Topic's posts

Posts in total: 12
  • Stronn
    Stronn avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 512
    Stronn avatar
    Stronn
    Interestingly, there have been modern-day attempts in Christianity to make God gender neutral. For instance, in the early 1980's the National Council of Churches released a new translation of the Bible that eliminated references to God as solely male. As an example, John 3:16 was changed to read ''For God so loved the world that God gave God's only Child, that whoever believes in that Child should not perish, but have eternal life.''

Is God male? If not, why should our translation of God's Word us the masculine pronoun?

• ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    Debates: 1
    Forum posts: 4,606
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    Reminds me of a cartoon where the birds in an aviary remark about their human feeder, "He must have come from a really big egg!" 

why should our translation of God's Word  the masculine pronoun?
    To save the world from monstrosities like this,

''For God so loved the world that God gave God's only Child, that whoever believes in that Child should not perish, but have eternal life.''
  • Stronn
    Stronn avatar
    Stronn avatar
    Stronn
    --> @ethang5
    If simplicity of grammar is your concern, would you be ok with a translation that uses the feminine pronoun for God?
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @Stronn
    If simplicity of grammar is your concern, would you be ok with a translation that uses the feminine pronoun for God?
    Simplicity of grammar is important, but beauty of grammar, and understandability of grammar are more important. But most important is truth of grammar.

The original script says "he". Translations should be translations, not recreations. I am against any change to Bible text at any time.
  • Polytheist-Witch
    Polytheist-Witch avatar
    Forum posts: 1,932
    Polytheist-Witch avatar
    Polytheist-Witch
    Jesus called him Father. He is called the Father of Israel in the Old Testament. I think there is a duality to God. Father and Holy Spirit. Holy Sprint being feminine. 
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    Forum posts: 4,967
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @Stronn
    I think that the use of the male pronoun says more about the authors of the bible than about Yahweh (should that hypothetical being even exist).

• RationalMadman
    RationalMadman avatar
    Debates: 301
    Forum posts: 8,991
    RationalMadman avatar
    RationalMadman
    God is female but Christianity is only half true so I won't go into it unless you're actually interested in my Pagan take on it.
  • Harikrish
    Harikrish avatar
    Forum posts: 550
    Harikrish avatar
    Harikrish
    --> @Stronn
    Interestingly, there have been modern-day attempts in Christianity to make God gender neutral. For instance, in the early 1980's the National Council of Churches released a new translation of the Bible that eliminated references to God as solely male. As an example, John 3:16 was changed to read ''For God so loved the world that God gave God's only Child, that whoever believes in that Child should not perish, but have eternal life.''

Is God male? If not, why should our translation of God's Word us the masculine pronoun?

The God of the Bible is certainly male. According to Luke 1. The Holy Spirit came on Mary and God had shadow sex ( as in shadow boxing) with Mary and that is how she got pregnant. Remember it takes male and female DNA to produce a child.

Luke 1:34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”

35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[b] the Son of God.”
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @Stronn
    The point of the matter is, will the bible be considered authoritative or not?

At DDO, there was this idiot who would deny the verses that said Jesus was innocent at His trial, but would use the very next verse as proof of some other doctrine. He would stupidly call Jesus a lunatic based on a verse saying that someone called Jesus a lunatic, but would deny the author of the book calling Jesus the Savior of man.

If one believes and employs silliness like that, then God can be any gender as your basic position is irrational anyway. One of the best ways to stay away from stupidity is to leave the text pristine.

• Stronn
    Stronn avatar
    Stronn avatar
    Stronn
    --> @ethang5
    The only way to "leave the text pristine" is to avoid any translation at all. Once you translate, you can't help but introduce numerous subtle changes in nuance and meaning.

From what I understand, in Hebrew all nouns are gendered. If an object has no intrinsic gender, it is typically referred to using the male form. When translating into a language where most nouns are neuter, like English, it is therefore more true to the original text to avoid assigning a gender to God, who has no gender. Or at least that is the argument proponents of a sexless Bible make.

Another interesting point is that, while the Old Testament uses the male form when referring to God, it uses the feminine when referring to the Holy Spirit, or the presence of God.
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @Stronn
    >The only way to "leave the text pristine" is to avoid any translation at all.

Not true. The text is just a vessels for the meaning. Any text carrying the same meaning remains the same.

>Once you translate, you can't help but introduce numerous subtle changes in nuance and meaning.

This is one of the advantages of having a living God. He can affect what happens in the real world.

>From what I understand, in Hebrew all nouns are gendered. If an object has no intrinsic gender, it is typically referred to using the male form. When translating into a language where most nouns are neuter, like English, it is therefore more true to the original text to avoid assigning a gender to God, who has no gender. Or at least that is the argument proponents of a sexless Bible make.

And it would make sense if God were not also referred to as Father.

>Another interesting point is that, while the Old Testament uses the male form when referring to God, it uses the feminine when referring to the Holy Spirit, or the presence of God.

I find these arguments juvenile. Any sensible adult knows gender and sex are traits of God's creation, not God. Questions asking the gender of God invariably are borne of ignorance or guile.

I have time for neither.

• EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw avatar
    Forum posts: 2,261
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw
    --> @Stronn
    God is in fact non-gender, there is no sexual role or anatomy of the Creator. Only when individual souls enter creation, the worlds of duality does any gender play a role or a function in reality. The Bible capitalizes on the masculine nature of God to express attributes not gender IMO. God in the Bible is perceived as protector, leader, head figure, Father, warrior ect ect all the attributes of one who "provides" or covers....and so the masculine expression is pronounced, rather than a more feminine role but again, God is the embodiment and fullness of both expressions and as a matter of fact it's the feminine principle in creation which stabilizes more than the other. Meaning creation is not perfectly in balance with one half or the other, it's slightly driven to one side and so is positive and negative, good and evil, light and darkness.....the positive charge has a slight edge over the negative. Now God in the Bible however is definitely tipped towards the masculine role and which I explained, it's more of an interpretation of the attributes of a God, not really what gender role God would play.