Police Killings Rise Sharply 2022

Author: ebuc

Total: 33
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
Always consider the source of our information.

...."Black people were 24% of those killed by police in 2022 despite being only 13% of the population. "...

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Black people commit 52% of violent crime so they are way underrepresented
Best.Korea
Debates: 251
Best.Korea
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Crime statistics are racist.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
How do you determine "Black" Doc?

On the skin tone scale, how far does the pointer have to slide for someone to classified as black.

Does the Black range, start at very light brown/swarthy for example.

At what point does the pointer flicker between the Black and White.

I would suggest that you actually base your discrimination on certain other factors of perceivable difference, and not just skin tone.

Discrimination by the way is not a criticism, discrimination is just a natural response to incoming sensory signals. We do it all the time.

Discrimination is a useful tool to have. It's how one tells the difference between a demented axe murderer and a jolly lumberjack.

Top of the morning Doc.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
well zed, black is black. I hope you know that
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Best.Korea
How do you determine "Black" Doc?
..."Research indicates that the concept of “five races” does, to an extent, describe the way human populations are distributed among the continents—but the lines between races are much more blurred than ancestry testing companies would have us believe (Figure 1B) "...

Killings by police have risen irregardless of race. Population has risen also so that is one factor of  many.

The facts can be relatively simple. The factors behind those factors can be complex to decipher, to some degree or another.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Coal is black Doc.

Unless it's brown coal.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
like charcoal? zed you like minecraft?
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
I think you would have to look at  death by percentage after contact. Police make more contact with black folks.

I would say the biggest indicator of how at risk you are for being shot by a police officer, has to do with how much you resist arrest. 

When you look at contact with police and adjust the stats for that here is the groups most likely to be killed by police.

1. Native American
2. Whites
3. Blacks
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
I would say the biggest indicator of how at risk you are for being shot by a police officer, has to do with how much you resist arrest

That always seemed apparrent to me. However, i'm white average, middle class male and not been repeatedly hassled by police for minor stuff repeatedly, as may happen in some communities more, because of race and police know there likely to find drugs --even if primarily grass--- etc.

I lived with friend in Chicago for a few months, and I made improper left turn --sign above said no left turns at this intersection---, so policeman looks at my license, --from out of state--- and says my license is invalid. WTF. The date is fine not expired and everything is fine. So they say you need to follow us to the station an they have my license with them, not me.

Thank god this is daytime and I'm white.  So I follow there we go in the give my license to the man behind large desk --like you see on the old cop show--- and he says the computer says you license is invalid. WTF!  The date and everything on my license is valid!

So they give me a court date, for the left turn or driving on invalid license ---I forget now--- and four monts later, I have to come back from my state to Chicago, courtroom, and they call me to Judges desk, and one man comes over to judge and says something into the judge's ear, and the judge says to me, charges dismissed, pay the clerk $10. court fee on your way out.

Thank god I am not the type who would blow furiously of off the handle at such fucking nonsense!  Chicago at that time was known as the city that works, mayor Daleys machine that works like a clock and no graffitee on their commuter trains.

I tell you what, thank god i'm white.  Ive had a a few other encounters with police and none as bad as that, but they all could have gone sour, if I were not white, didnt have kids in car with more my wife with me.  One Chicago cop told me, if it werent for the 5 kids I had in car with me, he would haul my butt to the police station for making a U-turn.

My advice to all is, do not live in Chicago or any big city.

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@ebuc
 i'm white average, middle class male and not been repeatedly hassled by police for minor stuff repeatedly, as may happen in some communities more, because of race

Why do you think the type of broken windows policing you are describing would specifically target minority communities because of race and not the more sensible reasoning being that members of those communities are more likely to be victimized and need more police presence?

they call me to Judges desk, and one man comes over to judge and says something into the judge's ear, and the judge says to me, charges dismissed, pay the clerk $10. court fee on your way out.
Sounds like a computer error. Happens all the time.

