What is morality

Author: keithprosser

Total: 199
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
I feel that i want be able to hit someone " imorraly hard Enough "  to register on the  ( Moral omitor ) . 

Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
-> @Shila
Because the collective is never 100% of everyone, then everyone is always an exception to someone else's rule.
The collective is the majority. So only a few are the exceptions.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
A collective can be ten or ten million.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
I'll always talk to you Deb.

Hey, when you've plummeted the depths of immorality.

Why not do something fantastic.

It doesn't take a GOD for you to be kind to others.

Peace to the World.
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
--> @Shila
A collective can be ten or ten million.
It is still greater than the individual.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Sidewalker
Do you believe in an objective good and evil then?

I ask as you say,
"as we explore our experiential environment we will arrive at moral knowledge in the same way that we arrive at other types of knowledge"
and
"it is reasonable to accept as fact that we are morally responsible causal agents "
Shila
Shila
-->
@Sidewalker

--> @Sidewalker
Good and evil in the Bible are objective truths.
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Lemming

I ask as you say,
"as we explore our experiential environment we will arrive at moral knowledge in the same way that we arrive at other types of knowledge"
and
"it is reasonable to accept as fact that we are morally responsible causal agents "

Yes, I suppose I do.

As morally responsible causal agents exploring the moral dimension of reality, it is by direct observation that we can conclude that there is real mental or moral causality in the universe, and from that, we can conclude that moral knowledge is objective knowledge.
As the immaterial magnetic field manifests in the material world as attractive and repulsive forces, we can recognize good and evil as aspects of moral the dimension of reality with attractive and repulsive forces. The the perception of objective goodness would manifest in reality as an attractive force which is not causal but the influence of an ideal that calls us to realize it.

Moral knowledge is objective because it is based on human nature, and in the process of transcending our previous state and bringing a new reality into being, we are ultimately the creators of human nature, we define our nature by the choices we make.  The assumption of freedom then, is a condition of the possibility of moral action, of acting on moral principles in the first place.  Consequently, morality has always been presented to us as a “choice” for us to make and how we "ought to behave" necessarily becomes a pragmatic consideration.

By using the faculty of reason we can determine the way we ought to behave by simply accepting the responsibility that comes with the resultant freedom to choose. By turning away from unresolvable and obfuscating intellectual constructs, and simply voting with our life by choosing to be responsible for how we ought to behave and accepting the percieved objective morality as axiomatic in making a truly moral life possible.

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Shila

--> @Sidewalker
If the Bible says good and evil come directly from the mind of God, then by definition, wouldn't they be subjective truths?
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@zedvictor4
FAILED 

Yeah i failed. 
Couldn't for the life of me sink to the level of IMMORALITY.  

Surly its the long period I've sustained  of  ( not doing bad shlt )  that has hindered my ability to ( do bad shlt ) 
Orrrrrr
The prellong period with NO  triggering of ones " fight or flight "   
I can not remember the last oddly high  adrenaline rush .     

What i am trying to say is. 
I may have ruined / caused irreversible  damage to my   " fighty  flighty "  organ , gland , receptors. 
Thus rendering me moraly good until the day i die. 
PERMANENTLY MORAL. 

BUT THE GOOD THING HERE IS. 

Today and tomorrow just so happen to be  " moral acts weekend " 
(JUST ONE ) moral act is required over the weekend.   

He who   commits the most morally   " MORAL OF  ACTS "  WINS. . 

Ive been thinking about what can i do that definitely  falls under the agreed  banner of. (  " Very moral " )
And what do ya know.?
I don't think it is going to be as easy as i think. 

These acts that people are feeling comfortable with calling  ( Mor  or   imm ) seem to be acts that all of a sudden you find youself in.  
Well played out in this scenario.  ( with people acting in this spare of the moment manner )  really give us insight into ones ,
lets call it .
General kindness  /  Someone's,  genral character.
Then  Couple this with a persons past behavior.   

Oh i lost it. 

Well Im off to commit pure morallness. 
Wish me luck.
Good day.  

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
That's a truism for sure.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
It just sounds like you are imbued with morality.

Morality is.

Moral is neither very, nor is it less than itself.

The needle of morality does not swing back and forth, between one 1 and 22.

There is no 0 on a moralometer. Which in fact has a needle fixed firmly on M.

For that one requires the immoralometer, with its needle fixed firmly on IMM.

