Goldtop avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 1,713
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    The two main postulates of evolution are:

1. Natural Selection
    2. Diversity of Species

The first talks about the process of evolution in how genes are passed on. The second talks about what we observe as a result of that process.
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Debates: 4
    Forum posts: 7,303
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    It is possible that evolution is true(I don't know).

What scientific method has been followed? What makes evolution science?

• Stronn
    Stronn avatar
    Forum posts: 512
    Stronn avatar
    Stronn
    --> @Mopac
    Evolution is a scientific theory because it explains multiple independent phenomena.

Lines of evidence for evolution include the following.

1. The fossil record.
    2. Genetics (all life uses the same genetic code and molecular processes and related species share many homologous genes)
    3. Comparative anatomy (related species have similar features)
    4. Embryology (embryos of related species are often very similar, even when adults look very different)
    5. The geographic distribution of species
    6. Direct observation of changes in populations over time in nature
    7. Direct observations of changes over time in populations in the laboratory in reaction to a vast variety of selective pressures
  • IlDiavolo
    IlDiavolo avatar
    Forum posts: 305
    IlDiavolo avatar
    IlDiavolo
    You just want to discuss a tiny fraction of what evolution can be. There are more theories that are as plausible as the untenable darwinian theory.

I strongly suggest you to have a deeper reading about it, seriously.
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    First point of evidence, the fossil record. 

Can someone explain the scientific process that demonstrates this as evidence of evolution?

• Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    --> @IlDiavolo
    There are more theories that are as plausible as the untenable darwinian theory

Name one.
  • Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    --> @Mopac
    The process is the same, it's the Scientific Method. The observation is that fossils reveal evolutionary change in species over the last 4 billion years
  • IlDiavolo
    IlDiavolo avatar
    IlDiavolo avatar
    IlDiavolo
    --> @Goldtop
    Name one.

You can find it as non-darwinian evolution. I won't give you so easily.
  • Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    --> @IlDiavolo
    So, you have nothing to offer?
  • Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    --> @Mopac
    Mopac, I must say I respect you for asking questions on this topic, it is VERY refreshing to see that here rather than the usual faith based denials. Keep at it and you'll do very well! Kudos!
  • IlDiavolo
    IlDiavolo avatar
    IlDiavolo avatar
    IlDiavolo
    --> @Goldtop
    I gave you a name. C'mon, think about it at least before replying.

• EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw avatar
    Forum posts: 2,211
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw
    --> @Goldtop
    Mopac, I must say I respect you for asking questions on this topic, it is VERY refreshing to see that here rather than the usual faith based denials. Keep at it and you'll do very well! Kudos!

If you're attempting to target Theists why is this in the science forum? 

If you wish to argue this against creation then you will have to show how evolution is not compatible with the PROCESS of creating things. That is precisely what creation means, it's a process. 
  • Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    --> @IlDiavolo
    non-darwinian evolution
    They've all been refuted as having the problem of not being able to explain certain aspects of species that evolution can explain. Sorry.

• Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    --> @EtrnlVw
    If you're attempting to target Theists why is this in the science forum? If you wish to argue this against creation then you will have to show how evolution is not compatible with the PROCESS of creating things. That is precisely what creation means, it's a process. 
    I am doing no such thing and there isn't anything I've said to lead to that conclusion, hence you're just making that up.

There is no such thing as the process of creating things in nature as far as living things are concerned, you are just making that up.

• Stronn
    Stronn avatar
    Stronn avatar
    Stronn
    --> @IlDiavolo
    Non-darwinian theories of evolution don't deny that evolution occurred (assuming that we are talking about proposed scientific theories, not religious ones like ID), they just propose that natural selection is not the primary driver.

Probably the most widespread non-darwinian theory today is the neutral theory of molecular evolution, which holds that most mutations are neutral, therefore most evolution at the molecular level is the result of genetic drift rather than natural selection. Even proponents of the neutral theory, however, concede that at the macro level natural selection is paramount.

