Logical Solutions to Problems

Author: JoeBob

Total: 10
JoeBob
Debates: 2
JoeBob
Give me a problem, dilemma, or question, and I will answer it in what I believe is the most logical answer.

Inspired by Benjamin’s trolley problems thread.
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@JoeBob
Five pirates are figuring out how to divide up a newly plundered treasure of 100 gold coins. From most senior to least senior: Pirate A, Pirate B, Pirate C, Pirate D, and Pirate E. The rules:
  1. The most senior pirate must propose a distribution (for example, giving himself all 100 gold coins and 0 for everyone else), and then all the pirates must vote on it.
  2. If at least half of the pirates vote for a proposal, the proposal is accepted and the gold is split according to that distribution.
  3. Otherwise, if the proposal is rejected, the pirate that proposed it is kicked out, and this process repeats with the remaining pirates.
  4. Each pirate’s main goal is to maximize the gold they receive (but a pirate that is kicked out gets no gold), but are also spiteful enough to prefer kicking out the other pirates, all else equal. The pirates are also distrustful of each other and will not make any side deals, so the distribution of an accepted proposal is final.
What is the greatest number of coins that Pirate A can distribute to himself?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Savant
Based upon those criteria.

Pirate E. if they were savvy,  could end up with the lot.

But this would depend upon the voting methodology.

And of course, whether or not, spiteful pirates are prepared to stick to the rules.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@JoeBob
Three men on a fishing trip had to check into a hotel because of inclement weather.  The hotel has one room left and the bellhop tells them the room is $30 and checks them in, the men give ten dollars each and go to the room.  The manager comes back and tells the bellhop the room is only $25 and send him to give them their $5 back.  Because the men can't evenly divide $5 they each take a dollar and give the bellhop a $2 tip for bringing it.

So...the men paid $10, got a dollar back, so each paid $9.  $9 times 3 is $27, and the bellhop got $2.

$27 plus $2 is $29, but they intially paid $30...where did the other dollar go?
Mall
Debates: 340
Mall
-->
@JoeBob
How do you solve the "race" issue, the system of "racism", the "race" problem?

How you solve all world conflicts to get world peace?

How do you solve the hunger and poverty problem?

How do you solve the abortion problem so that it stays banned?

How do you solve the gender identity crisis problem so that people born physically as they are will identify as that?

I'll stop there because if you are a man, I presume SUPER is not your prefix.

JoeBob
JoeBob
-->
@Savant
Most senior gets 22 gold, then goes down by one per pirate until the least senior gets only 18. 

That is how I’m understanding your problem at least.
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@zedvictor4
@JoeBob
Solution here
JoeBob
JoeBob
-->
@Sidewalker
For starters, there is no missing dollar.

3x10=30
Minus the 5 gives us 25$ which is what they are paying
So then the bellhop goes, and gives them 3 dollars to split, which equals 28. The bellhop keeps 2, which is 30.
JoeBob
JoeBob
How do you solve the "race" issue, the system of "racism", the "race" problem?
I don’t think there is an end all be all solution to racism. There will always be someone who is racist, whether you like it or not.
How you solve all world conflicts to get world peace?
Let time do its work until most of the big opposing countries are either joined, or gone. Then try to unite the rest.
How do you solve the hunger and poverty problem?
Start with making every country use the same currency. Then we can start making apartment buildings or skyscrapers for people to live in. No longer allowed for only one person in a house to maximize space.
How do you solve the abortion problem so that it stays banned?
Make the Supreme Court state that it is banned. I’m not that much into law so I don’t know if there is a better answer.
How do you solve the gender identity crisis problem so that people born physically as they are will identify as that?
Don’t teach them about it, quietly arrest people that are. Make it a publically known law will only make more people want to do it.

Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@JoeBob
For starters, there is no missing dollar.

3x10=30
Minus the 5 gives us 25$ which is what they are paying
So then the bellhop goes, and gives them 3 dollars to split, which equals 28. The bellhop keeps 2, which is 30.
Well done, very few people catch the mistake where I said plus two instead of minus two.