NBA League Leaders

Author: Tarik

Total: 9
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
Just recently, LeBron James reached a huge career milestone scoring 40000 points, congratulations to him but I can’t help but wonder why total stats aren’t celebrated more. The scoring, assist, rebound, steal, and block titles are all based on averages not totals. Should the league base averages on all 82 games as opposed to just the games the players play?
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@Tarik
A factor in LeBron's records is his longevity. I think using averages would put things more in perspective.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Mharman
A factor in LeBron's records is his longevity. I think using averages would put things more in perspective.
But under the current system averages doesn’t favor longevity, a player that averages 29.9 in all 82 games can still lose the scoring title to another player that averages 30 in 58, unless you give a zero statline for missed games.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Tarik
I don't care much for longevity after a certain point.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Mharman
I don't care much for longevity after a certain point.
What point is that?
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Tarik
bout 10yrs... past that I wanna see how many titles you've got, and your average stats, as well as the context behind them..

Side note, MJ is still the GOAT.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Mharman
bout 10yrs... past that I wanna see how many titles you've got, and your average stats, as well as the context behind them..

Side note, MJ is still the GOAT.
Well totals provides more context (in a seasonal sense) did you know that MJ would have 11 scoring titles instead of 10 if it were determined by total points?
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Tarik
Career totals in other categories are still celebrated, it's just that points gets the highest recognition because it's the single category most indicative of a great player.

When considering who the all time greats are. Averages are a better metric in many ways but the longevity aspect is crucial as well. Anyone can have a great game and some could have a great season. Doing it year in and year out leaves no doubt at to ones pure abilities, and perhaps more importantly the human body can only retain so much of it's abilities as one ages, so for LeBron to still be doing what he is doing at the age of 40 speaks volumes to how good he truly was in his late 20's. You cannot get to 40k without being an unquestionable legend.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Double_R
Averages are a better metric in many ways but the longevity aspect is crucial as well.
Then what is your preference for seasonal awards such as stat titles, totals or averages?