Topic's posts

Posts in total: 11
  • dylancatlow
    dylancatlow avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 91
    dylancatlow avatar
    dylancatlow
    If we're justified in placing restrictions on "hate speech" because of its potential to harm others in society, then why stop there? There is plenty of speech with the potential to harm society. Presumably, advocating on behalf of any harmful policy idea is harmful to society, and shutting down such advocacy would help society reach better outcomes. 
  • TheDredPriateRoberts
    TheDredPriateRoberts avatar
    Forum posts: 3,335
    TheDredPriateRoberts
    --> @dylancatlow
    it's a slippery slope as they say, profanity could be considered hate speech, heck any kind of insult as well, I mean why not?  There's a reason why rights shouldn't be messed with.
  • Dr.Franklin
    Dr.Franklin avatar
    Debates: 32
    Forum posts: 8,190
    Dr.Franklin avatar
    Dr.Franklin
    hate speech isn't real
  • dustryder
    dustryder avatar
    Debates: 5
    Forum posts: 840
    dustryder avatar
    dustryder
    --> @dylancatlow
    There is plenty of speech with the potential to harm society.
    What are examples of such types of speech?

• Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 8,025
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    --> @dustryder
    Any statement with words equating to "free stuff" in it.
  • dylancatlow
    dylancatlow avatar
    dylancatlow avatar
    dylancatlow
    --> @dustryder
    "Presumably, advocating on behalf of any harmful policy idea is harmful to society"
  • TheDredPriateRoberts
    Forum posts: 3,335
    TheDredPriateRoberts
    --> @Greyparrot
    any talk of rights infringement, I hate it, thus hate speech.
  • dustryder
    dustryder avatar
    dustryder avatar
    dustryder
    --> @dylancatlow
    "Presumably, advocating on behalf of any harmful policy idea is harmful to society"
    I was wondering if you had any concrete examples

• dylancatlow
    dylancatlow avatar
    dylancatlow avatar
    dylancatlow
    --> @dustryder
    Well, which policy ideas you consider harmful largely depends on where you stand politically. If you're in favor of restrictions on hate speech, chances are you lean left, in which case you're probably also in favor of e.g., abortion rights. 
  • dustryder
    dustryder avatar
    dustryder avatar
    dustryder
    --> @dylancatlow
    So here's my position then. I can't think of a single reason why hate speech is of value to society. The vast majority of other policies do have some value to some non-significant portion of the populace which should be taken into account regardless of whether opponents consider the policies to be "harmful". Hence the difference between regulating hate speech vs regulating advocacy for policies that you might personally disagree with

• Christen
    Christen avatar
    Forum posts: 332
    Christen avatar
    Christen
    What are examples of such types of speech?
    This forum's Rules and Code of Conduct define hate speech as "Slurs or invective against an entire class of people (such as racist, sexist, homophobic, islamophobic, transphobic, ageist, and ableist slurs, or slurs against religious, political, ethnic, or national groups)"

So, as long as you're not attacking an entire class of people with insults, you aren't committing hate speech.... but then what about Dr.Franklin here saying that "Liberals are Stupid"? Isn't that technically hate speech since a group of people are being insulted? https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/2017/liberals-are-stupid

It's hard to tell. Since he hasn't been punished by the moderators, I guess that they've decided that it isn't hate speech to say that, then? I don't know. I just treat people the way I would want to be treated. I avoid calling people names as much as I can, because I know the pain that arises when it's done to me.