Do Christians hear voices in the head?

Author: RoderickSpode

Total: 18
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
The answer is no. That is, hearing God's voice, being lead by the spirit is not hearing voices in our head.

To hopefully give an idea what a Christian may experience when we believe God communicated with us, I'll pose a question:

Have you ever had an intuition? You somehow knew you shouldn't go into that house, drive down that road, eat that food, etc.?

If you have, I'm not saying this was God. And whether or not you found out your intuition was correct is not significant to the question (although it could certainly be significant as far as a possible connection with God).

If you answered yes to having an intuition, did you hear a voice in your head? Assuming no, then this should shed some light on the subject.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@RoderickSpode
Do Christians hear voices in the head? ...........The answer is no. That is, hearing God's voice, being lead by the spirit is not hearing voices in our head.
In the case of "hearing god"  I agree. 

Other than that, I think the answer is yes. But like all things one doesn't have to be christian to "hear voices" or to read and understand the bible.

I think we all hear voices" in our head".  It is usually ones own voice asking, deducting & fathoming.  'What will happen if I say or do this'?  is probably the most common question I hear myself asking myself.

And sometimes we hear the words of others  coming back to us. Advice, a quote or even a line from a movie. Comedians will no doubt hear his own voice creating jokes and gags before the words come from his lips,  then we repeat those jokes and gags because we can hear those words of the comedian in our heads.. Scriptwriters often speak of  hearing  the voices of  the characters that "they have created " and how they would like them sound on screen.  Songwriters here voices in their heads  all of the time when composing lyrics, and  music composers tell us that they even hear the notes they want to arrange into a musical composition.
In truth we all hear voices in our own heads before we speak, it just happens so fast that we sometimes have to ask ourselves , `where did that come from'? 

The better question from my stand point is, where does an actual original thought  actually come from. 

Then there is the schizophrenic that hears the voices of others in his head  or in the case of  serial killer David Berkovitz ;  it was a dog called Harvey. Funny that,  now I think of it, god couldn't stop killing people either. I wonder who's voice he was hearing?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
@RoderickSpode
An original thought is a modification of pre-existing data...Stored data and perhaps newly acquired but nonetheless pre-existing data in a new format.

The evolution of data, hence humanity and it's achievements.

Hearing voices is creating voices, voluntarily or perhaps involuntarily....When I compose data responses such as this one I talk it through in my head.

Do you not do the same?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
An original thought is a modification of pre-existing data...Stored data and perhaps newly acquired but nonetheless pre-existing data in a new format.

Nice thought that, Vic.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Ta.

Do you talk things through in your head?
Stephen
Stephen
Do you talk things through in your head?

I did say above : 
"I think we all hear voices" in our head".  It is usually ones own voice asking, deducting & fathoming.  'What will happen if I say or do this'?  is probably the most common question I hear myself asking myself." #2
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
If you have, I'm not saying this was God. And whether or not you found out your intuition was correct is not significant to the question (although it could certainly be significant as far as a possible connection with God).

How do you distinguish the standard intuition from communication from god then?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x
How do you distinguish the standard intuition from communication from god then?
I don't necessarily know for sure that common intuition is even independent of God (particularly since he's all knowing per scripture). But that may depend on what is meant by independent.

What I probably should have mentioned in the OP, the thread is aimed at a fairly common allegation that Christians hear voices in their head as would a mental patient. That possibly may mean audible voices in the mind. At least in some cases. So the intuition I referred to was meant to differentiate from the idea of mental disease, and to give a relatable reference. Intuition as a reference itself may only really be skimming the surface though.

Have you ever experienced intuition?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
Everyone has experienced intuition. And everyone's intuition has turned out to be both right and wrong. If the source of intuition is all knowing, intuition would never be wrong. And if someone told you the story of Abraham and Isaac in modern context, you'd think they should be in a mental institution. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ludofl3x
Everyone has experienced intuition.[................]And if someone told you the story of Abraham and Isaac in modern context, you'd think they should be in a mental institution. 

Indeed,  This is where my intuition would kick in . 
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x

Everyone has experienced intuition. And everyone's intuition has turned out to be both right and wrong. If the source of intuition is all knowing, intuition would never be wrong. And if someone told you the story of Abraham and Isaac in modern context, you'd think they should be in a mental institution. 
By definition, wrong intuition would be a contradiction no matter the source (if any). So the question might arise, was the wrong decision a result of wrong intuition, or succumbing to bias, prejudice, subjective preference, etc.?

As far as the Abrahamic reference, I certainly don't have a problem with it in historic context. Do you feel I should?

What do you think the source of intuition is?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RoderickSpode
As I suggested, all people hear voices in their head all the time....Basically people talking to themselves, making internal assessments of stored data....God data for instance.

I would further suggest that most people do not even consider this normal function at all.

It's certainly not an activity exclusive to Christians.

Intuition simply defines our ability to retrieve and utilise stored data quickly.....Thinking that we don't think about it is overthink if you think about it. Because thinking is thinking and not thinking isn't.

Implying intuition,  simply underestimates the thinking (data management) capabilities of the human brain.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4

As I suggested, all people hear voices in their head all the time

I would further suggest that most people do not even consider this normal function at all.

Was that a typo, Vic?

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Stephen
No, he is saying that the voice in your head that you use while reading and writing, for instance, is not even noticed by you to be a voice that you're hearing.
Stephen
Stephen
@  the cowardly and spineless RATIONALMADMAN! 

STOP! responding to me while you have me on block , you dirty little coward and @zedvictor4 mentions nothing of reading and writing he says "all the time". 
There appears to be a contradiction in what he is saying, but I don't expect you to have noticed.

After all, you hadn't  even noticed that the bible itself suggested that Lucifer and Jesus are one and the same 2,020 YEARS!!!!!!! before you made the claim that it was you!!
Now go away and irritate someone else you boring nauseating poltroon.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Stephen
I was just helping to clear up a misunderstanding you had with zedvictor. A coward would be someone too afraid to reply to you. Anyway, I'll leave you be.
Stephen
Stephen

@  the cowardly and spineless RATIONALMADMAN! 

I was just helping to clear up a misunderstanding you had with zedvictor.
Well don't. He is more than capable of  doing his own house work, and doesn't need a boring nauseating coward such as you to do it for him. 

A coward would be someone too afraid to reply to you. Anyway, I'll leave you be.

But I din't ask you anything did I?  You have just taken it upon yourself to answer for someone else  on someone else's behalf  without being asked to. 

And you are a coward. It is cowardly to have me on block and then respond to me ESPECIALLY on someone else's behalf?

Do not respond to me again. I don't want you to. I don't want anything to do with you,  at all,  while you have me on block. If you keep this up, I will regard it as harassment by you towards me. So for the second time -  go away and irritate someone else you boring nauseating poltroon.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
By definition, wrong intuition would be a contradiction no matter the source (if any). So the question might arise, was the wrong decision a result of wrong intuition, or succumbing to bias, prejudice, subjective preference, etc.?
How is "wrong intuition" a contradiction? Intuition is wrong all the time, it's when it's RIGHT it stands out.

As far as the Abrahamic reference, I certainly don't have a problem with it in historic context. Do you feel I should?
Okay, great, if I told you that entire story in MODERN context, would you think "Wow, this dude has a great relationship with Jesus, if Jesus" or "I hope that guy's on medication" or "I should probably alert the authorities to protect his kid."

What do you think the source of intuition is?
Am I missing a different definition of intuition? Intuition is just your brain making a prediction based on pre-existing data, it's pretty simple. Can you give me an example where this ISN'T the most likely explanation?