for our convenience. But make no mistake about it, every ancient text will reflect its own culture to a degree we cannot escape that. And it was common for men to have control over every genre on life back then. 

But above everything it seems strange that the bible was some how writen with what life in general was like back then in mind.
That shouldn't play any part really should it.

Well there are many things within scriptures brother. You have culture, tradition, opinions, varying experiences ect ect but you also have universal spiritual principles which create the spiritual backdrop or foundation for the soul to connect with. All in all religions are a source that individuals can relate to and learn from. But each soul was meant to learn and experience for itself, sources are just foundations for learning. 

It seems like the bible was written without so called knowledge of todays events. 
It's like the bible was written without any knowledge whatsoever of June the 18th 3759. 

But spiritual truths are universal and they are objective. That means no matter what age they were recorded they are always relevant in the now. I'm not making the claim everything within all religious texts are legit no, that is not my position. My spirituality and experience is not dependent on the perfection of the Bible or any religious source for that matter. Rather I learn from and apply what is useful, discard what is not. Spirituality is no different than learning any other thing...trial and error. 
disgusted
disgusted
@ET
I agreed with that but I explained why and why it was common for the male role to dominate culture
And all of your gods combined couldn't humanise these barbaric cultures, why do you call them gods?

61 days later

eventuality001
eventuality001

There were a number of female prophets in the Old and New Testament.

But it was not a worldly, spontaneous and natural ability for women to travel abroad, traversing and trekking – wandering alone through the deserts, wildernesses and throughout the dangerous mobs of men, to give the prophecy of God to very many people outside of their own close circle of friends and family. There were many sexist and prejudice people with preconceived judgments and opinions and there was a whole world that was filled with abusers who raped and manipulated and even kidnapped and sexually sold women in sex trades - the moment that a woman stepped outside of their circle of protection.

Female prophets in the Bible - were always used and valued in the role of working for God by staying in the in a safe environment - and God used the MALE prophets to go around the entire countryside, across deserts, through wildernesses and on long life adventures that include all the details in entire multiple book of the Bible - and to serve with Kings and leaders in a time of war and in dangerous situations where the males usually were situated and needed - and women did not serve in these capacities.

Also, we have the situation with the Trinitarian Translators who have changed much of the Bible. 

In 1Co 14:28 - it says, concerning speaking in tounges in the church - If there be no interpreter, - “ keep silence “ in the church; and speak to themselves and to God.  :29 Let the prophets speak two or three and let the other judge. - :30 If anything is revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first - - “ hold their peace. “

But the original does not say “ let the first - hold his peace - “ - verse :30 literally says - let the first - “ BE SILENT. “ / No Talking. This Greek word is “ SILENCE “ ... And verse :35 is totally mistranslated - it says - And if ( the women who are directly involved ) “ “ WILL OR WOULD “ “ A CERTAIN THING.. - let them ask their husbands IN the home - for it is a shame for women to say in the church. But this is only speaking of the situation directly involving church order that ALSO involves the MALES who are also commanded to be “ SILENT “

We see that the Translators had a wide spectrum of English words to use - and to alter the message with. - And they changed the part where it commands males to be silent and changed it to say that the males are only supposed to be HOLDING THEIR PEACE. But it says for all to keep silence in the church.

The one speaking in tongues, - is to “ KEEP SILENT “ when they are finished, while the prophecy of the interpreter is being spoken - this is Greek word that is used - Silence. Mouth shut or, do not be continuing to talk or make any further audible noise - whatsoever. – This word has nothing to do with “ Holding Your peace “ in the manuscripts in any way - ever.

