Supa's Walrus Results

Author: Vader

Total: 19
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Welcome all! I am glad that you participated in this event looking for great music. I enjoyed listening to all your submissions. Before we get started, here is the grading system

0-0.9 (unlistenable)
1-1.9 (not unlistenable, but terrible)
2-2.9 (tolerable, but would skip)
3-3.9(wouldn't skip, tolerable)
4-4.9 (not the best, not the worst, below average)
5 (average)
5.1-5.9 (decent, above average)
6-6.9 (good, small jam sesh may occur)
7-7.9 (great, something i would potentially add to playlist)
8-8.9 (amazing, something i would add to playlist)
9.9.9 (beyond amazing, something i would turn up too in my car)
10 (perfect)

A FEW NOTES
  • I was a bit more pickier than warren. The highest score I gave was a 9.4
  • The lowest score I gave was a 3
  • The highest scoring category was 1b+ views
  • The lowest scoring category was the 80s. 
I will attach a link to all music given in the next posts

Vader
Vader
Round 1- Colors

Score: 4.9

This song is average to me. I don't like the airyness behind a lot of Melanie Martinez's songs. The drums are good, but I don't think it suits the nature of her voice at all. I think it's an average beat and sub par vocals overall. I wouldn't skip it, but not playlistable

2nd- Press: Eifel 65- Blue Da Ba Dee
Score: 5.7

When I first heard the song, I honestly liked it. If it were 2-3 years ago, I'd probably give it a 7 or an 8, but the culture and the memeing of the song really made me see it as repetitive. It is still job, with a nice futuristic tone, but I would prefer more drum to the song overall. The vocals are unique, but when you listen to it so much, it becomes stale.

Winner- warren42: Young Empires - Rain of Gold
Score: 8.6

I gave this song a lower score on my first listen, but the song eventually grew on me. I really like the instrumental on this and I like the African Drums with a clean drums. This is a really nice balance in the song that calms. It also is danceable and can be played in the car. I really enjoyed this song a lot, and it's catchy hook

With that, warren42 takes our first category. Congrats warren42!
Vader
Vader
Round 2- Songs That Start with the Letter J

3rd: Press: Elvis - Jailhouse Rock
Score: 4.3

I do not Elvis's music at all. To me, he was one of the most overrated artist. This song is decently catchy, but there isn't anything in my eyes that stands out. His voice is stale and just exaggerates the diction of words. To me, I think Elvis is merely a hoax. However, you are lucky since I can listen to Jailhouse Rock

Score: 7.7

I enjoy The Killers a lot and their songs are catchy. I like the guitar and the vocals a lot, but it seems like something is missing from this song. It reminds me a lot of some U2 songs, and I am not a fan of U2. It's a good song, but I don't think it's worthy of a score above 8.

Score: 8.8

Not my favorite album of Kanye, but this was my favorite songs on the album. The soul choir in the back gives a nice melody in the back with Kanye's voice mixes well. Nothing less than I expected from a Kanye produced song. It's so clean and really nice and clean

With that, RM takes the cake in this category, CONGRATS!
Vader
Vader
Round 3 - Anime Reference

Score: 7

This song is really catchy with various anime references that I quickly caught too. A decent instrumental, with lots of potential, my big issue is production. The mixing was sooooo awful in this song that it was hard to listen too. The bars were great, but it sucks that it hard to listen due to mixing

2nd- RM: Jaden: GOKU
Score: 7.5

There is an anime reference for sure, but it isn't too complex or smart to understand. I also don't like his rapping. It's a bit mumbled with too much EDM versus a rap style. I think there are some good songs by Jaden, but this song is just layered with a heavy instrumental and decent lyrics. It's good, but isn't that one step above.

Score: 8.4

Another great Denzel Curry based song. The production is better in this song and I love the gritty base with a nice 808 combo. His lyrics hit hard and it's an enjoyable song. I wish it was a bit longer

warren has now won 2 categories! Congrats
Vader
Vader
After reviewing, the lowest score I gave was a 2, and it's for this category

Round 4- 80s

This song is barely listenable in my eyes. I hate the voice that does not match well with the beat he chooses. I think it's repetitive and has become such an annoying song. I really dislike/hate this song, but it's not so awful

Score: 6

It was pretty comical and I got a bit of a laugh. The piano was a bit annoying I'll admit. Probably would skip, but it isn't a bad song
Score: 8.4

Gotta admit, I had this song was higher in the score, but after I listened, I gave it a lower score. Joan's voices are extremely hypontizing and it is something that I enjoyed listening too. The clear guitar and a nice drumline. Gotta admit I enjoyed that a lot

RM takes another one, congrats RM
Vader
Vader
Round 5- Feature is better than Original
(NOTE: Can Be Remixed By Artist)

