What motive is there to be good in any religion, other than an evil, self-rewarding one?

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 7
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
This is actually the correct way of wording one of the major themes in the poem that has offended many here, I'd like an answer.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
@A-R-O-S-E
Here is the PC version.
A-R-O-S-E
Debates: 0
A-R-O-S-E
"What motive is there to be good in any religion, other than an evil, self-rewarding one?"

Cool, I can work with this.

I'm christian because I don't think it makes sense that anything exists in the first place so I concede that my universe is absurd and it's okay to accept other absurd things, such as a god. I take christianity as the best option.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@A-R-O-S-E
Would you admit that in your religion, it's actually more selfless to sin with victims. So that you end up suffering for eternity, whereas they are (as victims) more likely to be less bad in the eyes of God and empathise with other victims and therefore end up in heaven?

In other words, it's more selfless to be evil in Christianity because you take the pain, so that your victims get the gain of heaven and being more likely to have motive to be good.
A-R-O-S-E
Debates: 0
A-R-O-S-E
-->
@RationalMadman
I don't think God's sympathy would work like that. I actually have no clue on heaven and hell. I don't understand christian heaven and hell and don't try to anymore. If the christian god exists it doesn't matter because he will do as he does. I believe the christian god exists and if I can't go a lot higher in understanding then I don't. If heaven and hell is built upon believing God exists then H&H can't take down my beliefs because they would be a product and not the base.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@A-R-O-S-E
When you say God, what or who are you referring to. The creator of our reality is in no shape or form more likely to be the Christian God than any other religions' God from a starting point, rather it is by reasoning and analysing reality for ourselves (individually) that we can ever have true faith in which deity with which agenda runs things, would you not agree?

You clearly do, as you already completely disregarded the entire reward vs punishment fundamental concept of your religion. In other words, you are an ex-Christian Pagan, in denial. This is not at all said to troll or offend you, it's expressing what i was saying in the poem. Thinking for yourself and forming your own theories on God and reality, as well as ethics and morality, is entirely Pagan to do. That is how you either end up atheist, deist or some form of Pagan.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@RationalMadman
There are 3 types of believers according  to Saint Basil the great..

Those who are motivated by fear of hell. These are like slaves.
Those who are motivated by promise of heaven. These are like mercenaries.
Then there are those who are motivated by their love of God, and these are as children of God.