Neither is to be confused with a compass.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Sidewalker
--> @Shila

--> @Sidewalker
If the Bible says good and evil come directly from the mind of God, then by definition, wouldn't they be subjective truths?
Truth cannot be subjective; there is no such thing as your truth or my truth. Truth is forever fixed. Authentic Christianity has always held that Scripture is absolute, objective truth. The Bible is God’s truth regardless of whether a person believes, understands, or likes it. It is permanent and universal truth, and therefore is the same for everyone. Deuteronomy 4:2 and Revelation 22:18–19 warn against adding to or taking away from Scripture, lest one suffer the plagues recorded therein. Proverbs 30:5–6 states: “Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar.” The Bible is God’s Word to man—inspired, objective, and absolute truth.

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Shila
Truth cannot be subjective; there is no such thing as your truth or my truth. Truth is forever fixed. Authentic Christianity has always held that Scripture is absolute, objective truth. The Bible is God’s truth regardless of whether a person believes, understands, or likes it. It is permanent and universal truth, and therefore is the same for everyone. Deuteronomy 4:2 and Revelation 22:18–19 warn against adding to or taking away from Scripture, lest one suffer the plagues recorded therein. Proverbs 30:5–6 states: “Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar.” The Bible is God’s Word to man—inspired, objective, and absolute truth.
The very nature and use of the word “truth implies that it is referential to a dynamic, it isn’t self-referential, it refers to a relationship between things in constant change and flux because that dynamic is subject to time and progress.

The Truth is not true because Jesus said it; Jesus said it because it is true.  There is a huge difference and the difference is this; the Truth is also true when Muhammad says it, and it is just as true when an atheist says it. The Truth is simply true, no matter what the metaphysical presuppositions of the person who speaks the Truth are, and no matter in what time or place, language or culture, or in what form that truth is expressed. Absolute Truth is absolutely, universally, and eternally true.

Absolute truth is not consistent with literal truth.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Sidewalker
--> @Shila
The very nature and use of the word “truth implies that it is referential to a dynamic, it isn’t self-referential, it refers to a relationship between things in constant change and flux because that dynamic is subject to time and progress.
Truth is not relative.
Truth is forever fixed. Authentic Christianity has always held that Scripture is absolute, objective truth. The Bible is God’s truth regardless of whether a person believes, understands, or likes it. It is permanent and universal truth, and therefore is the same for everyone.
The Truth is not true because Jesus said it; Jesus said it because it is true.  There is a huge difference and the difference is this; the Truth is also true when Muhammad says it, and it is just as true when an atheist says it. The Truth is simply true, no matter what the metaphysical presuppositions of the person who speaks the Truth are, and no matter in what time or place, language or culture, or in what form that truth is expressed. Absolute Truth is absolutely, universally, and eternally true.

Absolute truth is not consistent with literal truth.
John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 
1 Peter 1:25 but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away

Jesus spoke the absolute truth. 

Mohammad claimed the truth was revealed to him by Gabriel.
Atheists have yet to discover the truth.

Absolute Truth is absolutely, universally, and eternally true and should be taken literally.
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Shila
John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 
1 Peter 1:25 but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away

Jesus spoke the absolute truth. 

Mohammad claimed the truth was revealed to him by Gabriel.
Atheists have yet to discover the truth.

Absolute Truth is absolutely, universally, and eternally true and should be taken literally.
Jesus’ native language was Aramaic, which is not just structurally and grammatically different than English, it is also very different in that it is a rich, poetic language that utilizes webs of constellated meanings to represent ideas. Jesus "spoke as no man had spoken before", and he spoke as "One who knows", he used words to inspire and initiate, to involve the listener, and to transmit complex ideas through imagery. The language he used was polyphonic, poetic, and profoundly imaginative. It is a great tragedy if we try to take words and expressions that were originally meant to resonate on many different levels of meaning, intellectual, metaphorical, and universal levels, and translate them into explicit representations of literal material facts. If we do so, we are bound to "miss the mark", so to speak.

2 Corinthians 3:6
 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

1 Corinthians 7:7
For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.

1 Corinthians 13:12 
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1 Corinthians 8:1-2 
Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

Isaiah 55:8-9
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Shila
Truth is not relative.
Truth is forever fixed. Authentic Christianity has always held that Scripture is absolute, objective truth. The Bible is God’s truth regardless of whether a person believes, understands, or likes it. It is permanent and universal truth, and therefore is the same for everyone.