I tell you what, thank god i'm white. Ive had a a few other encounters with police and none as bad as that, but they all could have gone sour, if I were not white, didnt have kids in car with more my wife with me.
Most encounters with police regardless of race end up how you claim. Had you behaved like many people who get shot by police do it could have ended up worse, but it sounds like you behaved civilly.

One Chicago cop told me, if it werent for the 5 kids I had in car with me, he would haul my butt to the police station for making a U-turn.
That's because of the license coming up invalid, which many times means it's a fake ID. A common ploy by people with serious warrants to disguise who they are. The cop took it easy on you, probably because of the kids not because of your skin color. 

My advice to all is, do not live in Chicago or any big city.
Blue cities tend to be a pain in the ass that way. I agree with the advice, but I usually end up living in major cities anyway.

Did you notice how native Americans were the most disproportionately to be shot by police?

This is the 21st century. There is almost zero bigotry to native Americans. Wouldn't a more sensible thing to conclude be that native Americans are more likely to see police as an invading force and be uncooperative? It's not a conspiracy to genocide indians. Nor is it a conspiracy theory to genocide whites who are more likely to be shot in police interactions than blacks once you adjust the statistics for shootings per interaction 
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Why do you think the type of broken windows policing you are describing would specifically target minority communities because of race and not the more sensible reasoning being that members of those communities are more likely to be victimized and need more police presence?
I didnt say anthing about "police presence". Your off on a seperate tangent.

Sounds like a computer error. Happens all the time.

The eyes dont lie. The license was valid visually and should have gone no further. Period

Most encounters with police regardless of race end up how you claim. Had you behaved like many people who get shot by police do it could have ended up worse, but it sounds like you behaved civilly.
No one has a an accruate record of all police interactions.  Over last several years more vid coverage makes clear what people of color have been tellings us for 100's of years. Your in denial of what any fair minded, intelligent and inform people are aware of.

One Chicago cop told me, if it werent for the 5 kids I had in car with me, he would haul my butt to the police station for making a U-turn.
That's because of the license coming up invalid, which many times means it's a fake ID. A common ploy by people with serious warrants to disguise who they are. The cop took it easy on you, probably because of the kids not because of your skin color. 
NOpe, this is differrent incident involving U-turn not the ' no left-turn at intersection.

Blue cities tend to be a pain in the ass that way. I agree with the advice, but I usually end up living in major cities anyway.
Let me clarify on specifics,  dont live in big city poorer neigbor hoods unless your Mother Teresa or like-minded nuns who also drive cars.

Did you notice how native Americans were the most disproportionately to be shot by police?
Yes. But was most of that in big cities? I doubt that. I dunno.  Indians have always gotten the worst of the white oppression. They are just not as many of them in most cities and so they are not as medial worthy being a minority, on reservations or country side more.

This is the 21st century. There is almost zero bigotry to native Americans.

Huh?  Not sure where you getting your info from. It sounds false.

Wouldn't a more sensible thing to conclude be that native Americans are more likely to see police as an invading force and be uncooperative?
If there drunk with attitude, yes.

It's not a conspiracy to genocide indians.
I stated nothing about "conspiracy " ergo, you again have gone off and even more irrelevant tangent, to my comments. My thoughts about you as right-wing are panning out.

Nor is it a conspiracy theory to genocide whites who are more likely to be shot in police interactions than blacks once you adjust the statistics for shootings per interaction.
I dont have nor read all of the statistics.  I would place you lower on the people I would trust with such information in around all of the above, not just one particular set of considerations

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@ebuc
Below where you mention police interactions are more common in some areas

not been repeatedly hassled by police for minor stuff repeatedly, as may happen in some communities more
---

The eyes dont lie. The license was valid visually and should have gone no further. Period

Also while we are at it, cashiers should not use counterfeit pens on large bills since things are always precisely what they look like and zero people commit fraud

I stated nothing about "conspiracy " ergo, you again have gone off and even more irrelevant tangent, to my comments. My thoughts about you as right-wing are panning out.

Repeat what premises I clarified of yours before stating that so you can see why I equated the conclusions you drew from your premises was silly.