Lamarckism is making a bit of a comeback too, due to recent discoveries in epigenetics, although not in its original form. In fact, it is probably inaccurate to call it Lamarckism, since most serious proponents view it as working in tandem with, or on top of, natural selection.
  • Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    --> @IlDiavolo
    the untenable darwinian theory

Please explain why it is untenable?
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    --> @Goldtop
    What is the scientific process that goes into determining how old something is? How does the scientific process play in observing the evolutionary change of species?

• Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    --> @Mopac
    What is the scientific process that goes into determining how old something is?

There are a number of methods and it depends on what it is  you're trying to date.

How does the scientific process play in observing the evolutionary change of species?
    Are you asking how the Scientific Method works?

Here's a quick rundown...

• Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    --> @Goldtop
    Of course I know what the scientific method is, I would like to see how it is being used in relation to the first evidence that was presented as explained by Stronn.

Telling me there is evidence is not the same as demonstrating the evidence and then explaining the scientific process involved to obtain knowledge.

This is an opportunity to demonstrate that evolution is in fact science.

And anyone is free to answer this question, not just goldtop.

• IlDiavolo
    IlDiavolo avatar
    IlDiavolo avatar
    IlDiavolo
    --> @Stronn
    Non-darwinian theories of evolution don't deny that evolution occurred (assuming that we are talking about proposed scientific theories, not religious ones like ID), they just propose that natural selection is not the primary driver. 

Probably the most widespread non-darwinian theory today is the neutral theory of molecular evolution, which holds that most mutations are neutral, therefore most evolution at the molecular level is the result of genetic drift rather than natural selection. Even proponents of the neutral theory, however, concede that at the macro level natural selection is paramount.

Lamarckism is making a bit of a comeback too, due to recent discoveries in epigenetics, although not in its original form. In fact, it is probably inaccurate to call it Lamarckism, since most serious proponents view it as working in tandem with, or on top of, natural selection.

Goldtop has to thank you for what you've just explained. That was his task, not yours.

But all the same, I was refering to the mechanisms of evolution. If there are several evolution theories it's because none of them convince us at all, let alone the darwinian theory which is defended by scientists as though Darwin had been a prophet.
  • IlDiavolo
    IlDiavolo avatar
    IlDiavolo avatar
    IlDiavolo
    --> @Goldtop
    They've all been refuted as having the problem of not being able to explain certain aspects of species that evolution can explain. Sorry.

You don't even know what you're talking about. Lol.
  • Stronn
    Stronn avatar
    Stronn avatar
    Stronn
    --> @IlDiavolo
    I would not say that the reason there are several theories is because none of them convince us. Rather, I would say there are several theories because no single one of them provides a complete picture.

• drafterman
    drafterman avatar
    Debates: 6
    Forum posts: 4,706
    drafterman avatar
    drafterman
    --> @Mopac
    The genetic evidence is far more compelling than the fossil evidence (of which evolution predates). Now, the fossil record would have been an excellent chance for evolution to be refuted but - amazingly! - it is consistent with common descent.

If you are (truly) interested in evidence for macroevolution, I encourage you to check it out!
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    --> @drafterman
    Well, the genetic evidence is number 2. Lets do number 1 first.

I am more interested in this being discussed here. Sure, there are tons of textbooks and online resources on this subject. It makes it real easy for someone to defer to another authority and pretend they understand something. I am more interested in this topic being educational.

So we'll get to genetic evidence later on, but for now...

How is the fossil record evidence?

How is the scientific method being followed to show this as evidence? Show the work.

• drafterman
    drafterman avatar
    Debates: 6
    Forum posts: 4,706
    drafterman avatar
    drafterman
    --> @Mopac
    Well, the genetic evidence is number 2. Lets do number 1 first.
    Naw. Let's do the genetic evidence as it's more compelling.

Sure, there are tons of textbooks and online resources on this subject. It makes it real easy for someone to defer to another authority and pretend they understand something. I am more interested in this topic being educational.
    Are you suggesting it's not educational to read material produced by the experts on the matter? I mean, why reinvent the wheel?

When you've gotten through the provided genetic evidence, let me know if you have any issues.