Proofs of Objective Morality

Topic's posts

Posts in total: 28

--> @logicae
Your question is a false dichotomy ("but if I then told you that 2 + 2 = 5 what would you think? Would you simply say I was going against popular opinion or against reality?").

I would not say either one of those statements.  I would simply ask you to explain.

(IFF) "because numbers are not associated with units like apples" (THEN) how could "2 + 2 = 5" be "against reality"?

Wouldn't it be more precise to say, "it's apparently against the purely abstract rules of mathemajicks?"

YOur "question" cannot be answered unless you make your definitions explicit.

You're the one making the claim "2 + 2 = 5", not me.

YOu need to explain yourself (support your own claim).
--> @3RU7AL
"Your question is a false dichotomy ("but if I then told you that 2 + 2 = 5 what would you think? Would you simply say I was going against popular opinion or against reality?").I would not say either one of those statements.  I would simply ask you to explain."

Indeed, then perhaps that's where we should part. Explanation is not needed here if we cannot find common ground in basic mathematical truths such as 2+2=4. That is why I start with that question, to see if you are truly willing to find the truth.

Though this conversation ends, I will say one final thing: That definitions, though useful to confuse or clarify, can only help one so far. 
May you go far, 

To Truth!
-logicae

--> @logicae
...if we cannot find common ground in basic mathematical truths such as 2+2=4.
Of course we CAN agree that 2 + 2 = 4, if that's your claim.

Please try not to put words in my mouth.

What I'm trying to point out to you is that (IFF) someone claimed 2 + 2 = 5 (THEN) I'd be interested in hearing their explanation.

I'm certainly not going to simply "take their word for it".

Everyone should be able to make their AXIOMS explicit. 

If you can't explain yourself, you shouldn't expect anyone to believe you.