if you could live as long as you wanted

Author: linate

Total: 40
linate
Debates: 0
linate

would you choose to live forever or as long as possible? would you choose to die sooner than later, to experience heaven? would you drag out dying for eons and then maybe decide to die?
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@linate
I find it strange when someone says they wouldn't want to live forever.
I'd live for a half of eternity at least , ha,  half of eternity, it's hard to know what it feels like at age four / five hundred. 
And then you got to think about your life after your death. 
Again , ha. Life after your death..
I wish we lived for around 1000 years. Like gods right hand men.  Adam ,  Noah and the rest of the gang. 

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@linate
Living forever would be totally awesome.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@linate
It would really depend on if i could still have a way to die. I wouldn't mind being immortal if i had a way out too. This is bc i imagine living forever would eventually turn out to be like the same feeling you get listening to your favorite song over and over again... eventually, you'll want to change the song. I think people fail to realize the trap living forever could turn out to be.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Goldtop
Living forever would be totally awesome.

Buckle up boy, you're going to find that out when your consciousness leaves the physical body....too bad you were always unwilling to accept those who knew such things, you only had mockery and insults yet you wished it to be true. Sad really, it is true and you think it's absurd. It's okay in all honesty, you will find out one way or the other, the only problem is you will not know what's going on and where you are going, you only mocked those that understood the truth and never desired to learn, therefore you will be clueless. You won't get to traverse the higher realms, you will have to reincarnate til you actually get it, and stop with the cherades. 
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@EtrnlVw
Buckle up boy, you're going to find that out when your consciousness leaves the physical body...too bad you were always unwilling to accept those who knew such things, you only had mockery and insults yet you wished it to be true. Sad really, it is true and you think it's absurd. It's okay in all honesty, you will find out one way or the other, the only problem is you will not know what's going on and where you are going, you only mocked those that understood the truth and never desired to learn, therefore you will be clueless. You won't get to traverse the higher realms, you will have to reincarnate til you actually get it, and stop with the cherades. 
My consciousness will end when my brain dies or is damaged beyond all repair via trauma.

Your fantasies of higher realms and what you claim to know are all delusions in your head. Everyone knows this except you. That's why your posts are always referred to as delusional. The rest is just incoherent gibberish.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Goldtop
My consciousness will end when my brain dies or is damaged beyond all repair via trauma.

And so will energy and electricity end when some machinery or object dies. Not. Nice assertion though.

Your fantasies of higher realms and what you claim to know are all delusions in your head. Everyone knows this except you. That's why your posts are always referred to as delusional. The rest is just incoherent gibberish.

Everyone? could you produce a list please? thanks. Not my fantasies, but nice try old man. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Do not be confused, I would live forever and absolutely demolish any who would stand in the way of my progression in becoming God.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@RationalMadman
Do not be confused, I would live forever and absolutely demolish any who would stand in the way of my progression in becoming God.

Well that's the spirit lol, only you are what you are, you don't have to demolish anyone only learn to transcend that which is an obstacle of your progression. You are an individualization of the All in a dualistic environment as with everyone else, becoming that which first projected you is to surrender that which is not God, that which hinders such a progression. 
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@EtrnlVw
And so will energy and electricity end when some machinery or object dies. Not. Nice assertion though.

Machinery and objects don't have brains. Your argument has now reached the level of a five year old.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@EtrnlVw
you only mocked those that understood the truth

Well that's the spirit lol, only you are what you are, you don't have to demolish anyone only learn to transcend that which is an obstacle of your progression. You are an individualization of the All in a dualistic environment as with everyone else, becoming that which first projected you is to surrender that which is not God, that which hinders such a progression. 

You think you're actually offering that as "the truth"? It is incomprehensible gibberish. Could you please learn to talk like an adult, try and bring some level of intellect to the table rather than nonsense. You complain that the intellectual bar needs to be raised, yet you post childish nonsensical gibberish and insult everyone's intelligence.

1696 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@linate
Well, I don't believe in an afterlife,
So the question becomes less going someplace better,
As it becomes not existing.

I 'do get a sudden desperate desire now and then,
To risk and commit crime, attempt to make a ton of money,
That I can force the world around me to get me to live as long as possible.

But I'm lazy and fear to lose what little what and time I have.
. . .

