Who’s The Fool?

Author: Stephen

Total: 19
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
Who reallyis the fool, Jesus or those who repeat and regurgitate Jesus’ contradictions?
Matthew 5:22threatens anyone calling someone a fool isindanger of hell fire”.

So what? Onemay ask. It must be terrible that theists cannot call atheists “fools”.   Buthold on just a second:
What do wehave here? Luke 24:25
Jesus “sonof god” calling people “fools”!!!!

Surely,this is a mistranslation?  Surely, it isI who is at fault? Surely, I have misquoted the verses? Surely, I havemistranslated?
Surely, I have taken these verses out ofcontext? Surely, I have misunderstood?
Surely, itis me who cannot read. Surely, it is I who is the fool?

SURLEY, THIS IS A CLEAR CONTRADICTION BYJESUS, THE SON OF GOD HIMSELF!

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Stephen
Jesus is Lucifer, sent to deceive and yet went beyond what he was sent to do, he didn't just deceive and suffer in his lesser human form as God of OT though he would, he actually successfully made God of OT the 'devil'/'Iblis' Satan/Shai'tan of two different religions (Christianity and Islam) and even made his other religion the single biggest, most intoxicating and destructive rival of the other one.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Atheists are fools, they say that The Ultimate Reality doesn't exist.

Can't get more foolish than that.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
I notice you have ignored the contradiction there, mopac. Either explain it or leave the thread. i don't want you damming up this thread will your repetitive mantra.

So you choose then to ignore the instructions of your god christ? Or don't you believe his warnings?

Atheists are fools,

Matthew 5:22  "but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire".

PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@Stephen

Who reallyis the fool, Jesus or those who repeat and regurgitate Jesus’ contradictions?
Matthew 5:22threatens anyone calling someone a fool is “indanger of hell fire”.

So what? Onemay ask. It must be terrible that theists cannot call atheists “fools”.   Buthold on just a second:
What do wehave here? Luke 24:25
Jesus “sonof god” calling people “fools”!!!!

Surely,this is a mistranslation?  Surely, it isI who is at fault? Surely, I have misquoted the verses? Surely, I havemistranslated?
Surely, I have taken these verses out ofcontext? Surely, I have misunderstood?
Surely, itis me who cannot read. Surely, it is I who is the fool?

SURLEY, THIS IS A CLEAR CONTRADICTION BYJESUS , THE SON OF GOD HIMSELF!
PS. Your words are running together and there are many spelling mistakes. Just saying, although it has nothing to do with the argument it does make it difficult to read at times. 

The Word Fool

First, God calls atheist's fools because a finite creature is making a statement that cannot be verified with certainty from a finite mind. Nevertheless what word is being used in Matthew 5:22 and is it the same word used elsewhere? So, be careful about the semantic use of a word. 
The word ''raca" is a word that is not used in Luke 24:25.

Second, God has given adequate evidence not only in the created order - i.e., the universe, life, history - but also via His written revelation.

Third, what applies to God applies also to Jesus, as the God/man.

Fourth, to add to the first premise, the context of "fool" is used in the context of a brother. Again, you did not take the verse in its full context. A brother in Christ is one who shares the same values, the same destiny, and the same Master or teacher - Jesus Christ. Again, as is proving to be the consistent case with all your threads, you collapse the text and make it a pretext, and you ignore the use of a word. You ignore what the text teaches while your confirmational bias steers you in another direction. 

Matthew 5:22-24
22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.23 Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.

Jesus likened anger to murder (per verse 21). Anger can lead to murder for it is the kind of resentment that is present when someone murders someone. It can be hateful unless it is justified, such as righteous anger (being angry about an evil). The word 'raca' was a derogatory term in the Ancient Near East (ANE).

Fifth, so take note of the different meanings for words (or different equivalencies). 'Fool' used in one verse does not always have the same connotation as in other verses. E.g., 1) aphron : senseless, without thought or reason, rash (Luke 11:401 Corinthians 15:36), 2) anoetos  : not understanding, uninformed, unwise (Luke4:25Romans 1:14Galatians 3:1), 3) raca : empty, senseless, empty-headed, a term of reproach (Matthew 5:22).

