The truth

Author: sadolite

Total: 23
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
DO you really want the truth? Can you handle the truth?  Are you inclined to seek out sources that give you constant reassurance that what you believe is true? Do you ever look for sources that contradict what you believe? When I hear something or am  told something I automatically view it as a lie or disinformation. Are you the type of person that wants to kill the messenger? I have read a couple of articles showing that smokers are a lot less likely to get the covid 19 Virus . I was of course immediately shot on site for posting so to speak. Not one person even read it or considered the evidence. If it were shown by several studies  that smoking reduces the risk of getting a virus would you just reject it because it challenges your belief that smoking is always bad. If it were absolutely proved that smoking would keep you from getting a life threatening  virus would you smoke? 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin

wrong
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@sadolite
Your one piece of evidence does not outweigh the 100 other sources that see the connection
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vader
I posted no sources as I new people like you would reject any and all that I would post regardless of credible sources. I didn't post any on purpose because only those who are really open to having their beliefs challenged will research what I said. 
Vader
Vader
-->
@sadolite
So you didn’t post sources to a very unpopular claim and you just expect people to believe versus you talking crazy? Ok man
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
Meh, as long as you dont smoke 1000+ chemicals and tar added, smoking isnt a BAD thing. It becomes bad when you add the stuff and smoke more than a pack a week. Etc. 
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vader
I didn't expect anyone to believe anything. As I said, I didn't post any sources because the reaction would be to just shoot the messenger, kinda like you are. If you were interested and had an open mind you would research the findings.  But I don't think you are interested so there isn't much else to say.

Vader
Vader
-->
@sadolite
But if you can't find the evidence you make, then why make the claim that you saw an article is my question?

I literally went 12 pages into Google and I couldn't find anything. Maybe you got it from the Onion?

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vader
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@sadolite
2 of the studies included in the analysis concluded that "smokers were 43 per cent more likely to see their disease progress than those who had never smoked." 6 found no notable difference, which is not equivalent to discovering a causal factor, but it does not prove that smoking decreases the chance of dying from the virus. Also, the studies had widely differing sample sizes (some less than 50 people) and the published results aren't conclusive. The 41-patient Wuhan study only measured who ended up in ICU, and yes, none of ICU patients were smokers. But, it should be noted that the study only employed data from 3 smokers.  Let me ask you this: Is it possible that three obese, yet young people in otherwise good health, elude being placed in ICU? Obviously so, since obesity is only one factor. Another study utilized for the meta analysis comprising of 191 subjects only included data for 11 smokers. 6% of the subjects were smokers, 9% of the smoking population died, and 4% survived. Does this seem conclusive given the sample size? Also, a few other studies included in the meta analysis find that smoking is an moderate predictor of mortality as a result of contracting the virus. One study with 1,099 subjects found that a significantly higher percentage of severe cases happened to be smokers. Analyzing the first 5 studies included in the UCL meta analysis, researchers from the University of Crete and Harvard suggested that smokers are less likely to contract the disease, but more likely to suffer complications should they get Covid-19 (1). Irrespective of the study's results, it also must be determined to what extent self-reported smoking data is accurate. It's impossible to know how alleged non-smokers were telling the truth due to social desirability bias (when people lie during self-reports due to the inextricable stigma attached to what is being polled, which in this case, would be smoking.) Underestimated smoking data caused by a dearth of accurate self-reports has precedent (2).

If you don't trust me, listen to the UCL team behind the study:

"We would therefore caution against drawing any conclusion as to whether smokers are at increased risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection at this early stage."

Here is something else from the Daily Mail site:

"The authors concluded there is a lack of evidence that meets a high standard to definitely say whether or not smokers are at higher risk of catching the coronavirus, or having poor outcomes."

At this point, accurately depicting how strong of a contributing factor smoking is to suffering from Covid-19 is not entirely possible per the admission of the authors. It's entirely possible that nicotine has preventative qualities, but it far from proven, and smoking seems like the worse possible way to ingest nicotine. Surely, the patches would be preferable, yeah? I don't doubt that nicotine has the potential for inhibiting Covid-19, but there needs to be more conclusive evidence before this theory is elevated to fact if this meta analysis is to be believed. 

Sources
Vader
Vader
-->
@sadolite
Thank you
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@blamonkey
It's a study, it shows reasonable peculiarities that defy conventional thinking. I never set out or intended it to be a closed case . I find it interesting that they even published it give the automatic confirmation bias about smoking.

blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@sadolite
I would actually expect the opposite. Publications tend to favor studies that find a causal link between 2 variables (1).

Reasonable peculiarities might have been shown (I can't access the actual study, so no dice on looking at other methodological flaws unless I continue to pick at the Daily Mail article,) but peculiarities are hardly a valid substitute for actual proof. As I stated previously, there is no irrefutable evidence suggesting that smoking decreases one's chances of catching or surviving Covid-19. What is apparent is that certain comorbid diseases elevate the risk of dying to Covid-19, particularly coronary heart disease, myocardial injury, cancer, diabetes, and hypertension (2) (3). The average death rate for those afflicted with cardiovascular diseases is 10% (4). Smoking induces cardiovascular complications in the body, causing plaque buildup in arteries and alterations in blood chemistry (5). Long-term smokers would probably bear the brunt of the virus, which puts young smokers at an advantage. I'd be curious to know if all 20-some studies analyzed control for this.

