Time dilation

Author: Logical-Master

Total: 16
Logical-Master
Debates: 6
Logical-Master
Didn't really gain an appreciation of this concept until I was reading an article last night regarding an astronaut who lived in space for a year, came back to earth and was suddenly a hundredth of a second younger than his identical twin brother. Fascinated the hell out of me. Could someone explain this concept to me in simple terms?  Stuff like a human being able travel the entire unobservable universe in a human lifetime fascinates the hell out of me!
mustardness
Debates: 0
mustardness
-->
@Logical-Master
Astronauts also loos bone density and that is why we have seen some cosmonauts being carried away from capsule on a stretcher as there bones would not easily support their weight on Earth.

What exactly is dialating?  Is it Observed Time { /\/\/ }  or is the gravitational ( ) space{ attractive/contractive } associated with observed TIme { /\/\ } that is alledged to be expanding via dark energy )( Space { repulsive }

( ) = postive shaped gravitational ( ) Space --geometry is my speculations but there is much associated info---

)( = negative shaped dark energy Space  ---geometry is my speculations but since the opposite of gravity I presume the opposite geometric association.

See torus for contiguous positive ( ) and negative  )( geodesic curvature with a flat point of transistion between those two
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Logical-Master
That's a tall order. You may want to familiarize yourself with a few concepts first.

Frames of reference
Gravity and acceleration and how they are indistinguishable from one another
Speed of light

You can also have a look at how GPS works as it has to take into consideration both velocity based and gravitational time dilation.

Once you get a handle on these, you'll be able to better understand the explanations.

mustardness
mustardness
What exactly is dialating?  Is it Observed Time { /\/\/ }  or is the gravitational ( ) space{ attractive/contractive } associated with observed TIme { /\/\ } that is alledged to be expanding via dark energy )( Space { repulsive }
Or is it both Space (  )(  ) and time /\/\/.  As the geodesics expand contract then the radii distances from peak inversions (>< )(><) must also expand or contract?

Typically we see that as increase of amplituted when the troughs v and peaks ^ are higher and lower, however, we may need to consider their relative distance to the geodesic curvature.

9 days later

Castin
Castin
-->
@Logical-Master
To my understanding, what affects how a human observer experiences time is:

1. Mass.
  2. Speed.
1 - Objects of enough mass create gravity. The closer you are to a source of gravity like our Earth, the more time slows down; the further you are, the more it speeds up.

2 - The greater your velocity, the more time slows down.

The space station our astronaut spent his time in was accelerating at over 17,000 miles per hour. Yes, 17,000. It's kept at that speed to make sure docking is as terrifying as possible for new astronauts.

I kid -- it's going as fast as it has to. So if he spent over a year in space constantly accelerating at 17,000 miles per hour, time would have slowed down for him by a tiny amount. Being farther from Earth's center of gravity than us, he was actually subject to a tiny speeding up effect as well, but presumably his acceleration was so great it easily overcame this.

Castin
Castin
And how fast an object accelerates affects how much time slows down. If you went close to the speed of light, time would all but stop for you, relative to everyone else. How much mass an object has also affects how much time slows down.

If you teleported me to the edge of a black hole, an object of such intense gravity that not even light can escape, to distant onlookers I would be stuck there, falling, freeze frame, forever -- my family would age and die watching me there, my family's next generation would age and die watching me there, and on and on through the generations until I became unrecognizable to modernity, and then until the human race itself faded from existence entirely. From my perspective, no time would have passed whatsoever.

Of course, that doesn't explain why acceleration and mass affect time. And the noble question of science is Why? Why? Why thingy do that thingy? (The title of one of Einstein's lesser known papers. Why Thingy Do That Thingy? by Albert Einstein. Such a great mind.) But my posts are already too long to go delving into spacetime and whatnot.

#NotAPhysicist
keithprosser
keithprosser
Of course, that doesn't explain why acceleration and mass affect time.
it's to do with our intuition that space and time are different and independent, ie that there is 'time' and there is 'space'.    Einstein, Minowsky et al taugt us that there is only one thing - 'spacetime'.