There is nothing about the verse about anyone “ holding their peace_” this is another total mistruth - and this was inserted into the Translation in order to mold, codify and invent a deceptive theology by adding it along - with all of the other mistranslated words – to build the Trinitarian Organized Religiosity of a total perversion and alteration whereby they insert what the Trinitarian feels INSPIRED by His perverted sexist senses and what He feels ( pretends ) it should say – while pretending that the manuscripts are saying that the Male, afterward - is supposed to simply, just “ hold His peace “ While at the same time they all of a sudden - they go over and suddenly change the very exact same Greek word for “ Quiet or / HOLDING ONES PEACE “ - and they applied this same exact word - assilence - to the Female sex / woman, and they take this word “ Quietly / Quiet “ and again they suddenly veer sharply to the left and suddenly again change or add the word “ Quietly or Quiet - to be changed to the word “ silence “ - but, for the female sex.

In other words the same exact - actual literal Greek word for “ KEEPING SILENT “ does not really truly apply when it comes to the male sex – but it only applies strictly and only - when the Trinitarian comes to the female sex.

As we see - here in - 1Ti 2:11 Let the woman learn in “ Quietness “ with all subjection. As the verse says - women - who are ONLY in the setting, as described - of women simply being described as ( going through the learning process ) – and are to do it quietly and peacefully.  And Trinitarians, they invent a whole theology simply by changing / switching and re arranging words in deliberate dishonesty - and by inserting a theology that mandates “ ALL WOMAN “ are to remain forever in silence - when the context of 1Ti 2:11 - was specifically detailing the details of women who are learning - Let the woman learn in Quietness with all subjection. And, we easily notice - just - in just ten verses above here in 1Ti 2:2 - where it says “ that we may lead a solitary and - “ PEACEFUL “ life, in all godliness and honesty. -

They go ahead and use the word CORRECTELY translated as - - “ PEACEFUL / QUIET “ but they only use it situational, ONLY when it is not applied to the female sex. Again veering sharply to the right and suddenly radically changing this word “ PEACEFUL / QUIET “ which is the SAME exact word applied to women / females who are to commanded to be leaning in “ Quietness / PEACEFULNESS “ - with all subjection.

And they change it to say that women “ ALL WOMAN “ in all churches at all times are to be silent. No exceptions – no if’s – no and’s - and no but’s... They are switching out words and and re aranging the basic construct of the message - in order to INVENT a PRE CONCEIVED Church Doctrine that is found nowhere in the manuscripts.

In reality, in fact the entire and whole Trinitarian Translations is filled with nothing but countless switched out and transposed words - that never existed in the Original Manuscripts. This is everywhere in the translation.

eventuality001
eventuality001
Also, we see that the Trinitarian Translators have changed the word “ REVERENCE “ here in - 1Ti 2:9   it says that women are to adorn themselves in modest apparel, with “ REVERENCE “ - and Trinitarians  -  they CHANGE this word to say   “ shame facedness “ ---  

But they go ahead and translate the words to say - exactly and precisely what it means - here in - Heb 12:28 Saying ----   We serve God ... with - “ REVERENCE “ and godly fear: -   --  

But to the female sex - it is a “ shame facedness “ - And this is the same exact word “ REVERENCE “ - in both 1Ti 2:9 and in Heb 12:28 = αιδους G127 = αιδους G127 -   in both verses.  ! - -  But when they come to the female sex, it all is a twisted  and altered change.  — because the Translation is so radically changed from the original manuscripts.

Instead of translating the word correctly as it means  "  reverence "    -  when it comes to the female sex - Trinitarian Translators change it to say  -  - “ shame facedness “

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@eventuality001
Earlier in Timothy it talks about women prophesying, so when it says to keep silent it specifically is refering to chatting during liturgy.

And that is what Orthodoxy teaches, and we are very Trinitarian.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@eventuality001
Nice info. 

It's clear women played no part in writing / translating holy text.  Is a more ummmm,  correct  thing to assume.  
But nice post. 

Mopac
Mopac
As The Orthodox Church is the state church of Greece...

...well...

Some people will never get over the fact that women can't be priests, but the priest serves as a living icon of Christ during liturgy, and we cannot have a woman do that anymore than we could paint a picture of Mary as a male.

The greatest of the saints has the honor of being a female. Mary, the Theotokos.

But yeah, no church is more overtly trinitarian than the Orthodox Church.