Topic's posts

Posts in total: 21
  • Melcharaz
    Melcharaz avatar
    Debates: 4
    Forum posts: 426
    Melcharaz avatar
    Melcharaz
    With everything thats going on right now, what is your opinion of online education vs classroom or auditorium education?
  • TheDredPriateRoberts
    TheDredPriateRoberts avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 3,340
    TheDredPriateRoberts avatar
    TheDredPriateRoberts
    --> @Melcharaz
    there were online colleges before all of this which probably gives that whole idea a huge boost.  in theory that could reduce costs since the expenses of classrooms etc would be minimal.  the antisocial behavior could also increase with decreased interaction I suppose.
  • SupaDudz
    SupaDudz avatar
    Debates: 29
    Forum posts: 10,807
    SupaDudz avatar
    SupaDudz
    I like mine. I work at my own pace and I enjoy it
  • Dr.Franklin
    Dr.Franklin avatar
    Debates: 32
    Forum posts: 8,289
    Dr.Franklin avatar
    Dr.Franklin
    online learning sucks as no one puts actual effort into it
  • skittlez09
    skittlez09 avatar
    Debates: 1
    Forum posts: 971
    skittlez09 avatar
    skittlez09
    --> @Melcharaz
    Pros: 

More flexible 

i moved recently so not having to drive 10 miles to go to school is amazing 

also i can sleep in 

Less fat 

there's alot of time waste in school IE filler classes that you do next to nothing in 

im looking at you speech and debate...

There are alot more pros however these are the main two i see in online schooling however in my opinion it doesnt outweigh the massive con

Con: 

I cant see my friends 

P.S. I'm speaking from someone who's currently a junior in high school and alot of this varies 

some of my friends have mountains of work while others have next to none 

its very possible i just got lucky 
  • skittlez09
    skittlez09 avatar
    skittlez09 avatar
    skittlez09
    --> @Dr.Franklin
    bruh i literally copy and paste everything from google 
  • fauxlaw
    fauxlaw avatar
    Debates: 41
    Forum posts: 1,118
    fauxlaw avatar
    fauxlaw
    --> @Melcharaz
    In the 60s, a professor of communications at Fordham University, Marshall McCluhan, wrote two books entitled, "Understanding Media: the Extensions of Man" [1964], and "The Medium is the Massage" [1967] in which he said in the first, and demonstrated in the second, that, near as I can remember [both books are across my library's far wall and I'm too lazy to get up to fetch them], "Our children are surrounded by live radio and television, and are then confused when they enter the nineteenth century structure of the classroom." I grew up in that conflicting environment. 60 years later, the surround is literally the world in your hand and pocket, live and alarming, yet we stall have that 19th century classroom.

Further, the content of that education is so poorly preparing our children for the responsibilities of our 21st century world, and they value their education so cheaply, they demand that it be free, and are apparently succeeding in convincing my generation, which paid ever penny of our education, and gen-xers, and milennnials, that education must be free and entitled.  McCluhan described our 60s world as a "global village," because we were beginning to know everything about everyone. Man, did he have his finger on the pulse, or what?

• Melcharaz
    Melcharaz avatar
    Melcharaz avatar
    Melcharaz
    --> @fauxlaw
    There is definately something to be understood about social experience and academic focus.

My pastor was grateful to the school system for a number of reasons. 
    1: the enviroment it helped him with focus.
    2: the people, it helped him to consider other views.

But most of all he values education for discipline. He always stresses having access to books, developing a good method of study (retaining the knowledge) and to discipline yourself to do the studying repeatedly.

• Melcharaz
    Melcharaz avatar
    Melcharaz avatar
    Melcharaz
    A analogy i use is this: without discipline, you are trying to peel a potatoe with a dull knife, with it, you are methodicly peeling it with a peeler
  • Melcharaz
    Melcharaz avatar
    Melcharaz avatar
    Melcharaz
    I love how the bible says it. " a man that strives for mastery is temperate in all things. 1 corinthians 9:25
  • fauxlaw
    fauxlaw avatar
    fauxlaw avatar
    fauxlaw
    --> @Melcharaz
    Yes, I appreciate that Corinthians quote. My oldest brother was a perfect example of the principle. As a teenager, I observed the levels his anger could reach. Fortunately, I was not a source of his anger but on a couple of occasions. But as he matured, and learned - and on that score he was the only polymath I ever knew, and taught me the joy and power of knowledge, his temperament  softened. As a man, he was kind and considerate and patient.
  • Dr.Franklin
    Dr.Franklin avatar
    Dr.Franklin avatar
    Dr.Franklin
    --> @skittlez09
    Dont plagiarize but I get where you are coming from
  • skittlez09
    skittlez09 avatar
    skittlez09 avatar
    skittlez09
    --> @Dr.Franklin
    naw bro 
  • Dr.Franklin
    Dr.Franklin avatar
    Dr.Franklin avatar
    Dr.Franklin
    --> @skittlez09
    k  
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    Debates: 13
    Forum posts: 2,578
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @fauxlaw
    The necessity of education for the future exceeds the limitations of most peoples capability.

There will be fewer and fewer with the ability to move technological evolution forwards.

It's hive mentality...Educating the masses for the sole benefit of the Queen...And so on.... Until such times as an ultimate goal will be achieved...perhaps.

Though probably, one day in the not so distant future, the Queen will cease to be flesh and blood and the necessity of knowledge will have exceeded the limitations of all humans.
  • Alec
    Alec avatar
    Debates: 42
    Forum posts: 2,474
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    Online classes are hard for me.  I don't know how people do them.
  • fauxlaw
    fauxlaw avatar
    fauxlaw avatar
    fauxlaw
    --> @zedvictor4
    What republic do you live in? It's certainly not mine. In my republic, your claims are all wet. Maybe if you added something to your profile other than "unknown," these discussions would not make assumptions. What Queen? Are you UK?

The necessity of education for the future exceeds the limitations of most peoples capability.

Nope, Yes, there are some who will never have the ambition of education beyond the necessity of K-12, and those some will be lucky, and some do, to achieve wealth and influence, and, more important, a contribution to society. But, there are plenty of people with ambition to innovate, and they prove it all the time. Your argument sets a imitation on those people that is just not there. It's a myth, self-propagated by your ilk.

There will be fewer and fewer with the ability to move technological evolution forwards.
    See above. Yours is just another myth.

It's hive mentality...Educating the masses for the sole benefit of the Queen

Hives are for bees. Fortunately, Some people have a mentality of individual worth, capability, and responsibility. Argue for your limitations; they're yours.

• SupaDudz
    SupaDudz avatar
    Debates: 29
    Forum posts: 10,807
    SupaDudz avatar
    SupaDudz
    --> @skittlez09
    You have a laptop, just use google hangouts

I cant see my friends 
  • skittlez09
    skittlez09 avatar
    skittlez09 avatar
    skittlez09
    --> @SupaDudz
    aint the same bro 
  • VonKlempter
    VonKlempter avatar
    Debates: 5
    Forum posts: 59
    VonKlempter avatar
    VonKlempter
    --> @Melcharaz
    I don't really like online classes, to be honest.
  • rosends
    rosends avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 217
    rosends avatar
    rosends
    I think online education stinks in 90% of the cases and for 90% of the students.

All numbers invented to make a rhetorical point. They aren't far off, though, based on non-scientific and purely anecdotal evidence. YMMV.