Posts in total: 7
  • ebuc
    ebuc avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 1,077
    ebuc avatar
    ebuc
    8 Billion People Need Food { Fish? >< Squid }

...."But an NBC News investigation, based on new satellite data, has revealed what marine researchers now say is a more likely explanation: China is sending a previously invisible armada of industrial boats to illegally fish in North Korean waters, violently displacing smaller North Korean boats and spearheading a decline in once-abundant squid stocks of more than 70 percent"...

....“This is the largest known case of illegal fishing perpetrated by a single industrial fleet operating in another nation’s waters,” said Jaeyoon Park, a data scientist from Global Fishing Watch, a global ocean conservation nonprofit group co-founded by Google, based in Washington. The group specializes in artificial intelligence and satellites that, along with an international team of academic researchers, discovered the Chinese fleet."....

..."OFF THE COAST OF SOUTH KOREA — The battered wooden “ghost boats” drift through the Sea of Japan for months, their only cargo the corpses of starved North Korean fishermen whose bodies have been reduced to skeletons. Last year more than 150 of these macabre vessels washed ashore in Japan, and there have been more than 500 in the past five years."...

• Dr.Franklin
    Dr.Franklin avatar
    Debates: 32
    Forum posts: 8,282
    Dr.Franklin avatar
    Dr.Franklin
    8 billion?
  • TheDredPriateRoberts
    TheDredPriateRoberts avatar
    Forum posts: 3,340
    TheDredPriateRoberts
    --> @ebuc
    China is becoming even more of a problem.  My guess is they will be even worse if they think Biden will be elected.  Given the past administrations spineless attitude towards China it's no wonder why they feel unopposed to build islands, fish whatever what waters they want etc.  
    Say what you will but president Trump has made the U.S. less dependant on China compared to any other president.  The new drug pricing etc will also help.

So what's the solution?  War?  Sanctions like on N. Korea, Iran etc?  How far is anyone willing to push the issue?
  • ebuc
    ebuc avatar
    ebuc avatar
    ebuc
    --> @TheDredPriateRoberts
    ............."How far is anyone willing to push the issue?"....

I dunno but it appears to me, that, any pushing of China powerhouse is a temporary policy ploy, for a hopeful, and only temporary, political gain.

Lets see if UN does anything with the over fishing issue in Korea waters and whether it is truly a long term fixing  move.

...."The Yellow River—northern China’s main river—has dried up every year since 1985.35 With aquifers and rivers suffering from overuse, lakes are also being affected. Hebei has already lost 969 of its 1,052 lakes.36 Yet with all of northern China’s water resources being tapped, water shortages still cost the Chinese economy a lot of money. According to one report, water shortages are responsible for direct economic losses of $35 billion annually, about 2.5 times the average annual losses due to floods.37

...Besides the disparity in water supply between the north and south, China’s water crisis has a second factor: pollution. Even in water-rich areas of China, pollution is decreasing the supply of clean, usable water.

...According to estimates, a full 70 percent of China’s rivers and lakes are currently contaminated, half of China’s cities have groundwater that is significantly polluted, and one-third of China’s landmass is affected by acid rain.38,39,40 Today, most of the Yellow River is unfit even for swimming, and experts have called the Yangtze “cancerous.”41"....

• TheDredPriateRoberts
    TheDredPriateRoberts
    --> @ebuc
    Lets see if UN does anything with the over fishing issue in Korea waters and whether it is truly a long term fixing  move.
    tbh I forgot the UN even existed......I don't have much confidence.

can't imagine how long or if it's even possible for China to clean up it's environment, so horrible for the people.  They are and have been a huge world polluter.  I'm just not seeing any kind of path to fixes these situations.  The Chinese government would need to be overthrown and some form of democratic government installed.  But that's highly doubtful that could ever happen unfortunately.  

• ebuc
    ebuc avatar
    ebuc avatar
    ebuc
    --> @TheDredPriateRoberts
    ..."tbh I forgot the UN even existed......I don't have much confidence."...

And this attitude only leads to the demise of humanity.

One-world-nation or humanity ends on Earth.  500 - to 1000 years is my intuitive/speculative guesstimate.

Will it be a slow death from many various forms of pollution, that will be spurred on even faster by erratic climate  change aka Global Warming and Greenhouse effect,

or will it be somewhat quicker annihilation by nuclear detonation of hydrogen bombs, spurred on by smaller nuclear arms accidents or intentional acts of desperation from the likes of N. Korea, Pakistan, India, France orange-bad-man and orange-bad-associates?

I dont have much confidence in humanity using mind of brain/brawn when it comes to survival of our species.

Empathy over greed, etc.  :--( 

• TheDredPriateRoberts
    TheDredPriateRoberts
    --> @ebuc
    I dont have much confidence in humanity using mind of brain/brawn when it comes to survival of our species.
    agreed but not surprising.  there are clear microcosms right now with the rioters and looters, other criminals, cartels, gangs etc  They don't care and can't even fathom the future or humanity.  Perhaps it's getting better and I'm not aware of it,  if that's true I'm ok with being wrong :)