Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the freshman representative from NY more commonly known as the bane of existence to Republican politicians and republican supporters despite the fact that she is essentially irrelevant and holds no actual power, might have just done the exact thing Biden needed to happen that Warren was trying to avoid at all cost: Endorse Sanders and bring new life to his campaign.
Just when it seemed that Warren was finally coalescing the left wing part of the Dem base around her candidacy, AOC as well as other members of 'The Squad', which also consists of freshmen house representatives with no actual power but somehow have influence simply because the right wing vilifies them so much, have thrown their support behind Bernie Sanders in the Dem primary. This is a big development because, despite how little AOC and 'the Squad' matter, they are perhaps the highest profile endorsement that was up for grabs as of right now.
- Barack Obama wont endorse anyone until the general election begins (As he did last time when it was Hillary vs Bernie)
- Hillary herself has remained VERY quiet and almost certainly wont give an endorsement until much later in the nomination race, if she doesnt wait until the general election to endorse someone as well
- Bill Clinton would almost be a liability as an endorsement and because Hillary's endorsement carries more weight he will stay quiet
- Jimmy Carter is basically irrelevant since a good chunk of voters werent even alive when Carter was president
- The far left senators in Congress that hold the most influence are themselves running for president and not available to endorse anyone
There basically was not a high profile endorsement that could be won at this point in the race outside of AOC and members of the Squad, and their endorsement of Sanders is a big deal.
Just about anyone could have figured out that Biden would not have received their endorsement, nor any of the other candidates who poll below 6% apart from maybe Harris (a fellow woman of color), leaving Warren and Sanders as the ones most likely to get their endorsement. Given the fear that left wing voters have that Warren and Sanders splitting the base could hand Biden the nomination, and also the facts that Warren has done better than Sanders for a good chunk of the race now and is even rivaling Biden as the frontrunner, this endorsement for Sanders is a substantial problem for Warren and her camp.... Sanders was on the verge of slipping out of contention since just recently he was at risk of not winning any delegates in 3 of the first 4 primaries (his numbers have since improved, and will continue to do so). With this endorsement though, Bernie has fresh ammunition to argue that he is the flag-bearer of ultra-liberal policies, which will surely lure voters from the Warren camp over to his side.