• I dont have nor read all of the statistics. I would place you lower on the people I would trust with such information in around all of the above, not just one particular set of considerations
It's the first result on Google. You should have read all of these studies I am citing off the top of my head before forming a conclusion to make sure ideology doesn't guide you coming up with convenient rationalizations

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1903856116

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Below where you mention police interactions are more common in some areas

Again, I did not say anything about "police presence" and certainly not in context you did. Your playing mind games.

not been repeatedly hassled by police for minor stuff repeatedly, as may happen in some communities more
Yeah, not relevant to your comments " police presence " and that context of you comment. You were off on a tangent then and still are.

Also while we are at it, cashiers should not use counterfeit pens on large bills since things are always precisely what they look like and zero people commit fraud
So now your implying that the police may have thought I had invalid because it was a false document. WTF?  This is like out some movie where the hitman or James Bond has all these false documents to use for various situations.

I was in old car, in unfamiliar area, and made simple error of not seeing the 'no left turn ' sign.  This was police error visual all the way till the charge me $10. court fee and all of my travel time loss and costs.

Do you always want to make amends for police error --regardless of how bad---?

Repeat what premises I clarified of yours before stating that so you can see why I equated the conclusions you drew from your premises was silly.

Huh?  Your off on tangents of conspiracy. Not what i was talking about.

It's the first result on Google. You should have read all of these studies I am citing off the top of my head before forming a conclusion to make sure ideology doesn't guide you coming up with convenient rationalizations
Top of Google does not make it accurrate or inaccurate info. Go back and read first comment by me in this thread. Consider the source always.

I dont want to deal with your type much Wylted. You have an agenda that is less about truth, logic, common sense and ciritical thinking, than I prefer to engage with for very long. Typical of most republican conservative types

TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@ebuc

While this is from 2016, the stats are pretty consistent for each year regarding less than 1.5% of black males (of their roughly 6% of the total population) committing over 50% of ALL violent person crimes.

Yes, they do.

More stats demonstrating black males commit more than 50% of violent crimes and being overrepresented in other criminal statistics. 

Cops are more than 19x more likely to be shot AND KILLED by an armed black male than blacks being shot (and not necessarily killed) by police at a rate of 3x.

Blacks are at higher risk of being killed/murdered by another black than by a cop. 

Cops go where the crime is, not where it is not. The more any one group is overrepresented in a particular crime (or crimes), the more police contacts they will have. And given the fact that black males are clearly violent, they often feel entitled to resist/fight arrest with police, which ends up getting them killed by their doing. 

TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@ebuc
@PREZ-HILTON
> @ebuc
 i'm white average, middle class male and not been repeatedly hassled by police for minor stuff repeatedly, as may happen in some communities more, because of race

> ebuc: I didnt say anthing about "police presence". Your off on a seperate tangent.
Again, I did not say anything about "police presence" and certainly not in context you did. Your playing mind games.
No, he is not. You are just not comprehending what he said; and what he said was spot on point. You cherry picking the term “police presence” is what is throwing you off.

Look at what you said: repeatedly hassled by police for minor stuff repeatedly, as may happen in some communities more, because of race

If there is no police present within “some communities,” then how else can they (police) “hassle” members of those communities “because of race”? There has to be a presence, and a police presence is suppose to be a deterrent to flagrant criminal activity (it is precisely why Stop n Frisk worked in NYC in reducing flagrant criminal activity; the police presence kept it at bay).

Minorities are not HASSLED by police. Police being proactive in looking for criminals (e.g. Ted Bundy was caught during a traffic stop) and potentially stopping crimes before they happen (e.g. Terry v Ohio) is what they are charged with in maintaining law and order in America’s communities of ALL races, ethnicities, etc.

And if a certain group of a certain racial persuasion are overrepresented in criminal activities, well, again, cops go where the crime is not where it is not. They look for the “usual suspects” (especially those already known to them as repeat offenders), which includes getting tickets (even parking tickets), contacted (stop n frisk), and followed (with proper PC).

What Wylted brought up was a correct observation, your obfuscation of it with the “police presence” rebuttal is pure nonsense. 

