Eating the Red Berries

Author: RaymondSheen

Total: 8
RaymondSheen
Debates: 0
RaymondSheen
Forget the red pill. Eat the red berries. Do y'all (Brits) get House, M.D. across the pond, as they say. You know, Hugh Laurie speaking 'merican. 

JoeBob
Debates: 2
JoeBob
-->
@RaymondSheen
House MD seems like a good show. Too bad it isn’t on any streaming service I have that I know of.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@JoeBob
Are you morally against using VPN to access it on a paid streaming service you genuinely have paid access to?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@RaymondSheen
Not my sort of thing.

Preferred him in Blackadder.
RaymondSheen
Debates: 0
RaymondSheen
-->
@zedvictor4
I had a friend who was crazy about Blackadder and tried to get me into it, but it just never took with me. I could get into it, I think, but just have never got the chance other than a brief glance at his place. I remember Laurie, French and Saunders on The Young Ones back in the 80s when MTV regularly ran it. The aforementioned friend gave me the Young Ones box set DVD. 
JoeBob
Debates: 2
JoeBob
-->
@RationalMadman
Well I don’t have a VPN soooo
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@JoeBob
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@RaymondSheen
The House series is definitely more popular in US than in UK and it's not just availability.

The privatised concept of healthcare in US doesn't make much sense for the UK soap opera hospital drama scene (which has at least 2 significant huuuuge series that aren't well known outside UK but are known of, not known but known of, in Europe depending how near to the UK the country is.

Before I say what I am about to say, there is a concept wrongly stated in Google that Soaps Vs Dramas are differed based on sombre time Vs light-hearted tone. This is bullshit. EastEnders is the most popular UK soap and your first Google search will tell you how many tragedies it intentionally covers.

Holby City and Casualty are (were in Holby City's case) Soap Operas big in the UK that inspired the likes of House, with far more drama to them and far less centering around just any one or two characters. This chaotic soap opera style seems to work much better with UK and Europe in general. You will often notice that series for Brits and Europeans alike lack fundamental main characters or if they have them the supporting characters are nearly as significant with nearly as much screen time. This is simply a concept that doesn't work as well for movies and the US is or was a more movie-centric showbusiness place whereas for UK and Europe Theatre evolved more into Series than Movies, with epics like Doctor Who seemingly always able able to dish out a new Season for decades no matter what, if the demand picks up again.