Posts in total: 59
  • Alec
    Alec avatar
    Debates: 42
    Forum posts: 2,474
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    --> @TheRealNihilist
    So if I say, "I want the death penalty for murder and treason" and you have to prove that both of these are a bad idea, would that be a compromise.

New description:

I support the death penalty for murder and treason.  My opponent must be against the death penalty for both of these crimes.

Is this a good description?
  • TheRealNihilist
    TheRealNihilist avatar
    Debates: 44
    Forum posts: 4,909
    TheRealNihilist avatar
    TheRealNihilist
    --> @Alec
    So if I say, "I want the death penalty for murder and treason" and you have to prove that both of these are a bad idea, would that be a compromise.
    No because then I am forced to use those as the talking points for my side instead it can be more general like the one I proposed so that I can choose to defend my position in various of ways.
    Is this a good description?
    I would like it to be more general which doesn't mean you can't use those arguments. It just means I have more to work with for my side instead of being forced to talk about murder and treason. 
  • Alec
    Alec avatar
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    --> @TheRealNihilist
    I would like it to be more general which doesn't mean you can't use those arguments.
    I think you would be strawmanizing me if I were to defend the death penalty for general crimes.  I hope I'm not a straw man.  I don't want to have to argue the death penalty for misdemeanors.

• TheRealNihilist
    TheRealNihilist avatar
    TheRealNihilist avatar
    TheRealNihilist
    --> @Alec
    I think you would be strawmanizing me if I were to defend the death penalty for general crimes.  I hope I'm not a straw man.  I don't want to have to argue the death penalty for misdemeanors.
    How about we agree here or in the debate itself that I don't straw-man you? That way I get the general description and you get me not straw-manning you. Can you also make it 10,000 characters I would be kind of annoyed if run out of characters. Don't think I will but less chance if it was 10,000.

• Alec
    Alec avatar
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    --> @TheRealNihilist
    I can make it 10,000 characters, but I like my new description better.
  • TheRealNihilist
    TheRealNihilist avatar
    TheRealNihilist avatar
    TheRealNihilist
    --> @Alec
    I can make it 10,000 characters, but I like my new description better.
    Alright fine. Am I allowed to rebut in the 1st Round or do I have to wait until the 2nd?

• Alec
    Alec avatar
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    --> @TheRealNihilist
    Updated.
  • TheRealNihilist
    TheRealNihilist avatar
    TheRealNihilist avatar
    TheRealNihilist
    --> @Alec
    Still says this:

"I support the death penalty as punishment in at least one real or hypothetical or real instance. My opponent must be against the death penalty for all conceivable crimes. No new arguments in the final round, but arguments in all other rounds are okay. The BoP is shared."

Characters have changed though.

What you should add:

"I support the death penalty for murder and treason.  My opponent must be against the death penalty for both of these crimes. No new arguments in the final round, but arguments in all others rounds are okay. The BoP is shared"
  • Alec
    Alec avatar
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    --> @TheRealNihilist
    I think it's updated now.