Think Islam is a religion of peace? Think again.

Author: Grugore

Total: 293
Grugore
Debates: 1
Grugore
I hear it all the time. Idiots claiming that Islam is a peaceful religion. Well, I'm here to set the record straight. Read this and learn the truth.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
You know, the most charitable benefit of the doubt type readings of the Koran might give the impression that... sure, uh.. maybe this is a religion of peace...

It becomes a lot harder after you read the hadith.

IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
As if we didn't know it. Islam is a religion of war.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
All religions have been involved in war at one point or another. Muslims just happen to be doing it more now then some other faith. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Orthodox Christians do not believe in holy wars or crusades.

The weapons of our warfare are spiritual, not carnal.

And fyi, the Roman Catholics, who are notorious for this sort of thing... they were killing Orthodox Christians during the crusades. 

And unfortunately, we get blamed for a lot of things the Romans did/do. We don't do inquisitions or any of that heinous business.

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@Grugore
Islam is apparently opposed to nuclear proliferation, so it's got that going for it.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Mopac
EVERY religion has had it's wars. Please quit pretending your faith's history is non existent. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
If equivalently one-sided and bigoted commentary about jews, blacks or Canadians was posted there'd be a ruckus.  Islamophobia has become a socially acceptable form of xenophobia.  I can say 'muslims are murderous cretins' without risk of a ban, but if i said it about jews or black stat would be a different matter.   Of course I don't mean any criticis of jews or blacks by that... i am pointing out the normalisation of islamophobia.

The problem is that we in the west are woefully ignorant of Islam so the egregious bias of writers such as Richardson and his hero bill warner are not as obvious as it would be if they were misrepresenting more familiar stuff. 

So if you do read the linked pdf, remember it is written by a hostile witness who wants to inflame and spread anti-isamic feelngs, not give a sober overview of Islam as it is practiced by a billion non-terrorists in a wide variety of cultures across the world.   But if all you want is to have your semi-informed prejudice about Islam confirmed it's probably perfect.

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@keithprosser
I have never found evidence that the terrorists lead astray in the west by political organizations are Muhammadans.

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@keithprosser
I have heard Bill Warner before, the person whom this author respects.  He contends from what I understand, that Islam is bipolar in nature as it interacts with Judeo-Christian civilization.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Orthodox history is full of people killing us for our beliefs. Jews, Romans, Muslims, Latins, Turks, Communists, etc.

Killing people for their beliefs is fundamentally anti-Christian. We believe in loving people, not coercing people through violence.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Mopac
Again if you want to lie about your religions past it reflects on you. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Orthodox history is full of people killing us for our beliefs. Jews, Romans, Muslims, Latins, Turks, Communists, etc.
I know how they felt -  it's the only way to stop you lot parotting on about 'ultimate realities' all day.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
You know, the most charitable benefit of the doubt type readings of the Koran might give the impression that... sure, uh.. maybe this is a religion of peace...It becomes a lot harder after you read the hadith.

But how well would anyone understand christianity from an unguided reading of the bible?

32When the Israelites were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the sabbath day. 33Those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses, Aaron, and to the whole congregation. 34They put him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. 35Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him outside the camp.” 36The whole congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death, just as the Lord had commanded Moses.

I wouldn't blame anyone who concluded it must be a barbarous religion that kills someone merely for gathering firewood on the wrong day.  Of course that passage 'is not what Christianity is about' - i'm not saying it is.  I'm saying that its not hard to misrepresent a religion without actually misquoting anything or obvious lies. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I suspect its a misinterpretation. 
The Israelites said something about a bloke in the bush with a faggot. 

To Homophobic for their own good this lot.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
@Grugore 

Indeed all faith based beliefs can be used to justify inhumane actions.
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@secularmerlin
I can't tell what you are trying to say here.  
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Plisken
All faith based beliefs can be dangerous. All of them. There is no religion of peace any more than there is a political system of peace.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
I've long suspected that the anti-gay stuff has something to do with the elite wanting the masses to have lots of babies so they have plenty of labourers for their field and soldiers for their wars.  
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@secularmerlin
Do you mean blind faith?  What do you mean by peace?  Have you ever heard of pacivism? 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Plisken
Faith as in any faith. Religion of peace in this context would seem to mean unable to promote violence.

It is however Grugore's thread perhaps I misunderstood him.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
I studied Islam with the intent of maybe becoming a Muslim. I read the Koran in its entirety half a dozen times, and was actually being guided by commentaries and such which tried to convince me that all this really horrific sounding stuff was very contextual. I was able to give it the benefit of the doubt. I thought, ok, maybe this could be a religion of peace.

Then, like I said, I read the hadith, and it all of a sudden became a lot harder to give that benefit of the doubt.

Now, even if you were to give it that credit, Islam is utterly incompatable with western society, which is decadent, pagan, and abominably offensive to the Islamic mindset. It is very hard to detach Islam from government.

I have friends who are Muslim, they are nice enough.

I am not a Muslim, and I treat Muslims with love and respect. I believe my religion is superior.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I believe what I am saying, and there is nothing Christian about killing people for their beliefs. 

You need to understand something. We are not Roman Catholics. The Roman Catholic church broke away from us because The Pope thinks he is the king of all Christians, and really, probably the world. They were excommunicated. They even persecuted us Orthodox. They give Christians a bad name. And so do the hundreds of churches that broke away from them.

So you are very mistaken.

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@keithprosser
I've long suspected that the anti-gay stuff has something to do with the elite wanting the masses to have lots of babies so they have plenty of labourers for their field and soldiers for their wars.   

All sex outside of marriage is sinful.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Plisken

All Sex outside of marriage is sinful.
It ensures that most babies have two parents looking after them.  Monogamy (or near monogamy) ensures that a few dominant males do not monopolise the females which would result in a lot of jealous and frustrated males destabilising society.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Marriage has and always will be about property and heirs 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Plisken
There you see. Faith based beliefs can be used to harm others. (In this case harming the self esteem of individuals who are only fulfilling their primary biological function).

Mopac
Mopac
Such negative attitudes towards marriage. Why so cynical?

Meanwhile, the orphans keep multiplying. It's like, hey, lets sculpt our entire worldview around how to better destroy society.

Blindness. I don't get it.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
I am glad you made a serious effort to study islam.  My point is that it's not hard to do a hatchet job if that is what you set out to do, and a brief scan indicates that th document linked in the op is a hatchet job.  Islam makes it easier because it is specific,especially in the hahith.

For example, there is a notorious hadith that allows a husband to beat his wife.  How babaric!  But in the context of a patriachal and misogyistc society it imposed a strict limit on domestic violence over a thousand years ago.  In contrast the right of a husband to rape his wife was in British law untll 1991. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marital_rape#History

It is actually very hard to locate fair and objective material on islam, or indeed any religion.  Everything seems to be written by partisans of one side or the other.   i suppose that is inevitable - partisans and fanatics are more motivated to write stuff than moderates and neutrals are.  All one can do is read as widely as possible and remember most sources are biased.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Plisken

Its interesting that about 75% of Americans identify as Christians, very close to the 80% of all Americans who have sex outside of marriage.

Those Christians just can't seem to keep it in their pants no matter how much it offends their God.