DART & Covid-19

Author: Vader

Total: 26
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
With Covid-19 raging on, we want to do our best to promote social distancing and limiting interaction with people

I'd like to do something like site mafia, or a google hangout/discord call, but I need community input on what you want. I can organize and have the time to do so. Comment if you have ideas for what we can do
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
stay safe everyone
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Vader
Smacks of an authoritarian state. No thanks. Besides, just as with STDs, the answer is not digital contraceptives; it is abstinence. Those who do their part in social distancing, including just staying home, have a high percentage  to 100% chance of avoiding infection, thus curtailing spread of the virus. Those who don't... well, you have the percentage of protection of physical contraceptives, and none are 100% effective; not even vasectomy and tube-ties. look it up.
Vader
Vader
-->
@fauxlaw
I agree, but limiting interactions will slow spread overall and I wan't to get back to my personal life of sports, hanging out, etc.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@fauxlaw
Actually almost all good quality contraceptives are 100% effective if you properly use them exactly as prescribed.

The reason they are not always effective is, in the case of pills, people don't properly adhere to the dosage and take other drugs and things that they don't inform the doctor about. 

In the case of condoms, don't be arrogant. If you get a size that's too big for you, of course spillage can occur somehow. Also if you have a big 'stick', don't be stupid and try to save money by buying the ordinary size. Be honest, buy the right size and you will be protected. Tears and such occur due to people going far too rough in a size too small and/or material too cheap that really shouldn't even be sold as a valid condom.

I would like you to show me how on Earth vasectomies and tube-tying are not 100% effective.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
>>RationalMadman

Condom use:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2940206/.  Even when used correctly, as you specify, condoms have a 3% failure rate. If they are used repeatedly [more than once without discard], it's failure rate is 20%. 

Tubal ligation [tie]: while the surgery of ligation appears to be permanent, https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/tubal-ligation and it can be reversed, but with only 50 to 80% effectivity of pregnancy after reopening the tubes. However, a poor job of initial ligation results in 0.037%of ligated females become pregnant. 

Vasectomy: The failure rate of vasectomies is 0.15%. http://www.malehealthcenter.com/c_vasectomy.html

Yes these are all small failure rates, but they still fail. Meanwhile, 100% abstinence is 100% successful in avoiding pegnancy. IOW: keep it ziped.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
So, uh... this might be a bit off topic (since someone decided the topic is contraceptives now) but I would be down for a Hangouts meeting.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@fauxlaw
100% abstinence is 100% successful in avoiding pegnancy.
Restraining yourself can only go far. What if you got raped?

RM saying 100% doesn't mean you use something unimaginable as in something being risk-free.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@TheRealNihilist
So, blow the whole idea off? How does anyone control what someone else does to them? You're being absurd, dreaming up scenarios that affect a small percentage of us. 
Vader
Vader
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I'd be down 
coal
Debates: 6
coal
I note that to the degree you interact with other human beings that, themselves, interact with the rest of society, you run the risk of contracting the Chinese virus.  

Everyone will eventually get this.  Not a question of if, but when.  
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@fauxlaw
So, blow the whole idea off?
Not implied if you were paying attention. Remember I targeted the risk-free part not your idea as a whole. Please do actually attack the point instead of some strawman you made.
How does anyone control what someone else does to them?
If you don't factor that in that is on you but I did. How could you possibly leave out outside intervention? You should also know something cannot be risk-free and I gave one example on why that is the case but that flew right over your head and I'm guessing this will too. 

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@fauxlaw
the answer is not digital contraceptives; it is abstinence. Those who do their part in social distancing, including just staying home, have a high percentage  to 100% chance of avoiding infection, thus curtailing spread of the virus.

I would argue that the chances of Supas idea spreading the coronavirus is actually zero percent, not just a low chance. You seem to disagree. Would you agree to a debate on the topic?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@TheRealNihilist
 How could you possibly leave out outside intervention? 
By not ignoring who is responsible for root cause of the incident of pregnancy. In either case, male or female, when, not if, the aggressor has failed to practice abstention, the aggressor is the root cause of pregnancy, not the victim of the aggression. The aggressor is always the one who has failed to respect the agency, the value, and the chaste innocence of the victim. No implication; that flew right over your head.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Supas? What do Indonesian trees have to do with it?
Vader
Vader
-->
@fauxlaw
Idk if it is a joke but I am SupaDudz

Supa is what people abbreviate it
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Vader
Ahhh, dawns the light! I'm missing the intended possessive apostrophe. Thanks for the enlightenment. Also, as an aside, thanks for the mention - I've just earned my fist gold medal!
Vader
Vader
-->
@fauxlaw
Congratulations lol! I get the joke now lol
Vader
Vader
-->
@fauxlaw
I'm usually very good when it comes to commas so I usually don't have a problem with it.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Vader
Not that it means a hill of beans, but I'll take my cheap thrills where I can get them. I do not have your youth [except in my head, where it's mostly useless!] so thrills must come from ordinary places. No, I didn't mean that. That's still workin' just great!
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Vader
I'd be down

May 15th? far enough out to advertise the idea and possibly adjust for ppls schedules but still relatively soon and honestly the earliest I would be able to show up.
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
-->
@fauxlaw
Congrats on gold metal
Vader
Vader
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I may be in school by May 15th. And if this kinda goes away May 15th it'll be my friend since childhood's birthday, so I would be unavailable that day
Vader
Vader
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
If I am still in e-Learning/quarantined, I'd be down
Vader
Vader
-->
@fauxlaw
Fair enough. That's what my parents say. Enjoy the medal lol
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Vader
Skip the birthday, friends are for nerds.