- Win ratio
- Debate votes
- Debate comments
- Forum topics
- Forum posts
- Native language
- High school
- Life's priority
- Political ideology
The name's Nyx, but you can call me Valerie. My best recent senior debate tournament results have been a team rank of 3rd with a speaker rank of 2nd across 5 provinces and 48 teams (96 speakers) and a team rank of 10th with a speaker rank of 20th across the Great Lakes region and 100 teams (200 speakers).
I'm a grade 12 student (starting Sept. 2021) from Ontario, Canada, a trans lesbian, a writer of about 7 years now through various forms, and a fairly avid debater, having done it for all of highschool. I hope to make people smile and become the best I can be.
I stream most days of the week at https://www.twitch.tv/Nyxified. I'm known for my chaotic humour and just chatting skits. I also have a rating in chess that equates to roughly 1600 FIDE MMR/1500 chess.com/1800 lichess.
- You should generally seek sources for the claims you make if they aren't common sense and your opponent is likely to disagree. If you can't find one, you should reconsider your claims.
- Social democracy is the most effective system at improving and maintaining the quality of life of a nation's citizenry (and that should be the primary desire of a nation)
- Upholding individualism is a moral imperative for the sake of self determination, preservation of individual freedoms, and keeping governments honest/accountable.
- The vast majority of those who identify as 'anti-SJW' or unironically use the term 'woke police' to insult others are people who don't want to change their habits and don't want to be held accountable either. Respectfully informing people not to say slurs or offensive comments about groups you are apart of is not only reasonable and often morally necessary, but furthermore it is ridiculous to claim otherwise.
- The police, prison, and judiciary are in desperate need of reform. So are school systems.
- Just because you believe something is against your religion doesn't mean you should force society to bend to those beliefs (ex: abortion) (excluding what is necessary to ensure the right to practice your religion [ex: the right to wear a hijab]).
- The worst tragedy for the 2SLGBTQQIAPN+ community was cis, straight people convincing us that we were our own worst enemy. Also, the q slur isn't a slur, but people should have the right to not be called it or to not have to hear it.
- You can be transgender without dysphoria. Detransition rates are incredibly low. Transition satisfaction rates are incredibly high. Hormones and transition surgery work, are safe, and are effective. It is possible for an individual to fully become a sex that differs from the one assigned at birth. This in no way negates the existence of sex-based issues and challenges, and they deserve to be addressed. 90% of things that decrease access to transition care to 'protect' trans people don't protect trans people, they just hurt them.
- You can not believe in any argument that involves 'think about the children' if you don't give the slightest shit about expanding access to education and social programs and immediately stop caring about children the moment they become adults.
- Most people who believe in conspiracy theories want nothing more than the ability to believe they're onto something and are superior to other people. No amount of discussion will solve the emphasis of their own need to be right all the time over actual fact.