When we are 'standing still' we are still moving in 'spacetime' - imagine it like being carried along on a moving walkway in an airport.  But because it's an analogy and not an airport walkway you can't walk along it!   But you can move from side to side(imagine it's a VERY WiDE airport walkway!).

If you did walk across from oneside of the walkway to the other your actual motion would be at an angle to the direction of the walkway.   You could use pythagoras to work out how far and how fast you actually moved due to the combination of your walking and the walkway moving.  Obviously your actual speed (ie distance moved divided by time) would be a little higher than your walkling speed.

UNLESS YOU ARE A RAY OF LIGHT!   Light has to go at the speed of light - it's the law!  So there is a seeming paradox - a light beam shone from one side of moving walkway to the other 'has to' go faster than light and can't go faster than light!

The resolution of the paradox is that time runs more slowly for moving objjects - the faster something is moving the slower time time goes.

I leave further explanation to resources that support diagrams!

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@keithprosser
The resolution of the paradox is that time runs more slowly for moving objjects - the faster something is moving the slower time time goes.
I.e riding on EMRadiation wave ---670,616,629 miles per hour--- is non-experiential-time.  

If non-epxeriential-time and experience is based on sensoral events related to brain, then brain needs a frame-of-reference.

Miles-per-hour, feet-per-hour, inches-per-hour, meter-per-hour etc

Space = miles-lliometer, feet-meter, inches-centimeter-------Cosmic Geodesic Space ( )( )

Time =  hour, 30 minutes, minute, second ---Observed Time /\/\/\/

I leave further explanation to resources that support diagrams!

How do we diagram a speed that remains constant relative { frames-of-reference } observers of the Spactial event PING!

10 mph * *---><(~)(~)(~)EMRadiation(~)(~)(~)(~)(((source)))(~)(~ )(~ )EMRadiation(~)(~)(~)(~)><----- * * 100 mph

.....huh * * <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~observation-constant-observation~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>* * huh?
.....................................................................................................................................................................

********* WOW! >>>>>>>> entropy >>>>>>>>> arrow-of-time >>>>>>>>> entropy >>>>>> WOW! ***********

..........PAST <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< OUT ( * i  * ) IN <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Future

memory ><><><><>> synergetic <<><><><>< entropic <><><><><> synergetic <><><><><>< memory
Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
Had it all typed up. Too long. High risk of tl;dr.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
Interesting you went for acceleration and gravity; that's general relativity.  GR is hard!   Time dilation only needs special relativity.

But mostly it needs diagrams!   (or at least a way to write hand gestures)
mustardness
mustardness
Riding on an EMRadiation wave ---670,616,629 miles per hour--- is non-experiential-time.
........Einteins thought epxeriement ---------------------------*

If non-experiential-time and observed-time-experience is based on sensoral events related to brain, then brain needs a frame-of-reference.

Miles-per-hour, feet-per-hour, inches-per-hour, meter-per-hour etc

Space = miles-kilometer, feet-meter, inches-centimeter-------Cosmic Geodesic Space ( )( )

Time{ t } =  hour, 30 minutes, minute, second ---Observed Time{ t } /\/\/\/

Synergy = (>*<)  (>*<) resultant complex consciousness (  ) Space * t * Space )(
......................................................................................................................................................

How do we diagram a speed that remains constant relative { frames-of-reference } observers between spatial  events PING! BANG!

10 mph * t *---><(~)(~)(~)EMRadiation(~)(~)(~)(~)(((source)))(~)(~ )(~ )EMRadiation(~)(~)(~)(~)><----- * t * 100 mph

.....huh * t * <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~observation-constant-observation~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>* t * huh?
.....................................................................................................................................................................

********* WOW! >>>>>>>> entropy >>>>>>>>> arrow-of-time >>>>>>>>> entropy >>>>>> WOW! ***********

..........PAST <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< OUT ( * i  * ) IN <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Future

..........PAST <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< OUT ( t  * ) IN <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Future

memory ><><><><>> syntropic<<><><><>< entropic <><><><><> syntropic<><><><><>< memory

.......................................................................pee here now.........................................................................

