Posters on Marijuana

Author: ethang5

Total: 78
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
7 Ways Marijuana May Affect the Brain

Marijuana has a reputation as a relatively harmless drug, but researchers are learning more and more about the effects it may have on the brain.

An increased risk of psychosis, changes in the brain's reward system and the scrambled neuron signals that may underlie "the munchies" are just some of the many potential effects of marijuana use on the brain.

"The biggest risk related to the use of marijuana is the increased risk of psychosis," said Dr. Scott Krakower, assistant unit chief of psychiatry at Zucker Hillside Hospital in Glen Oaks, New York.

Another significant risk, for those who use marijuana during their teenage years, is an increased likelihood of an IQ drop. "It is safe enough to say that people who smoke marijuana," especially when they are young, are more likely have a reduction in their IQ later in life, Krakower told Live Science.

Here's a look at the recent research on marijuana's possible effects on the brain

Marijuana and psychosis
Multiple studies have linked marijuana use with a higher risk of psychosis, which is a medical term that applies to symptoms that involve losing touch with the real world, such as hallucinations or paranoia. For example, in an analysis published in 2016 in the journal Schizophrenia Bulletin, researchers looked at previous studies of about 67,000 people.

They found that people in the study who used the most marijuana were more likely to be diagnosed with a psychotic mental-health condition, such as schizophrenia, than people who had never used marijuana.

A review published in April 2016 in the journal Biological Psychiatry also found a link between cannabis use and an increased risk of psychosis. "Overall, evidence from epidemiologic studies provides strong enough evidence to warrant a public health message that cannabis use can increase the risk of psychotic disorders," the authors wrote in the review.

Pot and IQ
Teens who smoke pot may be more likely to experience an IQ drop when they are older, research has suggested. In a study of more than 1,000 people in New Zealand, researchers administered IQ tests to the participants twice: when they were 13, and then again when they were 38. The researchers also asked the participants about their drug use throughout the study period.

About 5 percent of the teens in the study had started using pot when they were teens. And it turned out that those who smoked pot at least four times a week and continued to use pot throughout their lives experienced an IQ drop of 8 points by the end of the study, on average.

It's not clear why pot may have negative effects on people's IQ, but it could be that teens are more vulnerable to pot's effects on brain chemistry, Susan Tapert, a neuropsychologist at the University of California, San Diego, who was not involved in the study, told Live Science in a 2012 interview.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the above may explain some of our more challenged posters. What seems like poor reading comprehension, or unending vitriol, might just be low IQ and psychosis from too much pot smoking.

Why do people smoke pot?
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
I think some posters don't even have that excuse!
ethang5
ethang5
I've been tempted to ask them sometimes when their disjointed thinking is particularly silly. But they would most likely lie.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@keithprosser
I think some posters don't even have that excuse!
We have several of these sick-in-the-head individuals around DDO and DArt.
And you finger icon ^ points toward Ethang5. I love it.

Ethang5 comments post #1
................^  D:--)....

We need look no further than Ethangs topics  "siding with death"and many others to see where we have humans with significant mental issues trying violate other humans moral perrogatives to choose what they do with their bodies.

This dude is scary at best and I shutter to think of what the worst is that goes on inside his head.

We have several of these sick-in-the-head individuals around DDO and DArt.

^ D:--) Siddhartha Claus is coming to town.

He knows your trapped in duality

He knows you not awake

He hopes you find an enlightened state

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I wager all the  atheists post high.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
On the other hand, Caffeine, Taurine and energy drinks in general are bastardised by the media. Fucking joke. 

Obviously children die if they overdose on too much Monster drink or Red Bull. Oh my god, of course they will have increased aggression, hyperactivity and all that. That's because they need a few sips but since you ban them having the energy drink in class they gulp it all at once IDIOT SCHOOL SYSTEM FUCK OFF.

Caffeine is proven, undeniably, truly, actually, when combined with Ginseng, Taurine, Glucose and Inositol to gradually increase IQ and creativity over time. The only price you pay is to have to invest in good toothpaste and brush well. Get the fuck over it, this is the future.

Respect to Monster, the Pagan enhancement drink.
Paul
Paul
-->
@ethang5
I don't think anybody thinks smoking marijuana is good for you.

TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@Paul
I don't think anybody thinks smoking marijuana is good for you.
It can be if it alleviates pain, depression, nausea, insomnia etc. or even if it just makes you feel good for a while.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
as a side note, just got back from a conference, in 2009 about 54% of high school students thought that marijuana was harmful, 2017 32% though I don't recall about first time usage vs a user, just because someone doesn't think something is harmful means they are going to use it.  I'll see if I can find the stats when i get home, though searching probably has some surveys on the subject.
Paul
Paul
-->
@TwoMan
Po hopper, those are medical uses and even if it brings relief to the suffering it still has detrimental effects on the user.

Opiates bring relief, but we are all aware of the detrimental effects that come with using them.

Once again Po you disappoint me.

TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@Paul
Po hopper, those are medical uses and even if it brings relief to the suffering it still has detrimental effects on the user.

Opiates bring relief, but we are all aware of the detrimental effects that come with using them.
What you are referring to is "abuse", not "use". If those substances are abused, yes there are negative effects. When used properly, there are proven and undeniable positive effects. By your logic, food is not good for you because of the potential for obesity from eating too much.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@TwoMan
But the OP lists 2 big negative effects of pot. How do you abuse pot BTW? How much is just use, and how much abuse?

