Christian Conversion Therapy

Author: Salixes

Read-only
Total: 23
Salixes
Debates: 0
Salixes
Yet another unpleasant episode in the history of organised religion is the hideous practice of "conversion therapy". And, there are reports that this cruel pseudo-scientific practice of brainwashing gay church members to change to being heterosexual is still going on.

"Based upon the assumption that homosexuality per se is a mental disorder or based upon the prior assumption that a patient should change his/her sexual homosexual orientation" (Wikipedia)

Given that churches still overwhelmingly condone the vilification of gays, isn't it about time we turn the tables to make churches undertake conversion therapy for their bigotry and hatred of homosexuals?

And while we are at it, how about including therapy to rid church folk of their vilification of other minority groups, those of other religions, those of no religion and their cruel anti-euthanasia and anti-abortion stances?

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Salixes
So basically, you want all religious people to become progressive liberal snowflakes?

No one has ever told that in the world outside your sjw safe places, theists outnumber progressive atheist?

So who is your "we"?

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
I honestly think voluntary conversion therapy is religious freedom.  Some LGBT people don't want to be that way because of the bible.  Banning it for consenting people is a violation of the first amendment.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
You got it backwards. People get brainwashed into thinking they are homosexual.

There is no such thing as an innate homosexual. 
Mopac
Mopac

Salixes is calling for the gulags to come to America.

It really hurts to see how popular all these Soviet Union type ideas are among the people on this forum.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
If you're pro-voluntary conversion therapy for gay people who don't want to be that way, would you also support voluntary religious deconversion services for people who don't want to be THAT way?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
Of course I wouldn't support such a thing, but they certainly have a right to exist.

ronjs
ronjs
-->
@Salixes
Should an alcoholic not seek to convert from alcoholism, or perhaps a paedophile not seek help to stop his urges?
As long as it is a voluntary act on the part of the individual seeking help what is the problem?

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@ronjs
Why should a homosexual seek help?
An alcoholic has a problem with drinking.
A pedophile has a problem with unacceptable behavior towards minors.
Homosexuals do not have problems any more than any other normal socially well-adjusted person.

It is people who try to make an analogy between homosexuality and other problems who are the problem.

And, as I quite rightly pointed out, it is those people who need to be converted from being bigoted, hateful and ignorant.

ronjs
ronjs
-->
@Salixes
The fact is that many homosexuals have problems with their homosexuality and do seek help with it. One only has to observe a gay pride event to see that they have some kind of psychological problems such as their exhibitionism and their attempts to sexualize children.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@ronjs
The fact is that many homosexuals have problems with their homosexuality and do seek help with it.

How many of these help-seeking homosexuals are Christians, whose Christianity informs their "problems" with their sexuality? I know a couple homosexuals, not a one has a problem with their sexuality. WTF are you talking about, exhibitionism and attempts to sexualize children? 
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@ludofl3x
The majority actually seek help from secular psychologists.
 Also, if one looks at the gay pride parade, there is more skin exposed than probably most people care to see.
Since Hollywood has always been dominated by homosexuals or part-time homosexuals (bi-sexuals) it is no surprise
that pretty much all that comes from them contain at least subtle or not so subtle references to homosexuality and of course
many schools have drag queen coming in and indoctrinating the very young. At least one "gay" journalist admitted  a few years ago 
that indoctrination was essential to the gay communities future survival.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@ronjs
The majority actually seek help from secular psychologists.

They seek help SPECIFICALLY to stop being gay? Because a lot of people, gay or straight, seek help from secular psychologists for all sorts of trauma. Like, say if you were told that feelings over which you have no control, that you've had since you were very young, were a potential reason to lose your family and your social circle, that would be trauma one might need help with. Can you back up this 'majority of gays seek help to get rid of being gay' claim? 

Also, if one looks at the gay pride parade, there is more skin exposed than probably most people care to see
How many gay pride parades have you been to, precisely? Where? It sounds like you're imagining a Simpsons episode version. Plenty of towns have gay pride parades where no one is running around in leather harnesses. They're mostly just parades of people. Why are you so afraid of seeing skin?

many schools have drag queen coming in and indoctrinating the very young. 
Please provide substantiation for this nonsense. 

At least one "gay" journalist admitted  a few years ago 
that indoctrination was essential to the gay communities future survival.
Link please. 
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@ludofl3x
They seek help SPECIFICALLY to stop being gay? Because a lot of people, gay or straight, seek help from secular psychologists for all sorts of trauma. Like, say if you were told that feelings over which you have no control, that you've had since you were very young,
were
a potential reason to lose your family and your social circle, that would be trauma one might need help with. Can you back up this 'majority of gays seek help to get rid of being gay' claim? 

This disingenuous since you know what we are talking about, those who desire conversion therapy.

How many gay pride parades have you been to, precisely? Where? It sounds like you're imagining a Simpsons episode version. Plenty of towns have gay pride parades where no one is running around in leather harnesses. They're mostly just parades of people. Why are you so afraid of seeing skin?

