Chinese cars and its future. [Please give productive opinion/facts]

Author: Intelligence_06

Total: 5
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
From the 80s and earlier, cars are considered a luxury, and motorsport is an alien term to most of the Chinese population. Chinese cars are just there for exhibition, with its reliability inferior to the Japanese, American and German counterparts.

From the 90s and on, the Chinese automotive industry was dominated by Geely, if there is any domestic sales. Geely once had an era in which they sold zero cars in an entire year and when they had a premiere party, only one person came.

Now what is Geely doing? Oh, just cooperating with Volvo and winning World Touring Car Championships.

From the 90s to now the Chinese car's quality has multiplied for a large amount of times. From having no one buying domestic cars to winning motorsports championships, it sure is a long way. 

Any ideas of what the future of the Chinese automotive industry will look like?

(Yes, I know, the masses might still use outdated models)
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
The whole world in general is valuing cars less and valuing public transport more. This norm is not only seen in China. On top of that, hiring taxis and people no longer seeing learning to drive as a 'rite of passage' into adulthood mean that norms are changing where not being able to drive is actually becoming more like a 50/50 norm among the populace. Two decades ago, it was at least 70/30 split (majority could drive).
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
-->
@User_2006
More competition is always welcome in my books,  Geely is the 15th largest car company and SAIC is 12th, still behind the U.S., Japan, and Western/Southern European car companies however. Hope they improve anyway.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Trent0405
If customer cars are still a thing in 2050, I believe Chinese cars will have a lot of potential in these years. China is heavy with EV tech and things, the only thing they didn't have is traditional brands. There are so far no chinese brand yet to be as known as Toyota, Ford or even Mercedes. The technology has improved rapidly. From 1954 where the vast majority not even knowing what motorsports is, to 2020 where Chinese cars are winning championships, it is really improving fast. 

Though I do not know how much will happen later. China has less of a base for cars compared to Germany and such.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
as with any industrialzing country, this is normal behavior