Hm, if I believed in the Abrahamic Heaven though,
I suppose I'd rather get to Heaven when I get there,
Supposing I believed it likely I'd be going to such a place.

Though some people are in pretty suffering situations,
Or if lived some thousands of years might get tired of life.

@NoOneInParticular
"Is familiar Hell, better than unknown Heaven?

Battle Beast - Familiar Hell
hey-yo
Debates: 23
hey-yo
The biggest factor in this is how we are living. A person who is 179 amd has the body of 18 year old would probably want to keep living. But sometimed our bodies are older than our age.  Being Biologically 200 at 90 can be horrific. What ever our bodies could do or be like would determine how we look at this/these questions. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
@hey-yo
True.

Living for ever  as an organic structure would be reliant upon stopping the aging and deterioration clock sooner rather than later.

Maybe we will be able download consciousness and our individual intellect and personality to an alternative medium.

After all, physical experience is only an internal simulation of a physical experience.

So we would only need to simulate an external experience in order to be able to consciously experience and  re-simulate it.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@zedvictor4
@hey-yo
Probably 'would suck a fair bit,
Still,
If one compared it to what humans have already experienced,
Even young people, kids and teenagers,
Can be blind, deaf, no legs, or muscular disease.

Still,
As you say subjective,
Different people, different thresholds of preference, enjoyment of life.

I'm already a brain in a bone, meat, and blood jar, I suppose,
Moving to a glass and electronics one, might be similar.

Though the idea of us being able to manipulate humans that much disquiets me,
Well, depending on how it's done,
Though I suppose maybe it not 'ought disquiet me,

Many science fiction and fantasy possibilities have their own real world comparisons.

@NoOneInParticular
Oldest human I've ever heard of verified by modern times was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment
Though she was 'younger than her age
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Lemming

Lemming,

If you are a TRUE Christian, and you follow our serial killer Jesus' true words, you will be in heaven for ETERNITY, walking and talking with Jesus, all the time walking and talking for ever, in having conversations with Jesus, talking and walking, and talking and walking with Jesus over and over again, where you may ask Him, "when in the hell are you going to have your Second Coming, because it has been 2000 years and counting!

Besides, all men will be more than happy to know that there will be NO WOMEN IN HEAVEN as Jesus stated herewith: "Simon Peter said to them: Let Mariham go out from among us, for women are not worthy of the life. Jesus said: Look, I will lead her that I may make her male, in order that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who makes herself male will enter into the kingdom of heaven." (Thomas 114)

The book of Thomas was inspired by Jesus just like the rest of the books within the Bible (2 Timothy 3:16), therefore ,I wonder why it was not included within the Bible today, maybe because of the verse shown above about woman not going to heaven, hmmmmmmmm. 

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Lemming

I am happy living one billionth the life of the Universe.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@FLRW
A person might be happy living a day,
I 'am glad for the day,
But I'd like to live one more day,
And then when that day arrives,
Might be, I'd like to live one more day.
sadolite
sadolite
Having lived for 59 years already, I have a two questions to ask before I answer if I am going to live forever.

Do I have to live the rest of my days as a 59 year old?

If I choose to live forever and I find I am unable to gain sizable wealth along the way for whatever reason, can I kill myself.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@sadolite
If one is alive,
Eventually improvement may come.

@NoOneInParticular
Ecclesiastes 9
"1 So I reflected on all this and concluded that the righteous and the wise and what they do are in God's hands, but no man knows whether love or hate awaits him.

2 All share a common destiny--the righteous and the wicked, the good and the bad, [1] the clean and the unclean, those who offer sacrifices and those who do not. As it is with the good man, so with the sinner; as it is with those who take oaths, so with those who are afraid to take them.

3 This is the evil in everything that happens under the sun: The same destiny overtakes all. The hearts of men, moreover, are full of evil and there is madness in their hearts while they live, and afterward they join the dead.

4 Anyone who is among the living has hope --even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!

5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.

6 Their love, their hate and their jealousy have long since vanished; never again will they have a part in anything that happens under the sun.

7 Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do.

8 Always be clothed in white, and always anoint your head with oil.

9 Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun-- all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun.

10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

11 I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.

12 Moreover, no man knows when his hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so men are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them."

sadolite
sadolite
"Eventually improvement may come." It "may" come means it might not. I  don't want to live forever  on a average salary.