I have never attended one although i inadvertently witnessed one in Toronto and have seen footage from others which were much the same.I am not afraid of seeing skin but it is more the lewdness of it especially with children around, plus the fact that it is uneccessary.

Drag queens addressing kindergartners has been a thing for a few years now, unless one has been out of touch. Should be able to google "drag queens address children" or some variation of that.

Link please

Create new post
Receivers

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@ronjs
This disingenuous since you know what we are talking about, those who desire conversion therapy.

And they've waived patient client confidentiality such that we're able to quantify the number of people in therapy trying to not be gay just because they hate being gay?

I have never attended one although i inadvertently witnessed one in Toronto and have seen footage from others which were much the same.I am not afraid of seeing skin but it is more the lewdness of it especially with children around, plus the fact that it is uneccessar
I've been to several to support family members and have never seen lewd displays. 

Drag queens addressing kindergartners has been a thing for a few years now, unless one has been out of touch. Should be able to google "drag queens address children" or some variation of that.

Exposing children at an early age to diverse backgrounds of people is a way to help them see that people are just people, before dogma like yours senselessly infect them. 

Gay people aren't recruiting children to be gay. They're recruiting people to understand they're equal. That website is a bit of a slanted take. 
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@ludofl3x

And they've waived
patient client
confidentiality such that we're able to quantify the number of people in therapy trying to not be gay just because they hate being gay?

They don't  have to quote numbers

I've been to several to support family members and have never seen lewd displays. 

That's good

Exposing children at an early age to diverse backgrounds of people is a way to help them see that people are just
people,
before dogma like yours senselessly infect them. 

Nobody denies that they are people

Gay people aren't recruiting children to be gay. They're recruiting people to understand they're equal. That website is a bit of a slanted take.

Then i would assume that you would support having paedophiles addressing young children to show that they are just people. The psychiatric community would support this since they have proposed taking paedophilia of the list of mental disorders. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
Kids don't need to be lied to and told that sexual deviancy is ok and harmless.

Certainly, we are supposed to love everyone, regardless of their faults. But it is one thing to show charity and another thing all together to call what is abominable good.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@ronjs
Then i would assume that you would support having paedophiles addressing young children to show that they are just people.
Gay people aren't pedophiles. They're not remotely the same. Also, an odd contention since you presumably believe children should go to church, where there is an overwhelming body of evidence to show that priests are far more dangerous to children than your run of the mill florist or hairdresser. Are you willing to tell churches to keep children out, lest they are recuited by authority figures, claiming to have heard from on high that Jesus said you better let them put their holy sceptre in your mouth and accept the eucharist direct from the tap, on pain of eternal damnation. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
The Orthodox Church does not have a pedophilia problem amongst its clergy, and any priest who would commit such atrocities would be removed from their position.

ronjs
ronjs
-->
@ludofl3x
First off i don't attend defend or support catholicism as many of their doctrines are anti-Christian/ anti-biblical.Most people don't see a difference but there are glaring differences. Also, I don't believe anyone should go to church involuntarily.
 I only know one paedophile who according to his psychologist has never acted on his urges and he is indistinguishable from any other person, he was a very good neighbour, just like the two gay neighbours next door to my daughters' cottage, but the fact is that paedophiles are now pushing for the same rights as homosexuals and are supported by the psychiatric profession so it is just a matter of time before they get it.
 Are there any others you would consider to be less than Just people. 

PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@Salixes

Yet another unpleasant episode in the history of organised religion is the hideous practice of "conversion therapy". And, there are reports that this cruel pseudo-scientific practice of brainwashing gay church members to change to being heterosexual is still going on.

"Based upon the assumption that homosexuality per se is a mental disorder or based upon the prior assumption that a patient should change his/her sexual homosexual orientation" (Wikipedia)

Given that churches still overwhelmingly condone the vilification of gays, isn't it about time we turn the tables to make churches undertake conversion therapy for their bigotry and hatred of homosexuals?

And while we are at it, how about including therapy to rid church folk of their vilification of other minority groups, those of other religions, those of no religion and their cruel anti-euthanasia and anti-abortion stances?
I do not want to disturb your faith if you are a believer but recommend you find out what God says and rely on His grace in seeing you through.

If we do not find the Author's meaning we miss what it is that He says. Our faith depends on rightly interpreting His Word otherwise we teach others falsehood. 
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@PGA2.0
I do not want to disturb your faith if you are a believer but recommend you find out what God says and rely on His grace in seeing you through.

If we do not find the Author's meaning we miss what it is that He says. Our faith depends on rightly interpreting His Word otherwise we teach others falsehood.

And what is that God has told you, similarly, how have you rightly interpreted his words  relating to the subject?
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@Salixes

And what is that God has told you, similarly, how have you rightly interpreted his words  relating to the subject?

The same thing He tells us all. All sex outside of marriage is sinful. Marriage is to be between a man and a woman. Sex is to be between two married people. Any other sexual act goes against His design and purpose for humanity. There are various terms such as fornication, sexual immorality, impurity, sin, etc.