I am not attacking the validity of the premise - that nicotine can inhibit the impact/spread of Covid-19 - but skepticism is an innate response to this evidence in the face of social desirability bias, widely differing sample sizes (some that border on absurd,) and conflicting studies. The fact that the study with the largest sample size, utilizing the most hospitals, found radically different results than the more compact studies with fewer smokers should raise doubts. 

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@blamonkey
The take away I get from it is that statistically smokers should be affected more but they are not. So much less that it baffles science and conventional thinking.  

Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
-->
@Vader
this claim is very popular actually among researchers. smokers have a lower mortality rate and a lot of hospitals are experimenting with nicotine patches for the infected. Once I get more money I am going to start supplementing with mild doses of nicotine which seem pretty healthy for you as well.
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@sadolite
it isn't that baffling. I dug into the science a bit and this is from memory but a lot of deaths happen from the immune system fighting the virus too hard, and what the nicotine does is kinda act as an immuno suppresant
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@blamonkey
there is no irrefutable evidence suggesting that smoking decreases one's chances of catching or surviving Covid-19.

Irrefutable evidence of anything is hard to come by, this is an unfair standard of proof. Particularly since your next post clearly does not have irrefutable evidence to back it up. 

What is apparent is that certain comorbid diseases elevate the risk of dying to Covid-19, particularly coronary heart disease, myocardial injury, cancer, diabetes, and hypertension 

blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@Singularity
I never said that irrefutable evidence is necessary to prove that smoking somehow prevented Covid-19. In fact, I don't categorically reject the premise that nicotine could prevent Covid-19. It's premature to call it the truth based on this meta analysis when clear methodological issues tarnish some of the studies chosen. Even the authors of the meta analysis study against drawing conclusions based on nicotine intake and Covid-19.

The biological effects of smoking are pretty well documented, especially as it pertains to cardiovascular problems. Do you take issue with a causal link being drawn between smoking and cardiovascular problems?

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@blamonkey
"Do you take issue with a causal link being drawn between smoking and cardiovascular problems?" I kinda do because science does the same thing with it is doing with people who die from corona virus. If you die and had corona virus they say you died from corona virus even if that isn't the real cause of death. Much in the same way it does with people who die who smoke. They call it a smoking related death even if smoking had nothing to do with it.  You can be sure anyone who dies of lung cancer who smoked will be designated a smoking related death even though half the people who die from lung cancer didn't smoke.

blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@sadolite
I previously posted about the alleged over-inflation in the official death statistics. I'll post the information pertaining to the alleged inflation in the death toll here. 

Estimates of false negatives are scant, but available research suggests that the false negative rate is 15% for the faster variety of tests (3). Getting a clear, post-mortem diagnosis, as it turns out, is difficult, and subject to CDC procedures that involve looking at medical histories, autopsies, lab tests, and current medical records (4). States beset by a torrential deluge of Covid-19 patients are unlikely to to up to date with death rates when hospital beds are filled with withering patients. This is not to say that the way that states go about analyzing records is at all uniform. Alabama, for instance, excludes those who tested positive for Covid-19 but didn't suffer from respiratory issues (5). When ProPublica compiled data on Covid-19 hotspots in multiple states, they found that the number of deaths not taking place in a nursing home or hospital had jumped in NY from 35 deaths per day (the average rate of at-home death from 2013-2017) to nearly 200 (5). Similar findings were observed in Detroit (5). An increase in at home deaths deserves mention because it illustrates that more people are dying under circumstances that would preclude a definite diagnosis. This problem is compounded by the fact that the first person who died from the virus did so weeks before what was previously thought, indicating that the unusually high flu rate could have been mistaken for Covid-19 (6) (7).

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@blamonkey
I wouldn't advise smoking. It's clearly unhealthy over all. Even if it does have some mild health benefits,  such as an increased visual ability. If adults want to supplement a bit with nicotine patches I can see it being a good ideal, particularly if they are part of a vulnerable population that can be easily killed by covid19, because they will get it, and will need to maximize their chances of survival. We will all get it once, and probably only once. 

Biohackers have known forever that despite it's addictiveness, supplementing with nicotine through means such as gum for example, they can derive a lot of health benefits. 

It is my personal belief that the more vulnerable to death a person is, the more they should jump at some of the knowledge on the bleeding edge of science, particularly when it comes to something really easy to do, with very little draw backs, such as supplementing with a very small dose of nicotine daily. 
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@blamonkey
Even the authors of the meta analysis study against drawing conclusions based on nicotine intake and Covid-19.
That comes from the fact medical science uses an over abundance of caution when coming to conclusions. Fast advancement should be prioritized over, well pretty much everything. If medical technology does not advance fast enough, than it could push back radical life extension until it is too late for me to capitalize on it, and a lot of other people as well. Look at fields where caution is thrown to the wind such as computer science and the rate of progress I  those fields. Older people should stay on the bleeding edge so they give themselves a chance to survive until the technological singularity. Younger people should prioritize safety instead of aggressiveness. Nicotine gum for the elderly and me, caution for anyone else.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@blamonkey
I never consider civil discourse rude. You are stating your opinion based on the sources you choose to be acceptable to form that opinion. I have done the same.