Math_Enthusiast
Debates: 8
Math_Enthusiast
We often say that we wouldn't want to live forever. That death is a gift. It is often said that the threat of death helps us to enjoy life, or that eventually we will be satisfied with our life and won't have any goals left to meet, or that we would surely go insane and be miserable if we lived forever. In the not-so-far future, there may be technology to allow us to live for an unlimited amount of time. We may need to ask ourselves, do we really want to die some day, or is this just a lie will tell ourselves to cope with the fact that every second of our lives brings us closer to our last moment on this planet, the last moment we will ever spend with our families, the last joke we will ever tell, the last goal we will ever accomplish, and the last thought we will ever think.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@sadolite
@Math_Enthusiast
I'm sure 'eventually there would be another Big Bang,
That if you're lucky would toss you into a habitable planet.

Though that's the worst case scenario of being trapped in space or something.
. . .

Forever 'is a long time,
But one can still enjoy much in life on an average salary,
Even on a poor salary,
Besides, seems likely in most 'normal circumstances, that circumstances can improve.

I'd say it 'can be a lie,
A truth,
A theory,
Subjective.
Depending on the person.
Math_Enthusiast
Math_Enthusiast
-->
@Lemming
Perhaps so. Let me ask you something though. Many people think that if they live to be 100, they will be ready to die. Some say 110, 150, 200, or even 300. How many people of the roughly 8 billion on planet earth today do you think would actually say "okay, I'm done, I'm ready to die" if they made it to the age of 300, and remained in good health? I suspect very few. It is human nature to always set new goals, and to aim for improvement. It is human nature to want to make a difference, and, once we have, to keep taking the next step forward. If someone lived to the age of 300, remained in somewhat decent health, and was asked, are you ready to die, would they really say "Yes, I'm ready to go." or would they say "No. I still have goals I want to meet, things I want to do, and people who care about me. At no point in my long life have I lost purpose in living. Maybe sometimes I've felt stuck. Maybe sometimes I've felt that there is no reason to go on. But that has never been true." Humans are never satisfied. It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Math_Enthusiast
Good health might be cheating a bit,
It feels a bit as saying,
How long would you want to live, if you wanted to live?

An attempt to bring heaven to earth so to speak,
For there 'is pain in existence,
Maybe pain in heaven too,
But on Earth, 'certainly there is war, jobs, disease, depression, accidents, loss, change.

Broadly speaking, . .
. .
'Some parts might be amendable,
But if a person lived infinitely, seems likely they'd 'eventually want to die, for 'some reason.
. . .

I agree though, that humans often want more.
Math_Enthusiast
Math_Enthusiast
-->
@Lemming
Good health might be cheating a bit,
It feels a bit as saying,
How long would you want to live, if you wanted to live?

An attempt to bring heaven to earth so to speak,
For there 'is pain in existence,
When I say "good health," I don't mean perfect health. In fact, I set a low bar. I just mean in good enough health to be a functioning human being. (i.e. not stuck in bed in a vegetative state)

Maybe pain in heaven too,
But on Earth, 'certainly there is war, jobs, disease, depression, accidents, loss, change.
Yep, and most of us can handle that. Those who can't are referred to as "suicidal," and that's not considered good or normal. It's considered a crisis. Why should we treat this any differently for someone who is of a very old age?

'Some parts might be amendable,
But if a person lived infinitely, seems likely they'd 'eventually want to die, for 'some reason.
I'll give you that over thousands of years, it is statistically inevitable to be suicidal for some reason at some point in time, but it wouldn't be any different than being a suicidal 30-year-old: Hopefully you'll get help, hopefully you'll get past it, and if you do, than someday, you'll be grateful that you did.

I agree though, that humans often want more.
So if you lived to 300, do you think you would want to die, or do you think that you too would want more?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Math_Enthusiast
I 'think I'd want more,
But I'm not sure how well an Ego/ The Individual would weather so many years.

Will I remember my childhood?
Who I was?

There's a game called Kenshi,
Where some intelligent robots eventually need to reset to their factory start,
Or they start going weird.

I view strongly my memory, as part of who I am,
Yet,
One can only manage 'so much memory I'd figure.

Though one can suppose in this immortal scenario, perfect memory I suppose.
. . .

