disgusted
There are no good arguments for atheism
But there are no arguments for theism.
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@secularmerlin
Unfortunately testimony is anecdotal evidence and anecdotal evidence is insufficient to claim knowledge.

Oh really now? but, is that all I provided as a mean to indicate something? or are you just being a smart azz again? This is why I have a hard time communicating with you, I never get the impression you give a shit about what I have said. You can label it whatever you want, but there is more testimonial evidence for the soul than any other one thing. Only a true knuckle head would mock that but oh well, we will all be leaving the body so it doesn't really matter if you believe in it. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@secularmerlin
You have had a near death experience?

I don't have to die to have spiritual encounters, what does this have to do with my cross examination of such accounts? the reason I study them and know they are legit is because of my own experiences, some in which we've already been over. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@secularmerlin
Not to quibble but don't you mean you study the secondhand testimonial/anecdotal evidence provided by those who claim to have had such an experience?

Call it what it is, first hand testimonial evidence, which is the most straight forward kind. Down play it all you like but again, you are free to ignore it but that won't make the reality of it go away. So quibble on all ya want. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@EtrnlVw
What evidence have you ever provided for the existence of any spirit/soul that is testable and repeatable in laboratory conditions? I understand that your threshold of credulity is lower than mine but you cannot pretend either that I have not been up front about what I consider sufficient evidence or that you have ever met this standard. Understand that this is not meant as an inflammatory statement of any kind it is simply the truth.
disgusted
disgusted
ET
Hello Napoleon how is your personal experience going?
disgusted
disgusted
ET
The fact that you will be dead when you die will not change no matter how many fairy tales you believe in.
Goldtop
Goldtop
This is why I have a hard time communicating with you, I never get the impression you give a shit about what I have said
Why would anyone, other than a psychiatrist working a case, be interested in your far-fetched delusions of talking with Overlords in another galaxy? Surely, there isn't anyone, other than someone who is insane, who would ever take what you say seriously. Do you not see how crazy your so-called experiences are or are you so far gone that you simply cannot distinguish reality from fantasy?

You can label it whatever you want, but there is more testimonial evidence for the soul than any other one thing.
So what? Testimonial evidence is what other people say, which could be true or not. Of course, when you start talking about Overlords in other galaxies, then your testimonial evidence is only yours and is clearly just crazy talk.

Only a true knuckle head would mock that
Only a crazy person would ever say the things you say.

20 days later

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Atheists believe in nothing, identify as nothing, care about nothing. What is to argue, their whole existence is based on not being something. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
@Polytheist-Witch

My claim is closer to none of us knows anything. Atheist or theist not knowing most things is one thing we all have in common.
SamStevens
SamStevens
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Atheists believe in nothing, identify as nothing, care about nothing. What is to argue, their whole existence is based on not being something. 

One can lack a belief in god(s) or disbelieve in god(s) while still caring about stuff and identifying as something. 

Theists want to say X, Y, and Z is true when they have no evidence to back it up... so yeah, I will not believe what you claim about the universe while still caring about stuff. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@SamStevens
I don't give a shit what you do or don't do. 
WyseGui
WyseGui
How do you prove a negative? Seems like an exercise in futility.
SamStevens
SamStevens
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
well, you clearly care enough to provide us all your misinformed idea of what being an atheist entails. 
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@WyseGui
I can prove that a square isn't a triangle or that there isn't a one square-mile building in my front pocket.
WyseGui
WyseGui
-->
@Fallaneze
That first one was not a negative claim. I suppose the second is but It can be verified just by looking in your pocket. A negative claim would be "God does not exist". I am asserting something does not exist.There is no way to prove that. Besides the initial claim is that God exists not that he does not. That is what we need to prove.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@WyseGui
Have you changed your views on whether it's futile to prove a negative?

It depends on what you mean by "prove." You can "prove" something scientifically. You can "prove" something mathematically. You can "prove" something in court based on the preponderance of evidence. None of these things are the same.

WyseGui
WyseGui
-->
@Fallaneze
No not yet. You would never have to prove a building isn't in your pocket because everyone understands physics and how that wouldn't be possible. So it depends on the context. In the context of this thread, I would say it is futile. Proving something doesn't exist is pointless because we don't know what it means to not exist.