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Logical-Master
.......................................................................pee here now.........................................................................

.................................................."we cannot return to the womb"...B Fuller........................................................

As SPEED increases  ______................------------->>>>>>>******************* 670,616,629 miles per hour

H,mmm the angle/gap increases between the two lines { above and below } of reference, tho I did not intend that

Time dilates/retarded **********>>>>>>>-------------................._____________extended/stretched gap of time

********* {BB?} WOW! >>>>>>>> entropy >>>>>>>>> arrow-of-time >>>>>>>>> entropy >>>>>> {BB? }WOW! ***********

..........PAST <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< OUTgoing < ( * i  * ) < INcoming <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Future

..........PAST <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< OUT ( t  * ) IN <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Future

memory ><><><><>> syntropic<<><><><>< entropic <><><><><> syntropic<><><><><>< memory

Interestingly enough Ive never explored a cosmic relationship to this specific number 670,616,629 miles per hour

It is and easy number to work with if we increase hours to 24 hours{ day } week, month, year but none of those are truly a cosmic reference.

670,616,629 / 24 = 27,942,359.5416 66 66 66 66666666666667

670, 616, 629 / 8,640 = 77,617.66 53 93 51 85 18 51 85 18 51 85 18519

So that 360 days{ one year } of 24 hours { day-night } = 8,640

Again this just relates to our sun Sol, and 4 seasons, not a  more cosmic reference number to begin with.

13 days later

linate
linate
the basics of time dilation and the relativity of light can be deduced from a thought experiment. if you are moving on a train and turn on a flashlight to a mirror and the light reflects up, it will cause a V shape to an observer off the train while being just up and down to the person on the train. the key is that light travels at the speed of light for both the person on the train and the obverver, even though for the observer light has a longer distance to travel.  to deduce time dilation you just factor in time to the equation as it would pass differently for each frame of reference. 

46 days later

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@keithprosser
When we are 'standing still' we are still moving in 'spacetime' - imagine it like being carried along on a moving walkway in an airport.  ....
Aka a trajectory. A geodesic.

Gravitational geodesic (  )

Dark Energy geodesic )(

Straight lines do not exist except as a metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concept.

All occupied space lines-of-relationship are geodesic trajectories.

Our retina expand-contracts in response to visible light.

Gravitational Spac (  ) and Dark Energy  Space )( expand-contract in response to speed.

22 days later

Titanium
Debates: 2
Titanium
-->
@Logical-Master
I know it's a common perceived experience for those under the influence of cannabis.  Beyond that I'll need to google it myself.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Titanium
I know it's a common perceived experience for those under the influence of cannabis.
Mild hallucinate that gives appearance of suspending time because individual is more sensitive to additional states of awareness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...."The universe has not expanded from any one spot since the Big Bang — rather, space itself has been stretching, and carrying matter with it.

....See LINK Since the universe by its definition encompasses all of space and time as we know it, NASA says it is beyond the model of the Big Bang to say what the universe is expanding into or what gave rise to the Big Bang. Although there are models that speculate about these questions, none of them have made realistically testable predictions as of yet."......

Whereas they say "space" is stretching the do not state the essence or medium, or fabric, or substance of this "space". A rubber band expands contracts. Steel expands contracts.

Where they lack clarity in there description of Space,  I add  specificity  by making the distinction of  four specific kinds of SPACE in my above Cosmic Trinity.

Macro-infinite non-occupied SPACE, that, embraces//surrounds

Gravity ( ) Space  ---positive shaped--

Observed Time Space --sine-wave associated /\/\/ or as ^v^v

Dark Energy )( Space --negative shaped--

In the past when they say space-time they Ive clarfied that as occupied Space via Gravity (  ) Dark Energy )( and Observed Time ^v^v ergo;

SPACE (^v^v)(v^v^)SPACE