On mental health

Author: Tejretics

Total: 69
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Goldtop
Physics doesn't contradict god, Einstein was completely a believer in a creator-deity.
KingLaddy01
Debates: 0
KingLaddy01
Is that how you view it, RM? Anyone who annihilates you is some "demigod"? 

Btw, I am not a physics major and I can see that it is a very easy question.

Castin
Castin
-->
@Raltar
The problem, as described by other members (and agreed to myself) is that a lot of the same drama which caused DDO to collapse was effectively imported to this website when a large volume of former DDO users came here (and some of them became moderators). "The Community" is composed of mostly people who see this as the place to chit-chat with other former DDO users, but aren't actually here for any interest in serious debates.
How can more serious debate activity be encouraged, without limiting forum activity? 

DDO also suffered pretty badly from dwindling formal debate activity.

Goldtop
Goldtop
Physics doesn't contradict god, Einstein was completely a believer in a creator-deity.
You've brought up Einstein a couple of times in some vain attempt to compare yourself, yet one of Einsteins greatest achievements, that of helping us understand how gravity works is something you deny even exists as a phenomenon.

And you call yourself a genius.

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Goldtop
Einstein did no such thing. He was absolutely perplexed that at the quantum level all of Newton's theories did not seem to apply.
KingLaddy01
KingLaddy01
The answer is gravity btw.

KingLaddy01
KingLaddy01
RM you are slacking off on your path to publishing the greatest book of all time. Hasten, you!
Goldtop
Goldtop
Einstein did no such thing. He was absolutely perplexed that at the quantum level all of Newton's theories did not seem to apply.
Oh yes, Einstein did not deliver to us General Relativity and that this theory certainly was not confirmed to incredible accuracy through experimentation.

Tell us more of your delusions so that sane people never sign up here.
Raltar
Debates: 4
Raltar
DDO also suffered pretty badly from dwindling formal debate activity.
Acknowledged and agreed. That the same community migrated here is the reason why the issue carried over.

How can more serious debate activity be encouraged, without limiting forum activity?
Well, first off, what makes you think the two things are connected? The majority of people who are serious about debating ignore the forums and vice versa. So making changes to one element of the site should leave the other element largely unaffected, and the users who interact with those sections would likely be none the wiser about changes to the other. 

As for what can be done, I believe we have been over that elsewhere, but I'll give you a short list. 

1. Better moderation of comments, votes and the debates themselves. We already know (and moderation largely admits) that moderators are not keeping up with all the votes that get reported. Virtuoso is the only person I've seen recently actually address reported votes, and he has to abstain from dealing with reported votes on his own debates, so those go unmoderated. Neither Tejetrics or bsh1 are doing any moderation on votes right now. Comments are also poorly moderated, I would suspect for similar reasons. 

2. Give users more control over their own content, who can access/interact with it, and what they themselves can do with it (like any other modern website). This includes implementing a better block feature, so that users can more easily block out trolls. Users should also be able to control the comments section of their own debates, in order to squelch any flame wars which break out in the comments. More options on votes, judges and other factors would also be beneficial (the details of which would require a whole other thread to fully discuss). Giving more power to the users means less moderation is needed, thus reducing moderator workload as well as any blame that may be placed on moderators for problems. 

3. Stricter restrictions on "troll debates!" When serious debaters come here and see the first page of debates full of stuff like "The sun is god" and "User-X should kill himself" they quickly assume this place is full of trolls and people looking to take advantage of the ranking system, which it frankly is. Debates which have no legitimate purpose and/or seem designed to unfairly take advantage of the system should be removed.