Topic's posts

Posts in total: 19
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 4,967
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin

What do you as a human think of this piece and indeed of the idea of computers producing original music?
  • RationalMadman
    RationalMadman avatar
    Debates: 302
    Forum posts: 8,991
    RationalMadman avatar
    RationalMadman
    --> @secularmerlin
    Forum-point-cheat-farmer exposed:

• Beelzedad
    Beelzedad avatar
    Forum posts: 35
    Beelzedad avatar
    Beelzedad
    --> @secularmerlin
    Using only four notes, the AI is just randomly running up and down the scale created by those notes.
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @Beelzedad
    Well we certainly aren't ready to replace John Williams but do you think a computer will ever compose popular music?
  • Beelzedad
    Beelzedad avatar
    Forum posts: 35
    Beelzedad avatar
    Beelzedad
    --> @secularmerlin
    There are lots of people with drum machines and synths who have no talent but still manage to create "popular" music. All this does is demonstrate there are people with good taste in music, people with bad taste in music and people with no taste in music at all.
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @Beelzedad
    While that is a subjective statement I don't suppose I disagree.
  • TwoMan
    TwoMan avatar
    Forum posts: 309
    TwoMan avatar
    TwoMan
    What do you as a human think of this piece and indeed of the idea of computers producing original music?
    I've heard worse. It seems to work on a rudimentary musical level.

Well we certainly aren't ready to replace John Williams but do you think a computer will ever compose popular music?
    Based on that example, it is obviously possible. Given more notes, chords, instruments, music theory to work with, etc. a computer should be able to come up with something decent. Music is an inherently mathematical form of expression. A computer should be able to exploit that effectively.
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @TwoMan
    Possible surely. Do you think a computer will ever compose music that makes people cry?
  • TwoMan
    TwoMan avatar
    TwoMan avatar
    TwoMan
    I don't know about music alone (I've never heard music without lyrics that made me cry) but I'm sure that a computer could eventually produce music combined with a human lyricist/singer that might do the trick.
    What do you think?
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @TwoMan
    I think you don't listen to enough classical music. That is pure music and can move people to tears. As for the computer making something that sublime we can only guess right now but it does seem to be moving that direction.
  • TwoMan
    TwoMan avatar
    TwoMan avatar
    TwoMan
    --> @secularmerlin
    Just out of curiosity, have you ever been moved to tears listening to classical music? Do you personally know anyone who has? I've gotten goosebumps from listening to classical music but not tears. Listening to sad lyrics can turn on the waterworks though.
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @TwoMan
    Yes I have. That is besides the point hiwever since getting goosebumps will do. Do you think a computer will ever compose music that gives you goose bumps?
  • keithprosser
    keithprosser avatar
    Forum posts: 3,289
    keithprosser avatar
    keithprosser
    --> @secularmerlin
    it is likely that 'goose bump' music tends to have a particular distribution of intervals, discordant harmonies, dynamics and key changes etc.  One can imagine a computer being programmed with such rules and coming up with an effect piece of music, but with no knowledge that it was composing music; that is a parallel to a chess computer that plays at grand-master level but doesn't know it is playing chess.

The other sense of the question is whether a computer can manifest the internal subjective states (emotions?) of a human composer and thus feel the need to express itself through music. 

The difference is the difference between 'Artificial intelligence' and 'Artificial consciousness'.   To achieve the former today would only require a collabortion between an average musicologist and an average computer programmer - we have no idea how to even begin doing the latter.

• secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @keithprosser
    I had not even considered a computer that knows what music is only one that can create it. I don't know if we can make conciousness. I'm not sure what conciousness even is.
  • keithprosser
    keithprosser avatar
    Forum posts: 3,289
    keithprosser avatar
    keithprosser
    --> @secularmerlin
    Neither does anybody else!

• secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @keithprosser
    Well that seems like rather a large stumbling block in the way of creating conciousness. To be honest I'm impressed with the idea of computers producing original music.

766 days later

• Lemming
    Lemming avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 372
    Lemming avatar
    Lemming
    --> @secularmerlin
    First made me think of a phone ad, then some other type of ad.
    Seems like it could be a useful tool, even if currently simple.

• secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @Lemming
    Computers seem to improve exponentially. Perhaps in our lifetime it will be something more than simple.
  • Lemming
    Lemming avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 372
    Lemming avatar
    Lemming
    --> @secularmerlin
    It's rather impressive how much technology and science there is at the moment, more than we know what to do with, or more than we've properly integrated into our current society, I'd say.
    And indeed, it 'does seem to be still building, growing.