If your internal organs have a purpose, God exists.

Author: Fallaneze

Total: 46
Fallaneze
Debates: 0
Fallaneze
Without God, evolution is just a mindless process that has no aims or goals. This means that everything that results from evolution is purposeless, including internal organs. If our organs fo have a purpose, and not one that we're merely imagining, an external intelligence is required for such a purpose.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Dear Jesus. I am so sorry bout your worshipers. 
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
Seems outrageous but it's perfectly logical.
TwoMan
TwoMan
You could say that about anything. Internal organs, evolution, existence itself. How could anything exist without a purpose? I'm not saying you are wrong but that does not constitute proof.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Fallaneze
First, if you intend this as an argument for the existence of God, you are committing an appeal to consequences fallacy.

As for your assertions, I wouldn't say that evolution has no goals. The goals are survival and reproduction. Therefore the purpose of internal organs is to further those goals.

As for life itself having no purpose without God, I assume you find this undesirable. I'll offer another perspective. Which is preferable, having your life's  purpose dictated by an outside agent, or being free to decide your own purpose?

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Without God, evolution is just a mindless process that has no aims or goals. This means that everything that results from evolution is purposeless, including internal organs. If our organs fo have a purpose, and not one that we're merely imagining, an external intelligence is required for such a purpose.
Our organs don't have a purpose.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@Stronn
How could evolution have goals? Evolution is a mindless process, like physics. In order to have goals you must possess intent (to reach the goal) and knowledge (of the goal itself). It's pretty obvious that mindless processes are incapable of both

Are internal organs the result of evolution?

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@drafterman
Medical science describes our internal organs as if they do. 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Fallaneze
Most likely they simply describe their function. Nevertheless, it is a trait of humans to humanize and personify non-human things. This does not mean they have a purpose.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@drafterman
A function is either just a description of activity (like describing water soaking into the soil as a 'function') or it's described in terms of something done in order to achieve something. You can say that our organs have a function in the first sense but not the second.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Fallaneze
Neither requires a purpose.

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@drafterman
It's a matter of whether a mindless process can account for it
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Fallaneze
It can.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@drafterman
So would you have no problem with "physics" rolling a boulder down a hill in order to achieve something?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Fallaneze
Physics isn't a thing or force that does anything. Like I said, humans anthropromorphize things.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@drafterman
Apply the same principle to evolution. They're both mindless processes.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Fallaneze
Yep!
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@drafterman
Ok cool, so internal organs can't be doing something in order to achieve something.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Fallaneze
Why not?
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@drafterman
For the same reason physics can't. They're both mindless processes.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Fallaneze
What does that have to do with achieving something?
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@drafterman
Because by achieving something you're goal-setting. What is being achieved if there's no goal? 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Fallaneze
Humans define the goals, not organs or physics.

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@drafterman
Right, so our organs can't be doing something in order to achieve something. That would just be us imagining it.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Fallaneze
Yep! You got it!
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@drafterman
So medical science is based on our imagination though?

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Fallaneze
They part where we metaphorically describe organs as achieving goals, yes.
keithprosser
keithprosser
I think it a good idea to have a concrete example, such as 'Hearts exists to circulate the blood'.

F is asking how a mindless process would 'know' it would need hearts and set about evolving them.

It was Darwin (mainly) who answered that puzzle.  He pointed out that because things reproduce imperfecly natural selection will achieve similar looking results as a planned, conscious

If you look at a highly evolved organism (such as a human) and work backwards in time it can appear that everything was aimed at producing a human begin as the end point.    But if you begin at the start and work forwards, there are countless branch points which could have gone a different way.   If things were a little different this post may have beem written by an intelligent dinosaur and it would appear that the aim or goal of evolution was to produce 'Tyranosaurus Sapiens'.

The other aspect is that having no goal seems to rob life of its 'meaning and purpose'.  That nihilistic conclusion is not psychologically appealing but I think it can be viewed postively.   What it means is that our fate and destiny isn't determined by anything 'out there' - we can choose our future - we can set our own aims and goals.   I think that is as exciting as it a terrifying!  I can imagine how nice it would be to have someone or something to do the thinking and planning for us - all we have to do is follow orders and leave the responsibility to the boss. 

But there is no boss - we have to make the decisions and suffer or enjoy the consequences of our choices.  It's just a pity we aren't very good at it.

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@keithprosser
The results so far, whether human beings, dogs, monkeys, etc. isn't of interest. What I want to point out is that internal organs, the results of a mindless process, cannot have any aims or goals. They are not something that achieves anything, other than in the mind of human imagination. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Fallaneze
Sorry - but I can't respond because I don't understand what you are getting at.