I'm a macho man.

Peace, love and happiness,
Fills my brain when i step on the gas,
You may smell a petroleum fume,
My atomic engine is a coming real soon,
I'm a macho man

--> @mustardness
Lulz. Shameless polluter poem. Cute.

On a serious note, it often hits me how crazy it is that the whole world runs on such a finite and exhaustible resource. And one that will leave us with a ruined environment when it finally runs out.

Not to say only oil and carbon emissions are to blame for that. We must give credit to cow farts. So many cow farts. Cow farts errywhere. Their name is legion, for they are many.
--> @Castin
how crazy it is that the whole world runs on such a finite and exhaustible resource.
Yeah, as Fuller often pointed out, there are no guurantees humanity will be a success on extending their existence here after becoming in global humanity via sea-travel by British { immoral savages } Empire. 

1492 > 1592 > 1692 > 1792 > 1892 > 2092? That is five century's of a global  earth humanity awareness.

“Earth-Rap Poetry”
....mustard....

This here poem,
Is kinda long,
If you are good,
Then sing it like a song.

Its an earth-rap poem
An has some rhyme,
Easy to write,
Takes a little time.

Planet earth,
Is real fine place,
Home for da bugs,
And the human race.

It’s covered with water,
That’s H20,
An awesome blue planet,
In space it glows.

A blue-green machine,
Thats friggin alive,
Pumping and breathing,
And thats no jive.

Ecology,
Is not just a word,
It’s the way of life,
Or had you heard.

Micro-organisms,
Living in the dirt,
Too much sun
Really makes-em hurt.

It’s more than a rock,
It shakes and rolls,
Got deep oil wells
And chemical holes.

Beans and meat,
Are what we grow,
Pollution we seed,
Is what we sow.

Oil, coal
And carbon soot,
Real bad stuff,
Is gettin underfoot.

I don’t want scare,
Or do no harm,
I think more folks,
Ought to be alarmed.

There’s radiation,
Ionising us,
No place to escape,
got to ride this bus.

By now you think,
I like to complain,
Want you know,
Livin on Earth ain’t no game.

Come on people,
Don’t be afraid,
Speak your mind,
Get out of your cage.

Grow some food,
Or vegetate,
Head for the garden,
Ain’t never too late.

Six billion strong,
Is a lot a steam,
Come on people,
And join our team.

Do the locomotive,
And oscillate,
Rasie your spirits,
No time to hate.

Life comes in waves
Sometimes your on top,
Ride that surf,
Till it comes to a stop.

Livin on the earth,
Is all we know,
Caring for the earth,
Is coming kinda slow.

It’s a planet,
That needs a rebirth,
Come on people,
Lets think about the Earth.

I’m a Greens-bean,
I’m an Eco-nut,
Living in a forest,
In a shell called hut.

I eat tofu,
And rasin bread,
Those sweet tasty greens,
Are going to my head.

--> @Castin
Overpopulation will destroy the environment, not oil.

--> @Greyparrot
Overpopulation will destroy the environment, not oil.

"overpopulation" is correlated to the systems-of-operation ---bicycles or hummer-V's---   and whether they are sustainable for longer term.

Wind and sun have long term viability. Coal, nukes and oil do not.

"overpopulation" is also correlated to standard-of-living in conjunction with sources of power production.

"overpopulation" is also correlated to all of the above and how much food and fresh water can be maximally produced balanced to how much area-volume -space for humans, that is not a food oriented space-area-volume.

So that is three factors opening factors to consider regarding human and animal populations on Earth.

I know that in WW2, if not in modern day,  the sailors bunked in hammocks above and below the torpedos where they worked on a submarine.

In Hong Kong and many third world country the family lives in the shop they operate their business out of.

I'm sure there are models that have a lot of this graphed out various scenarios via data harvested and process in various apps if not games.

Bucky Fullers 1960's World Game and its offshoots

...".By translating core elements of the global economy into cards, chips, folders and other familiar objects, the Global Simulation Workshop allows players of all ages and backgrounds to act naturally, trust their instincts and teach each other, while simulating thirty years of future socio-economic history."....

--> @Castin
It's the fossil fuels, which are probably preventing another ice age by adding dinosaur farts into the atmosphere, much of which is CO2 that tends to accumulate around the polar regions where there is less photosynthesis, which according to the greenhouse effect causes ice to melt, releasing more gasses.

The world runs on petroleum because it is economical way to transfer stored energy for mobile working (work=force×distance) devices, and once the supply/demand changes the industry will naturally adapt.  The problem with oil is not that it is finite, but that it is so unevenly distributed.

--> @Plisken
my contribution is to point out that cow farts are not a big problem... 85-90% of cow-based methane emissions are cow burps.

--> @keithprosser
85-90% of cow-based methane emissions are cow burps.

So 100% of cow methane is still 100% and that does not include the industry involved with it.

Ex #1} the amount of amazon rainforest cut for logging every day, and then the cattle farmers move in to further degrade  what ecology remains.

Welcome to the free market

..."Cattle Ranching in the Amazon Region

.....Cattle ranching is the largest driver of deforestation in every Amazon country, accounting for 80% of current deforestation rates. Amazon Brazil is home to approximately 200 million head of cattle, and is the largest exporter in the world, supplying about one quarter of the global market.

...Low input cost and easy transportation in rural areas make ranching an attractive economic activity in the forest frontier; low yields and cheap land encourage expansion and deforestation. Approximately 450,000 square kilometers of deforested Amazon in Brazil are now in cattle pasture.

....Cattle ranching and soy cultivation are often linked as soy replaces cattle pasture, pushing farmers farther into the Amazon."....