But I would guess taking smoke from burning plant material is abuse of your body.
TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@ethang5
But the OP lists 2 big negative effects of pot. How do you abuse pot BTW? How much is just use, and how much abuse?

But I would guess taking smoke from burning plant material is abuse of your body.
Abuse is however much is needed to negatively affect your life. That is different for each individual. It isn't one size fits all. There are other ways to ingest or inhale marijuana that don't involve burning the plant. Eating and vaporizing come to mind. A derivative such as CBD is used for many health benefits.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@TwoMan
Oh, you mean only those using it for health reasons? That would be a tiny minority.

I just saw a study saying that the same amount of pot vaped makes you 3 times as high than smoking it. I'll post if I can find it again.

TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@ethang5
I don't necessarily mean only for health reasons. One can casually enjoy pot the same way one can casually enjoy alcohol. I've read the same thing regarding vaporizing. That just means you can use less and feel the same high being both economical and healthier. Win-win.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@TwoMan
Lol. Healther.

The problem with drugs that impair your decision making ability, is that they require better and better decision making, as they progressively make your decision making worse and worse.

We all know that addicts (yes, pot addicts) use more and more, not less. And the more they use, the less they are able to make sound decisions about use.

Its a vicious cycle man. 
TwoMan
TwoMan
Not disagreeing. You can say the same thing about alcohol. Just use responsibly brother.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@TwoMan
It can be if it alleviates pain, depression, nausea, insomnia etc. or even if it just makes you feel good for a while.
Glaucoma was first federally approved use of a synthetic-like THC back in 70's.

It is stupidity of humans to not be growing hemp and its mariwanna derivatives on global scales, that is only matched by their stupidity to:

use rational, logical common sense ways of preventing pregnancy on a global scale,

1000s' of hydrogen bombs ready to be delivered via land air and sea,

nuclear power and all of its waste for future humanity,

OMG the list goes on and on.
TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@mustardness
Agreed.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@TwoMan
There are other ways to ingest or inhale marijuana that don't involve burning the plant. Eating and vaporizing come to mind. A derivative such as CBD is used for many health benefits.
Why are you talking rational, logical common sense?  You obviously do not live in USA. Or if you do, from the far outskirts side of the tracks, in the back 40, where nature has taken over your mind and leading on the pathways of a mind-expansion future humanity is fighting tooth an nail.

( O ):--) = open mind

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@TwoMan
Not disagreeing. You can say the same thing about alcohol. Just use responsibly brother.
Asking Trumpanzees to consider  "use responsibily" is like asking a narcissist to not think about them self, for one time only, extended period of time.

TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@mustardness
I try to fill the finite occupied space that is my brain with common sense.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@TwoMan
I try to fill the finite occupied space that is my brain with common sense.
Bru7 says "common sense" is meaningless. Then last night I saw a an ex-federal prosecutor ---who use to work with Mueller--- us the phrase common sense in regards to the M. Flynn case as we all awaited the Muelller sentencing memorandum to the judge for M Flynn.

I forget the details of how he was using that phrase.

Ha, I just noticed that you used one of my common phrases "finite occupied space". Thank you for the respect. Rare around here at DArt.

Ha, your profile image I know but cant place. It reminds me of Kung Fu's{ david carradine/grasshopper } Master Khan but it is not.

Your photo is maybe from Johnny English Bond spoof{ Toshiba }, "Return of Johnny English"

....."Now, Fox plans to re-imagine the series with a new show set in the 1950s.
According to Deadline, the new Kung Fu will follow the adventures of Lucy Chang (it is unclear if she is related to Carradine's character, though the smart money would bet on that being the case)."....

..."Whatever the fate of the new series, David Carradine will not make an appearance this time around. He died in 2009, aged 72, in a hotel room in Bangkok, from auto-erotic asphyxiation."....

Paul
Paul
-->
@TwoMan
So your position is that smoking marijuana is good for you?
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Paul
He also mentioned eating it. Read his lips/text in one of the above posts

Eating it --and of course after being cooked--  is less harmful to the lungs than smoking it. 

Uncooked it may be more harmful to you thank not cooked.  Al shrooms and Ive heard plants have enzymes that inhibit digestion. Heating  breaks apart these enzymes.

TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@Paul
In certain circumstances it can be if used properly.
Paul
Paul
-->
@TwoMan
When you smoke something just like with cigarettes, combustion produces a bunch of different chemicals and inhaling it will damage your lungs, that's a fact.

Just because you think it's good for you does not change that fact.

TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@Paul
I agree that smoking anything has detrimental health effects. There are other ways to consume marijuana that don't involve combustion. Edible products and vaporizing are two of them. "Smoking" marijuana is intended as a vernacular of saying "consume".

TwoMan
TwoMan
-->
@mustardness
Ha, your profile image I know but cant place.
That is Master Po from the show "Kung Fu". You were very close.

Goldtop
Goldtop
I think the above may explain some of our more challenged posters. What seems like poor reading comprehension, or unending vitriol, might just be low IQ and psychosis from too much pot smoking.
Ethans threads can easily be refuted even when his intention is to spew his unending vitriol.

Ethan fails to understand there are:

- Intelligent people who smoke pot
- Intelligent people who don't smoke pot
- Stupid people who smoke pot
- Stupid people who don't smoke pot.

Even a very stoned intelligent person can still explain evolution to a stupid person who doesn't smoke pot. Of course, the stupid person will most likely reject any explanations and deny the science and evidence that supports it.