I'd 'imagine (But not know) that some old people are lonely, look forward to meeting their family, friends in the afterlife,
Of course with us all, we 'expect to die sooner, than later, later being 300 + years.
. .
. .

Of suicide,
Are people then not given the freedom to quit living when they want?

I suppose if one saw death and suicide as unequivocal evil or a choice only a crazy person would choose,
Society 'might remove from people the ability to die.

But you say crisis, implying it might be acceptable in some situations,
But that in a 'normal life, a person would be expected to want to live. . .
Hm,
Math_Enthusiast
Math_Enthusiast
-->
@Lemming
I 'think I'd want more,
But I'm not sure how well an Ego/ The Individual would weather so many years.
That is what is often said, but would life really be any more challenging?

Will I remember my childhood?
Who I was?

There's a game called Kenshi,
Where some intelligent robots eventually need to reset to their factory start,
Or they start going weird.

I view strongly my memory, as part of who I am,
Yet,
One can only manage 'so much memory I'd figure.

Though one can suppose in this immortal scenario, perfect memory I suppose.
This isn't just some arbitrary theoretical, this is something that could happen within our lifetimes, (https://www.livescience.com/could-humans-be-immortal) so I don't think we should assume perfect memory. Nonetheless, in the "upload your mind" scenario, (the one I personally deem our best choice) this could happen, up to the point where data space runs out, at which point, we could just do what our brains already do: Forget the unimportant stuff.

I'd 'imagine (But not know) that some old people are lonely, look forward to meeting their family, friends in the afterlife,
Of course with us all, we 'expect to die sooner, than later, later being 300 + years.
This goes back to my point from before: If you don't feel that way now, why do you think that you will necessarily feel that way when you are older? Those of us in good mental health are capable of living our lives without constantly fantasizing about seeing loved ones in the afterlife someday. For that matter, belief in the afterlife is diminishing in popularity anyway, so this may end up being a moot point.

Of suicide,
Are people then not given the freedom to quit living when they want?
So you believe that we should not stop people from committing suicide? At the very least, you believe that we should not stop old people from committing suicide? I can't say I agree with that.

I suppose if one saw death and suicide as unequivocal evil or a choice only a crazy person would choose,
Society 'might remove from people the ability to die.
I don't see it as something only a crazy person would choose, I see it as something only a desperate person would choose, and as something that a person will be glad they didn't choose later on. For that matter, even if we are not at a point where we can prevent people from dying to natural causes, we certainly do try to prevent suicide. I see preventing suicide as saving a life, with the cost of that individual's autonomy in the matter being a small sacrifice. Once again, I believe that they we almost definitely be grateful for it later on in life, even if, in that moment, they felt otherwise.

But you say crisis, implying it might be acceptable in some situations,
But that in a 'normal life, a person would be expected to want to live. . .
Hm,
I said nothing of the sort. Here is my use of the word crisis:

Yep, and most of us can handle that. Those who can't are referred to as "suicidal," and that's not considered good or normal. It's considered a crisis.
...as in someone being suicidal is considered a crisis. I said nothing about suicide being okay in the situation of a crisis.
Nyxified
Debates: 21
Nyxified
-->
@linate
In a hypothetical scenario where I could exist on Earth in its current state in my body's current state for all of eternity (and assuming there is some mechanism by which I can erase all my memories), I absolutely would.

Every one to three hundred years, wipe your memories and take it around again.

It's like asking if I'd like to play my favourite game as if it were the first time I had played it, but I got to feel that way every time I booted it up: of course I would. I'd see a cyclical life as no different.
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Nyxified

Nyxified,

HOW DARE YOU BEING IN A RELIGION FORUM WHEN YOU ARE AN ADMITTED "TRANS-LESBIAN" IN YOUR BIOGRAPHY!  BLASPHEME!

This forum is more so than not, a Christian forum, therefore the Christian God Jesus does not like your "trans" and "lesbian" modus operandi, where He says the following in what is to be done with you!

Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other.  And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other.  Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved.  When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done.  Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip.  They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful.  They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents.  They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving.  They are fully aware of God’s death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway.  And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.  (Romans 1:24-32 )

How outright despicable for you to enter this prestigious Religion Forum is slapping Jesus in the face in you being a LESBIAN!