11 days later

AleutianTexan
AleutianTexan
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Indigenous Americans are the most disproportionately shot by police because there is systemic racism in the system, but indigenous Americans aren't enough of the population to get any mobilization behind them. It's the same reason there is missing indigenous American women that go missing all the time and nothing is done. Also, in regard to the idea that there isn't a conspiracy to genocide all indigenous Americans, I would argue that it hasn't been a conspiracy since "kill the Indian, save the man" was policy.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@AleutianTexan
Indigenous Americans are the most disproportionately shot by police because there is systemic racism in the system
What do you mean by systematic racism?

Usually when people use the term they mean the system is literally set up to exploit or marginalize the group mentioned, which we would see by laws specifically being set up to do that. 

So we have two theories here and you believe yours is more plausible.

My theory- Native Americans are more likely to resist arrest and do other things that put a cops life in danger. I did attach a plausible cause to this theory as to why they are more likely to resist.

Your theory- cops shoot native Americans, not because the cops are racist but because the legal/government system is racist against native Americans.

Is that a correct interpretation of your claim or am I misunderstanding what you mean by systematic racism?

I want you to know the term systematic racism is used different depending on what social scientist is talking about it. It's almost a meaningless term and I have to guess. There is other definitions of systematic racism, but most of those definitions don't contradict my claim of why native Americans are disproportionately shot by police. 

indigenous Americans aren't enough of the population to get any mobilization behind them. It's the same reason there is missing indigenous American women that go missing all the time and nothing is done

Your explanation for the missing women is that of systematic racism, not that indigenous lands are basically sovereign nations and that they have a hard time investigating crimes because they are poorly equipped to police themselves and that investigations of police aren't also hindered because of the lack of cooperation of people who view them as invaders as well as lack of access to the areas they need to investigate?

That's a genuine question. 

Also, in regard to the idea that there isn't a conspiracy to genocide all indigenous Americans, I would argue that it hasn't been a conspiracy since "kill the Indian, save the man" was policy
I doubt anybody will dispute that native Americans were treated like shit in America's past and are still suffering the effects of that. 

The "still suffering the effects" part is what some sociologiats would define as systematic racism, but I assumed you weren't using that definition as you seemed to want to contradict what I said, and what I said doesn't contradict that definition.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
@AleutianTexan
What do you mean by systematic racism?

..' Rumble ' good  movie on systemic racism of native american indians.Its on Netflix.    I dont remmber ever hearing of the man Rumble, but once I heard him play that chord, I'm like oh yeah, you dont forget that sound, that was systemically not given air time in USA radio outlets.

Spanish committed genocide from the south, and primarily whites committed semi-genociede of native north american indians. 

Recently they have found dead and buried  remains of native north american indian children in basements of schools, ---including Canada--  that, is much more recent than 1800's.

People of color is the browning of humanity.  Get used to it whitey's. Its a sex thing, and after food and shelter, we all know what is the next most significant hormonal drive, that, has a few inherent boundarys and Spirit-1, Meta-space mind/intellect/concept moral ones.

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@ebuc
' Rumble ' good movie on systemic racism of native american indians.Its on Netflix. I dont remmber ever hearing of the man Rumble, but once I heard him play that chord, I'm like oh yeah, you dont forget that sound, that was systemically not given air time in USA radio outlets.
Please provide evidence that he wasn't given airplay because of being a native American, particularly when at the same time there were famous indigenous people given airplay 
AleutianTexan
AleutianTexan
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
1. Laws are systemically set up against indigenous Americans, but pervasive cultures of racism in powerful institutions like policing also count as systemic racism. Trying to point out individuals ignores that groups can develop cultures and these cultures inherently lead to issues.

2. Yeah, there are barriers because indigenous Americans are less likely to trust government institutions. I wonder why. On top of that, the state is essentially ignoring these issues. There isn't attempts to solve this problem as a pervasive issue.

