Total: 4
WyIted
Debates: 11
WyIted
Me and Greyparrot have started a book club. He suggested the first book. I get the second book and whoever is 3rd gets to pick 3rd if they participate. 

This is the book we are on:

Thomas Sowell. Dismantling America

A few rules about book selection.  

1. Don't be a smart ass
2. If you don't participate I'm discussions then we will skip your book selection
3. The book must be available for free on youtube

WyIted
Debates: 11
WyIted
-->
@Greyparrot
I am an hour in BTW, and he is now saying that governments who bail out banks should not be able to dictate how those banks spend the money.

I agree with most of what he says but this is the one area where all I can think of is fuckem they can refuse the money if they don't like being told what to do. 

I agree with Sowell that not being controlled by the government in how to spend the bail out money would be more profitable to the bank and a better result to th tax payer, but all I can think of is fuck them for Taki g the money and let them fail or be your bitch if they take it. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@WyIted
His point about the bailouts is that the government has no clue on how to manage investments.(he talks a ton about this with Barney Frank later on)
If the government wants to give back some of the confiscated taxes, then do that. Sowell is saying the government is using the bailouts as an  excuse to inject bad policies that put government officials in charge of the economy instead of private investors. If they feel the private banks need regulations, then the private banks that failed shouldn't be bailed out in the first place. When you subsidize bad behavior, you are asking the private banks to forget about sound investments, and instead just do what the government says because they will reward you for doing that.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
I don't like Sowell's take on the Patriot Act at 1:35 

He vastly underestimated how the government would start calling their political enemies "domestic terrorists"