Topic's posts

Posts in total: 59
  • bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    Debates: 14
    Forum posts: 2,589
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    There have been some users who have called for a public ban list to be created to make the usership aware of why banned users were banned and, indeed, whether a user was banned at all. 

I am quite wary of such a list, and feel like it runs counter to the privacy interests of the banned members. I am concerned also that such a list would make it harder for banned members to reintegrate into the site, and that such a list would not be truly different from call out threads, which are otherwise prohibited as personal attacks.

I am curious, however, to hear other voices and perspectives on the question. No user has yet been banned by me or my team, but it is almost inevitable that, at some point, that action will have to be taken. I am interested in hearing the arguments on both sides of the issue, so that I can carefully consider whether to implement such a policy for moderation.

Please feel free to comment, particularly on (a) whether such a list should exist in the first place and (b) how much detail should be included in the list should it be implemented. 

• RationalMadman
    RationalMadman avatar
    Debates: 302
    Forum posts: 8,991
    RationalMadman avatar
    RationalMadman
    No, the banned users want the infamy and aside from that the ones who want discretion you accurately address in your concerns.

There is no third type of banned user who deserves to stay banned. A banned user either wants no one to know what they did or everyone to know how great at it they were. The only other kind of 'banned' user is the type who you should let be reformed and not stay banned in the long run as they will want to fix what they did wrong and not mind admitting it.

• bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @RationalMadman
    I'm not entirely sure I follow...
  • Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 1,713
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    I think Banned lists are made for those who were banned so that they can read for themselves why they can no longer logon to the site. It's simply a time management tool for mods.
  • RationalMadman
    RationalMadman avatar
    Debates: 302
    Forum posts: 8,991
    RationalMadman avatar
    RationalMadman
    --> @bsh1
    I say no.
  • bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Goldtop
    I think Banned lists are made for those who were banned so that they can read for themselves why they can no longer logon to the site. It's simply a time management tool for mods.
    Banned users will be informed via PM prior to their banned. No user will be banned--with or without a list--without them having been given notice. So, that is not a reason in favor of a ban list, as I see it.

• Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    --> @bsh1
    I wasn't telling you how to do your job, I was merely explaining the reason for Banned lists.
  • bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Goldtop
    Right, I understand that. My response was clarifying why I don't find that argument persuasive. What I am doing in this thread is soliciting arguments, which I will then consider.
  • Goldtop
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop avatar
    Goldtop
    Ah, so a tool that helps you is not an argument to consider, Gotcha.

*Note to self, mods actually do not want any help when they ask for it as they know not what they do.

• bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Goldtop
    As I said, it's not an argument for a ban list, insofar as users will be informed of their ban under either system. As you said:

Banned lists are made for those who were banned so that they can read for themselves why they can no longer logon to the site
    You wrote here that these lists were for the banned users, not the mods. But the banned users receive the same information in either system, and thus it's a non-unique argument.
  • Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 8,800
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    --> @bsh1
    Maybe use a list as a 2nd strike? like the 2nd ban gets the list? Escalation of punishment?

• bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Greyparrot
    I am not comfortable with using public shaming as a punishment. That would be to legitimize personal attacks as a tool for moderators, when moderators prohibit other users from making personal attacks. 
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Debates: 4
    Forum posts: 7,758
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    --> @bsh1
    I think it is right of you not to make a list. The people asking for a list may or may not be aware that their intentions are no good.
  • SupaDudz
    SupaDudz avatar
    Debates: 29
    Forum posts: 11,157
    SupaDudz avatar
    SupaDudz
    I don't think it serves any benefit, nor do I think it serve as anything detrimental. However, if people want to use the ban list as a source of reference about a persons absence, I could see the benefits of making one. As for privacy, well then it should not be a real concern tbh. I mean they got banned in the first place, which means they stirred up some attention to get a mod involved. It serves them right.

I also don't think this should be a sign of public shame like "LOOK AT THIS, IF YOU DO NOT COOPERATE PREPARE TO MEET YOUR DEMISE" and then proceed to publicly shame. 

• Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Forum posts: 8,800
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    --> @bsh1
    I think it also gives a reason for some people to make coalitions against the moderators, undermining the order of the site,
  • bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Greyparrot
    That was also on my mind, but there's an extent to which that might happen regardless.
  • bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    Based on the feedback already offered, I continue to lean away from creating a ban list. I am still open, however, to being persuaded otherwise. I'm bumping this thread to continue to solicit feedback on the idea, particularly regarding the two questions I outlined in the OP: (a) whether such a list should exist in the first place and (b) how much detail should be included in the list should it be implemented. 
  • Smithereens
    Smithereens avatar
    Forum posts: 502
    Smithereens avatar
    Smithereens
    I don't think the community stands to gain anything from airing dirty laundry. Explanation of a ban is only owed to affected parties, not every member on the site. Confidentiality is favourable here imo if you want less drama instead of more.
  • mustardness
    mustardness avatar
    Forum posts: 2,029
    mustardness avatar
    mustardness
    --> @Smithereens
    ...if you want less drama instead of more.....
    How did an Obamian { no drama } make it onto this forum? Just kidding ;--)

idio-ump drama queen who today admitted his "only good trait" was that he never ever drank beer.

He spoke the truth {  maybe partially } in the white house announcement to press/media.

If he has drank a beer or other alcoholic beverage in his life, then  it was a partial lie even when he has a freudian slip and speaks partial truth.

• Vaarka
    Vaarka avatar
    Forum posts: 695
    Vaarka avatar
    Vaarka
    --> @bsh1
    Banned users will be informed via PM prior to their banned. No user will be banned--with or without a list--without them having been given notice. So, that is not a reason in favor of a ban list, as I see it. 
    What if the user does not log on to see the PM before their ban?

• bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Vaarka
    I will wait until they have logged on before allowing the notice to take effect.
  • bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @mustardness
    Please don't clutter the thread with content entirely irrelevant to the subject at hand.
  • mustardness
    mustardness avatar
    Forum posts: 2,029
    mustardness avatar
    mustardness
    --> @bsh1
    Please don't clutter the thread with content entirely irrelevant to the subject at hand.
    Sure thing Bsh1, sorry for my actions. Realized how off topic it was when I did it.  My error of judgement and willpower to do the right thing.

Im for less drama and agree with smitheens post #18. My apologies again.

• bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    Last call for comments and feedback.
  • 3RU7AL
    3RU7AL avatar
    Forum posts: 6,347
    3RU7AL avatar
    3RU7AL
    --> @bsh1
    I am not comfortable with using public shaming as a punishment. That would be to legitimize personal attacks as a tool for moderators, when moderators prohibit other users from making personal attacks. 
    +1