3. That is a part of systemic racism. Systemic racism is saying that there are cultural, socioeconomic, institutional, and/or legal barriers to full equality. For example, if every business is allowed and does bar access to a certain race, there isn't a direct law that harms that race, but they are still systemically discriminated against.
AleutianTexan
AleutianTexan
-->
@ebuc
People of color is the browning of humanity.  Get used to it whitey's.
I hate it when indigenous Americans are getting caught up in the current political race dialogue. indigenous Americans are not part of the "browning of American or Europe", but are the victim of whitening of America. I'm willing to grant that Europe is for Europeans if we can agree that America is for indigenous Americans.

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@AleutianTexan

Yeah, there are barriers because indigenous Americans are less likely to trust government institutions. I wonder why. On top of that, the state is essentially ignoring these issues. There isn't attempts to solve this problem as a pervasive issue.
I don't trust government institutions, so I understand the feeling. that actually supports my statement though about police shootings being because this distrust causes more native Americans to resist arrest and be perceived as threats as a response to that,
AleutianTexan
AleutianTexan
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
GOT ONE

I would argue that white people think of indigenous Americans, especially those on the reservation, as a secondary class. This is proven in the amount of violent crime done to them, lack of social resources at a governmental level, and police killings. The phrase got one was the story of two guys in a truck, driving down the road, and threw an axe at an indigenous woman running away. Upon hitting her, they yelled got one. Indigenous Americans are put to the periphery and I can give you more personal, anecdotal, historical, or legal examples if you want.

Edit: The fact that this conversation of police shooting is focusing on black Americans, you bring this up about indigenous Americans, and this issue isn't discussed is itself proof.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@AleutianTexan
GOT ONE

I would argue that white people think of indigenous Americans, especially those on the reservation, as a secondary class. This is proven in the amount of violent crime done to them, lack of social resources at a governmental level, and police killings. The phrase got one was the story of two guys in a truck, driving down the road, and threw an axe at an indigenous woman running away. Upon hitting her, they yelled got one. Indigenous Americans are put to the periphery and I can give you more personal, anecdotal, historical, or legal examples if you want.

That's pretty racist of you to think white people believe what you stated, tbh. The guys you mentioned seem like they need to go to prison for a hate crime though

Edit: The fact that this conversation of police shooting is focusing on black Americans, you bring this up about indigenous Americans, and this issue isn't discussed is itself proof.

It's basically to demonstrate that the disparities aren't necessarily a result of modern racism. The fact it happens to native americans more than african americans when it is clear that more racism in modern times would be directed at black americans than Native Americans  is just an example to prove what I am saying.

The reason it is a useful example is because I am aware of the same thing all Native Americans are aware of. White society stole their land. America rightfully belongs to them. Of course they would be more antagonistic towards police and perhaps rightfully so. That's not any indication of modern police racism. Hell a lot of these police officers around reservations are probably also Native American and love their people, culture and family and may also share some negative feelings about whites stealing America, but are just doing what they feel is right in signing up to protect their community. 

You say you will give examples, but you really aren't showing signs of structural racism. For example you mentioned some racist asshole throwing an axe. you mention disparity in policing outcomes. 

I am going to make a guess. My guess is that people making less than $1,000,000 a year are more likely to be shot and killed by cops than people making more than that. Is your theory then going to be that the disproportionate police violence towards middle class Americans somehow means these blue collar workers are classist against the middle class?

What about the Japanese and Jewish Americans? Why are they disproportionately less likely to be shot by police than whites? Is your theory that police are less racist against Japanese and Jewish people than they are whites?

You seem logical in a lot of respects and you have spent other threads pointing out illogical statements I have made. Why is this a blind spot for you? Why do you have an emotional attachment to the belief that Blacks are poor, and helpless and police are a bunch of racists or are atleast culturally and systematically racist against blacks but hate native americans even more and are somehow Nazi apologists who are cool with Jews so shoot them less often than whites?

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@AleutianTexan
... "browning of American or Europe",...
Browning of humanity. includes all nations.

...“Someday,” he predicted, “the whole world will be brown.”...