If "Absolute Truth is absolutely, universally, and eternally true", then it can’t be a literal truth.  The God of the Bible cannot in any way be circumscribed or even exhaustively defined by any single tradition, to circumscribe is to bound and limit, and “the word of God is not bound (2 Timothy 2:9)

If the Absolute Truth being imparted by those who wrote the Bible is in fact universally true, then it is necessarily represented everywhere, in all cultural contexts, and therefore it is one and the same Absolute Spirit that is presented in a variety of different forms in all of the great religions of Mankind.  To paraphrase Huston Smith, “People differ even when nurtured by the same culture, and as the Absolute Truth must try to speak to the needs of all, it has no choice but to spread out in almost endless diversity, even within the same tradition."

That’s why the Bible explicitly instructs us to change our focus from actively pondering the material level to passively opening to the internal, transcendent knowledge within, in particular it says, “not of the letter,but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life” (2 Corinthians 3:6).

The Christian belief in God precludes any existence apart from God, and in recognition of our solidarity with the whole of reality, it tells us that the most important commandment of all is to “Love our neighbor as we love ourselves”, the only way to comply with that commandment is to understand that their faith is to them, what our own faith is to us.

19 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@Sidewalker
Jesus’ native language was Aramaic, which is not just structurally and grammatically different than English, it is also very different in that it is a rich, poetic language that utilizes webs of constellated meanings to represent ideas. Jesus "spoke as no man had spoken before", and he spoke as "One who knows", he used words to inspire and initiate, to involve the listener, and to transmit complex ideas through imagery. The language he used was polyphonic, poetic, and profoundly imaginative. It is a great tragedy if we try to take words and expressions that were originally meant to resonate on many different levels of meaning, intellectual, metaphorical, and universal levels, and translate them into explicit representations of literal material facts. If we do so, we are bound to "miss the mark", so to speak.

2 Corinthians 3:6
 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

1 Corinthians 7:7
For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.

1 Corinthians 13:12 
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1 Corinthians 8:1-2 
Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

Isaiah 55:8-9
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
1 Corinthians was written by Paul. It was written in Greek and after Jesus was crucified.

Isaiah was written in Hebrew and part of the Old Testament.

Where is your Aramaic example?

Shila
Shila
-->
@Sidewalker
Truth is not relative.

If "Absolute Truth is absolutely, universally, and eternally true", then it can’t be a literal truth.  The God of the Bible cannot in any way be circumscribed or even exhaustively defined by any single tradition, to circumscribe is to bound and limit, and “the word of God is not bound (2 Timothy 2:9)

The absolute truth simply means unquestionable.
The Bible claims that there is only one absolute truth (Ephesians 1:13; John 17:17). If any other truth claim is accepted outside of the Bible, then the truth is compromised. When the absolute truth of God’s Word is compromised, the church loses its power and is no longer “the pillar and ground of the truth” (1 Timothy 3:15). If the church loses the truth, the church loses the potency of its message. Darkness cannot illuminate darkness.
If the Absolute Truth being imparted by those who wrote the Bible is in fact universally true, then it is necessarily represented everywhere, in all cultural contexts, and therefore it is one and the same Absolute Spirit that is presented in a variety of different forms in all of the great religions of Mankind.  To paraphrase Huston Smith, “People differ even when nurtured by the same culture, and as the Absolute Truth must try to speak to the needs of all, it has no choice but to spread out in almost endless diversity, even within the same tradition."

God is universal in all religions. 
That’s why the Bible explicitly instructs us to change our focus from actively pondering the material level to passively opening to the internal, transcendent knowledge within, in particular it says, “not of the letter,but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life” (2 Corinthians 3:6). 

Paul is clarifying the difference between the letter of the law and the coming of the Holy Spirit. But the truth never changed.
The Christian belief in God precludes any existence apart from God, and in recognition of our solidarity with the whole of reality, it tells us that the most important commandment of all is to “Love our neighbor as we love ourselves”, the only way to comply with that commandment is to understand that their faith is to them, what our own faith is to us.
But the Bible also tells us the Gentiles were not equal to the Jews. If they cannot love your god then they cannot be seen as equal.

Which brings us to the first commandment. They have to love your god before you can love them.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' there is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:30-31