"In addition, raca at the time was a term of great reproach. Both the definition and the cultural meaning of the word as a slang was designed for vulgar insult."

The third use also expresses a judgment on a person's character, plus filthy language used with anger. Salvation plus judgment on our destinies is something that is reserved for God to decide. The kind of anger expressed is not righteous. As Christians, we are to forgive as we have been forgiven. We are not to judge a person's final destination either. We are to treat others with respect as we have been treated with respect by God. We are not to use filthy language. 

God judges the intent of the heart (our motivation).

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Atheists quoting Bibles are fools
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Human beings are fools off and on.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Atheists quoting Bibles are fools

I think your a little mixed up, Witch. Atheist who know and quote the bible much better that theist show the  theist for what fools they are. 

You still haven't told me where you believe your gods exist, Witch, why are you avoiding that question?
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Atheist pretending to be theist to insult theists are fools and bigots. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
"It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom. The fear of the wicked, it shall come upon him: but the desire of the righteous shall be granted. As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation."

disgusted
disgusted
@mad
dribble, dribble, drrrriiiiibbbble.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0

First, God calls atheist's fools because a finite creature is making a statement that cannot be verified with certainty from a finite mind
And that statement is "god's exist".
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Who spewed that vomit?
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@disgusted
I see you liked the rap.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
As is often the case, you misquote a context and cause a problem where there is none. 

Jesus in Matthew 5:22 does not say he who calls "anyone" a fool is in danger of hellfire. It says he who calls his "brother" a fool is in danger of hellfire. 

Jesus called the Pharisees and others fools. He did not call his brother one. 

Brother in this context has a specific meaning - not a sibling brother - but someone who is a believer. 

Hence, calling an atheist a fool does not invoke the hellfire clause.  

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
the other thing which you did not seem to understand is that Jesus was actually filling out the law of the OT. 

In the OT and during Jesus time, the Pharisees and the people of Israel thought that so far as they did not murder someone - then they had passed the requirements of the law - that somehow they were righteous before God. This is certainly how the Pharisees saw it. 

Yet, Jesus pointed out that this is a very low standard - and that the standard itself was much higher - because calling your brother a fool was the same as murdering someone. Jesus was teaching the difference between the letter of the law and the heart of the law. The Pharisees were black letter lawyers - Jesus said it was the heart of the law - the substance of the law that was where God's standards were at. 

His entire point in this part of the sermon on the mount was to demonstrate that everyone on the planet failed God's standards - and that no one could say - yep, I can check that - I can check that other one. I have done enough to prove I am righteous. Everyone was guilty of breaking the 6th commandment because everyone was angry with someone sometime. 

the next lesson was in relation to adultery. It was not good enough to say - Yes, I have never slept with someone I am not married too - It was even to the point of not looking at some one with lust in your heart. the lesson after that had to do with faithfulness - and divorce - followed by a couple of other lessons all pointing out the same thing - No righteousness - no kingdom. 

Since Jesus was the only person who has never sinned and indeed kept the law perfectly - he is the only one who has the righteousness to enter heaven. Thankfully, however, he promises to share his righteousness with any who will trust in  him. Even you Stephen. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Tradesecret
Brother in this context has a specific meaning - not a sibling brother - but someone who is a believer. 

A believer in what?

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Tradesecret
the other thing which you did not seem to understand is that Jesus was actually filling out the law of the OT. 
PGA and rosends have gone into this 'bigly'.

Stephen
Stephen
As is often the case, you misquote a context

Brother in this context has a specific meaning
 Yes alway the same monotonous boring, nauseating excuse with you lot. It is always some else who doesn't understand the context and alway someone else who takes it all out of context.

not a sibling brother - but someone who is a believer. 

No specific mention of believers or non believers in that verse. So as per usual you are trying to add what simply isn't there. 

Matthew 5:22 King James Version (KJV)
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.