Donation rewards

Author: DebateArt.com

Total: 21
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
So as you've probably noticed, we use Patreon for the donations system and it provides API access to its platform, which would allow us to implement an automatic reward system (not super simple but possible). So the question is, how should we rewards the pledgers? Obviously it should be something that doesn't make the pledgers in any way above the others. I'd suggest it to be something aesthetic. Any ideas?
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Cosmetic is usually the way to go, a badge or title on the profile, something that displays on the forum avatar as well (like the mod "crown").

If you're willing to go beyond the aesthetic, perhaps a "private" forum that people of any donation level can access. I know that's delving into "OMG the paid DDO Elite is real" territory, but if someone is willing to donate to the operation of the site, they now have a vested interest in the site and it might be nice to have a place for those people to talk about those kinds of things.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Let them be able to upload gifs or videos in their posts
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
Yeah, I agree
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@ethang5
That's exactly one of those things that make some users supreme, that's not an option. 

ethang5
ethang5
???
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
@ethang5
I am with ethang here, you need things only the paid can do to truly motivate it while minimalistically sacrificing a tiny bit of the storage they pay to fund, in exchange. GIF profile pics and stuff like allowing them to including images and embedded vids (which also can be justified as you doubting the loyalty of those who don't pay and fearing they'll post inappropriate images and videos) is entirely the way to go.

On DI there is an unspoken about bonus with how it allows you to gain points for posts at a higher rate than free users but absolutely the logo and aesthetics is a bare minimum. Allowing more profile customisation and perhaps separating bonuses for what people pay for is a fantastic business-model. Fuck the communists who will cry about it, they are the ones who would never fund you anyway.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@ethang5
@RationalMadman
I really don't like the idea of giving this kind of privilege, I've played too many games that got ruined by this haha

It should be something cosmetic and if we're to talk about some extra functionality, it must be something that wouldn't give an advantage over the other users. It could be a special forum section, like what drafterman mentioned.

Or maybe a free gifts that the donated user could give away to the other users, like what we have in VK -> https://imgur.com/a/SNjEzAP It's in Russian but it says "Presents", anyway, you get my point. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Border around profile pic will be huge help too (you pick the colour but the border is donor-specific and you are free to remove the logo and border if you want)

Actually this is a huge thing I noticed many sites forget; not everyone wants the logo or credit for donating. This is actually increased to 'not want' if the logo and credit exists (it gives people an ego rush of how humble they are by not having it).
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
Yeah, the border may work too.

Well, I think the credit will be optional anyway, because in order to get it, the user would probably have to bind his Patreon page to the account here, so that I could use the API to automate the process. So if the user doesn't want the credit, he or she may just not bind the account :)
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
A badge by their name will do fine...
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
Have you got expertise in business models and gambling with stocks and shares in corporations? What expertise are you speaking with? This site will go bankrupt in no time with only that as incentive to donate $3.
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
In general I like the idea of badges to be earned...

For a major incentive, I would suggest beta access to upcoming features. IMO this would be to the benefit of everyone.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I can't believe people donate  to this
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Barney
In general I like the idea of badges to be earned...

For a major incentive, I would suggest beta access to upcoming features. IMO this would be to the benefit of everyone.
Yeah, badges or some cosmetic effects is the way to go, I think.

Well, I am afraid we don't have this beta stage at the moment, once the feature is implemented and I've done some testing on the local machine, it goes live.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I can't believe people donate  to this
I can't believe nobody put a shiv in your kidney yet, considering your lovely personality.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@DebateArt.com
Not surprised you use prison slang. 
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Mike, never reply to a user in that manner again.

Remember as the head of the site, you must always take the high road.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Mharman
Yeah, the mods have already talked to me, lesson learned :)
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@DebateArt.com
Of course they haven't. Lying is ugly.
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Yes I have.