Score: 7.6

The remix is good. It would have been higher if 21 was feature on it, but since he wasn't, I can't give it a higher score overall. It needed 21's chill attitude to bring the song up, and that lacking of that made the song go down in the score

I though the feature much exceeded Schoolboy overall. I enjoyed the beat a lot and thought it was really bouncy. It was hard to decide which one was better, but I ultimately made a decision because I believe the original is a bit better than the remix

Score: 8.5

A tough decision, but after a relisten, I went with this option. I think this song was really good, but it wasn't my favorite on the album. J-Cole and 21 killed the flow, and J Cole was better, but 21 was decent and if he were a tad better with pace in the beginning, I think this song would be higher

Our cycle is broken, RM gets a back to back DUB. Congrats!
Vader
Vader
Round 6- Song With 1B+ views on YouTube

This is such a great song overall. I really enjoy the piano and the drum line. It's a great song, and I enjoy Puth vocals, but I think Wiz is lacking overall and it isn't his best work, but his most popular. In any other category, this would've won, but there were sooo many good songs.

Score: 9

I am a sucker for guitar melodies and this song kills the guitar overall. Eminem's passion and Rihanna vocals make this a great song overall. This is easily a favorite song of mine. Such passion overall and hypnotizing vocals, it truly is a powerful song, but this category has so much bangers.

Score: 9.5

Let's get this straight, I love The Weeknd. His vocals are hypnotizing and his beats are poppy. This song was my favorite for such a long time. I enjoy the hard synth and the hard hitting chorus and nice production. His powerful versus and strong emotions make him my favorite

RM take another win! Congrats, That 3x in a row
warren42
Debates: 2
warren42
-->
@PressF4Respect
Ha. Hit him with the rickroll. Classic.
Vader
Vader
Round 7- Video Game Sound Track

3rd- RM: Ludacris: Get Back
Score: 6.4

It's a bit catchy at first listen, but then it starts to really get repetitive over time and enjoyable. I am ok with this song, but isn't a bop like others are

Like I said, I am a sucker for guitar type beats. I love the guitar. This song is a nice and calm melody, but the build up to the dramatic parts really leaves me craving. While a soundtrack is hard to do this, I really did enjoy this song.
Score: 8.7

I enjoy this overdramatic music. The music and choir is a hype song. I absolutely love it. It's a great song that's energetic as hell

Press wins his first category! Congrats

Vader
Vader
Round 8- 2015 Coachella

Score: 8

It is a good song overall. But his shouting and his vocal scratching makes me cringe. It is pretty good, but he goes off flow sometimes, but it is still catchy and I really enjoy it overall.

The guitar sample is really nice and the nice vocals. It is a bit off pace, and I fuck with this flow in the chorus and I enjoy it. Too bad the verses are a bit off. Otherwise it would be much higher.

Score: 9.1

I like AC/DC and their songs are very enjoyable. I love this song a lot and I'm glad you chose it. The hard guitar and the drums really hit hard

Press wins back to back. Congrats
Vader
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
@warren42
@PressF4Respect
With That Being Said, The Finals Result Are Here

In 3rd place, with 61.3 points, is PressF4Respect

In 2nd place, with 62 points, is RationalMadman

The winner, with 65.3 points, is warren42!

Congrats warren! You had some great choices
RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman
ggwp
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
The Melanie song was a risk, I felt the vibe was kind of your style but turns out I was wrong. No risk, no 'true' reward.

The fact that Press did so well despite the rickroll is impressive.
warren42
warren42
-->
@RationalMadman
The fact that Press did so well despite the rickroll is impressive.
Agreed, like even if it's a song he genuinely likes he had to know it'd be taken as a joke and probably knock some points off. He'd probably had won if he'd taken it seriously.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@warren42
Not necessarily but he'd have beaten me. The score difference between him and you was not easily overcome in just 1 Round if he didn't choose well.
warren42
warren42
-->
@RationalMadman
I mean if he'd gotten a 6.1 he'd have won, I feel like there's a pretty solid chance of that
Vader
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
I could understand. Melanie has that modern day style and nice drum lines, I am just not a fan of the airyness in her vocals. Hence why I am not a fan of most of Billie Eilish's songs
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
I know I basically lost because of that rick-roll, but damn was it worth it 😂

I didn’t know Supa had a deep-seated hatred for the king of rock ‘n roll. I knew that it wasn’t his favourite genre, but damn that was a whole other level of dislike.

I honestly thought that the Joyner Lucas remix would’ve scored higher, considering how good his bars and quick flow were compared to 21 savage.

But anyways, congrats to Warren for winning! Like the last one, this was really fun!
Vader
Vader
-->
@PressF4Respect
I don’t hate Elvis. I just am not a fan of his music. So much better rock artists