Am I allowed to sue my parents for giving birth to me?

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 29
Best.Korea
Debates: 265
Best.Korea
It seems that my life is horrible and not something I agreed to.

So can I sue my parents for fraud?
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea
You might.
By
Olivia Goldhill

PublishedFebruary 9, 2019

A man is suing his parents for giving birth to him without his consent. That might sound ridiculous, but he has a point. The plaintiff behind the lawsuit, 27-year-old Raphael Samuel, believes in “anti-natalism,” namely the philosophical theory that parents do not have moral standing to bring an unwitting child into the world. And there are some seriously legitimate philosophers who advocate for this argument.
The best-known anti-natalist is David Benatar, head of the philosophy department at the University of Cape Town and author of the 2006 book Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence. (Though Benatar is heralded as a philosopher, he’s controversial at the University of Cape Town for comments he’s made about race, and was dismissive of African philosophy in a recent interview with Quartz.) A 2012 New Yorker article on the theory highlights a central premise of Benatar’s work: If a couple have multiple hereditary genetic diseases and live in horrendous conditions, we might well agree they have a moral obligation not to procreate and so avoid bringing into the world a child who will suffer terribly. Conversely, if a couple is wealthy and disease-free, we would not consider them morally obliged to create a child.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
Thats interesting. I always knew there should be a punishment for poor parenting or defective procreation. It just seems that courts dont take this life ruining crimes seriously.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Best.Korea
So can I sue my parents for fraud?
On grounds of fraud, no. No one advertised life as 100% fun and rainbows.

Child abuse might get you somewhere, though generally speaking your legal guardians have sole authority to make medical decisions for you until you reach the age of majority or are legally emancipated. The article mentioned by FLRW was in India and as far as I can tell, never actually reached the courts.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Michael

So I cannot sue my parents? That seems very sad, but okay.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Child abuse might get you somewhere
Problem is that child abuse is mostly legal.

Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Best.Korea
I don't think you should be able to sue your parents for giving birth to you...I do however, think everyone else should be able to sue your parents for giving birth to you.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Sidewalker
I am happy with that too.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Sidewalker
On grounds of defamation lol
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
Frivolous lawsuit. Purely asinine and unfounded. 
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Best.Korea
You wouldn't even be able to ask that question, if your parents didn't give birth to you. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
If you live in the US, you can seemingly sue anyone for anything.

And get away with it if you can afford to pay for the better legal team.

Civil Law is a for profit industry don't forget.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
You wouldn't even be able to ask that question, if your parents didn't give birth to you.
Yeah, but thats not what happened.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@zedvictor4
If you live in the US, you can seemingly sue anyone for anything.
Yes, that does sound interesting. However, my goal is to win the fight, not just start it.

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Best.Korea
Yeah, but thats not what happened.
Dude, you literally asked the question.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Yes, but your condition "your parents didnt give birth to you" didnt happen, sadly.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Best.Korea
I said "if"
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Yes, if.
MeowRanger
Debates: 2
MeowRanger
This was something I never imagined of.... Well in my opinion it's not totally your parent's fault that your life is horrible. You yourself hold some share too. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@MeowRanger
You yourself hold some share too.
I didnt choose to be alive. It was imposed on me. I wish I was never born. Now that I am born, I dont take any responsibilities for my actions.
MeowRanger
Debates: 2
MeowRanger
-->
@Best.Korea
I guess you have forgotten that you can't make decisions when you doesn't exist. Decision making is a privilege for people who are alive....  That privilege is provided to you by your parents.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@MeowRanger
I guess you have forgotten that you can't make decisions when you doesn't exist.
No, I did not forget that. I am glad that you admit being alive wasnt my decision. At least we are getting somewhere.

Decision making is a privilege for people who are alive....  That privilege is provided to you by your parents.
I wouldnt call it a privilege to be forced into suffering. My parents forced me to suffer, so I am not exactly grateful for that.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Best.Korea
Your parent's conceiving and giving birth to you could arguably fall under Good Samaritan law. They intended a good life for you, one better than nonexistence, but unfortunately their actions caused more harm than good.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Best.Korea
You can sue anyone for anything, doesn't mean you will win. Burden of proof is on you. You have to prove your life sucks because of them and not your own shitty life decisions. Being born isn't a defense.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@sadolite
Courts will never take me seriously, so I cannot win. But it is a nice dream.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Best.Korea
Courts will never take me seriously
This is usually indicative of having a stupid case.

14 days later

AleutianTexan
Debates: 4
AleutianTexan
-->
@Sidewalker
Can I get in if we're doing a class action? Anything to pay off my student debt.

12 days later

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
But you seem to enjoy trolling around this forum, so I don't think your life is horrible. Think about africans, or muslim women, that is a horrible life. :)

And no, you cannot sue your parents for having procreated you because the alleged crime must have been prescribed by now. But all depends on the legislation of the country you were born in.
Skipper_Sr
Debates: 10
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Best.Korea
It is possible to get away with prosecution and to sue, but your argument is self-defeating. If you were not born, you would not be able to have this argument. You are defending that you should not be alive right now. It would be better if you not alive.

It appears you are blaming those around you, especially your parents, for where you are in life right now. If you viewed your life as good, you would not be arguing for this.  

You would definitely have a disorder that is akin to suicide to say it would better off I did not exist