I don't think they are different. I mean you are basically providing evidence to support your claim. If the evidence is sound, you will have logically proven it. I should have said, provide evidence and not prove. But I do understand what you are saying. I'm sure there is an example out there that'd shows proving a negative not being futile.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@secularmerlin
Skepticism is the default position
A position is contingent upon relativity.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
A position is contingent on your axioms nothing more.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@secularmerlin
That's just absurd, don't you think?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
If there is a specific problem with my argument please point it out.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Outplayz
but i am almost certain something is going on that we can attribute to spirituality. 
I think you have little idea of what spirit is exactly. Whereas Ive laid it out clearly for some years now

The Cosmic Trinity and its subset of trinities

1 } spirit-1{ spirit-of-intent } aka metaphysical-1mind/intellect/concept with a resultant ego{ i }. Ex concepts of Space, God,Universe, Spirit, Ego Toyota's etc.

.....1a} absolute truth --ergo cosmic--

.....1b} relative truth --ergo local special-case--

.....1c} lies//falsehoods

3 } God//Universe as occupied space Universe aka Uni-V-erseas follows;

.....3a} spirit-2, observed Time aka reality/energy viafermions, bosons ---and possibly a new 3rd  hybrid catagory-- or any aggregate collection thereof. Ex atoms,molecules, biologicals, planets, clusters of galaxies etc,

.....3b} spirit-3, metaphysical-3 Gravity ( ) as positiveshaped geodesic curvature of occupied Space,

.....3c} spirit-4, metaphysical-4, Dark energy )( asnegative shaped geodesic curvature of occupied Space.

Please come back and talk to me,  if you want to have  a rational, logical common sense discussion and  not irrational, illogical and lack of common sense, philosophical mind games.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@mustardness
I've told you my reasons in another thread. You are welcome to critique them. I have no idea, nor do i remember what this thread was about. If you are saying i'm defining it incorrectly, i would say not really. I'm defining spirit exactly as you are in your first example but i am asserting it is transcendent. I laid out my reasons as clearly as i could in another thread. Again, i have no problem in ignoring your responses if you are going to act like i'm a child. But i truly would like to have a conversation... if you are incapable of having a conversation, don't be surprised i don't answer. 
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Outplayz
but i am almost certain something is going on that we can attribute to spirituality
The above are your comments, that I addressed #175, so you can play your own childish mind games of "dont remmember what this thread is about"  and address what I stated, or not.

Ignoring truth only shines light onto the resistance to truth by the others ego. Your fine with ignoring those truths.  Ego is hard thing to overcome and while forgiveness of God//Universe is instantaneous, forgiveness by humans takes time. I hopefully have a few years left.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think you have little idea of what spirit is exactly. Whereas Ive laid it out clearly for some years now

1 } spirit-1{ spirit-of-intent } aka metaphysical-1mind/intellect/concept with a resultant ego{ i }. Ex concepts of Space, God,Universe, Spirit, Ego Toyota's etc.

.....3a} spirit-2, observed Time aka reality/energy viafermions, bosons ---and possibly a new 3rd  hybrid catagory-- or any aggregate collection thereof. Ex atoms,molecules, biologicals, planets, clusters of galaxies etc,

.....3b} spirit-3, metaphysical-3 Gravity ( ) as positiveshaped geodesic curvature of occupied Space,

.....3c} spirit-4, metaphysical-4, Dark energy )( asnegative shaped geodesic curvature of occupied Space.

Please come back and talk to me,  if you want to have  a rational, logical common sense discussion and  not irrational, illogical and lack of common sense, philosophical mind games.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@mustardness
Tell me what you believe in a paragraph without bullet points and character signs and i will respond accordingly. I've already gone down the route of understanding what you mean in your "cosmic trinity" ... but it says nothing about your belief, at least clearly enough. I don't feel like going through your CT meanings again. Just simply tell me what you believe in paragraphs so i can understand where you are coming from and i'll respond accordingly. It's a simple question... do humans transcend death? If so, in what way? If the answer to the first question is no... just say so. I respectively disagree that's the only possibility. I don't mind giving my reasons again... but, first i need to know where you are coming from.  
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Outplayz
Tell me what you believe in a paragraph without bullet points and character signs and i will respond accordingly.
Ive told you plenty what I believe { "where Im coming from" } and I havent conversed with you in year or more, if only once in that time.

An outline format is found at the beginning in any good educational book. Get on board on move on elsewhere cause my Cosmic Trinity that specifically defines and leads to many detailed descriptions of four distinct and fundemental kinds of spirit.
..."Table of Contents: This page or pages outline what is included in each chapter of the book...."

1} place your ego to the side and,

2} ..."The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education....A Einstein" ie. place all of your education to the side so you can be an open vessel to that which have not truly opened you mind and soul to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~