...."Once the grandchildren arrived, both sides of the family came to terms with my parents’ union. But my brother, born in 1960, and I, three years later, were still technically the illegal products of “miscegenation” — the interbreeding of races — in 20 of these United States (although California wasn’t one of them). It wasn’t until 50 years ago today, in 1967, that the Supreme Court ruling Loving vs. Virginia struck down the prohibition against racial intermarriage."...

19 friggin 67. This is how friggin racist americans have been and continue to be, to lesser degree, to this day.

1850 > 360 degree full blown racist whiteys.

1950  > 275 degree full blown whitey racists

2022 > 100 degree { or more }full blown whitey racists
AleutianTexan
AleutianTexan
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
1. The police were fundamentally started to support the owner class. If I call the police and tell them I'm not being paid to legal standard, they say they can't help me or that I'm wasting their time. However, there are multiple instances of police breaking up legally protected strikes, so yeah, the police are systemically biased against the working class. The issue is that the police are the force behind everything the government does, so every instance of government oppression on the working class or racial groups can be attributed to them as they uphold that bias or hierarchy through force.

2. It's not racist, it's a reality. Indigenous Americans are a secondary concern for almost all of society. Nuclear weapons tests, on reservations. Nuclear waste, on reservations. The Navajo nation doesn't even have an address for every business and house, making voting, medicine deliveries, and paying bills a hassle. You brought up the example of indigenous American shootings by police, but this has been overshadowed by violence on black Americans, both in this thread and writ large. When indigenous American tribal governments asked for more respirators and materials to fight Covid, they were given body bags. The example of "Got One" is just the literalization of what every systemic activity, including policing, creates for indigenous Americans.

3. Japanese and Jewish Americans are less likely to face policie discrimination because the discrimination they face is different. The violence done against each race (including white people, as there are unfair aspects to their existence as well), is unique and can't be cross applied. My argument isn't that each cop is an individual white supremacist, look at the death of Tyre Nichols. My argument is that policing develops racists cultures and there is systemic and cultural practices in the police that lead to outcomes that disproportionately affect black and indigenous bodies.
ebuc
ebuc
Humans started out brown-black, then those migrated north further from equator,  evolved lighter skin tones, and they became industrially prominent group of humans.  Those whiteys are browning with rest of the world more and more. 

92% of chinese people are han ethnicity

18% of humanity is chinese Han

...." But after living in China for a while I realized that what we would consider racism in the West is simply a deeply ingrained cultural characteristic of mainland Chinese people.  White skin (the Chinese like to consider themselves white) and or being a Han (the dominant ethnic group) means a person is good.  Dark skin or not being Han means a person is inferior (and more likely to be a bad guy/a thief/incompetent etc.).  It does not equal KKK style hatred.  It does not even mean a Han Chinese wouldn't be friends with a person from India or Africa.  It simply means that if a person is non-white or a member of certain Chinese minorities, they simply are to be considered less smart, less competent and less trustworthy than the average white person or Han "...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Browning of humanity. includes all nations.

...“Someday,” he predicted, “the whole world will be brown.”...

...."Once the grandchildren arrived, both sides of the family came to terms with my parents’ union. But my brother, born in 1960, and I, three years later, were still technically the illegal products of “miscegenation” — the interbreeding of races — in 20 of these United States (although California wasn’t one of them). It wasn’t until 50 years ago today, in 1967, that the Supreme Court ruling Loving vs. Virginia struck down the prohibition against racial intermarriage."...

19 friggin 67. This is how friggin racist americans have been and continue to be, to lesser degree, to this day.

1850 > 360 degree full blown racist whiteys.

1950  > 275 degree full blown whitey racists

2022 > 100 degree { or more }full blown whitey racists

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@AleutianTexan
No such thing as an Indigene, they are just previous settlers that migrated from Asia.

Who originally migrated from the cradle of humanity.

Same as everyone else.

Someone from Central Africa perhaps has the rightful claim to indigenouship.
AleutianTexan
AleutianTexan
-->
@zedvictor4
I'm not arguing land back, I'm arguing that a racial group isn't fairly treated. This is not an answer.