1% Own Over Half of Worlds Wealth

Author: ebuc

Total: 54
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
  • The wealthiest 1 percent of the world’s population now owns more than half of the world’s wealth, according a Credit Suisse report.
  • The total wealth in the world grew by 6 percent over the past 12 months to $280 trillion, Credit Suisse said.
  • That was the fastest wealth creation since 2012.

Duhh, old news.   Unsustainable.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
most of it computerized in stocks too, its "fake" wealth if you would say
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@ebuc
Not unsustainable. Capitalism has reduced world poverty by 86% in 36 years. 
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@MisterChris
36 years.  And how many more people on Earth in just those 36 years?

And how much more of Earths resources being sucked away, as the planet is becoming more polluted.

If you think erratic global climate change has nothing to do with humans, then your in denial.

Unsustainable, in my mind, means that the trajectory humanity is on, is not going to go beyond 500 - 1000 years from now, and there is more suffering coming than the influenza of 1918,1/3 of worlds population { 500 million people }. In todays  scale , or 50 - 100 years from now, that amount is going 1/3 of 10 billion......?

I dunno, is there any computers ---with enough relevant info input---   models of the world game that put humanity on a trajectory to utopia? H,mm interesting topic Ive not looked into.  Yes, I know long term models of economics always go, higher, given enough time for each bursting bubble that comes along.

But is economics, i.e. burning down Earths house to put a Jeep, tesla and more in every adults  driveway of pavement, stone or desert Earth.

Some think the party is going to never stop.  We got wind, sun, geothermal and nukes.  How could anything go wrong?

Oh God, please dont get me started on the things that are going wrong or could go wrong in next 100 years.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ebuc
Oh God, please dont get me started on the things that are going wrong or could go wrong in next 100 years.
How do we get you started on trying to find solutions with the rest of us rather than just sitting in a corner bitching about how much the world supposedly sucks?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@MisterChris
Not unsustainable. Capitalism has reduced world poverty by 86% in 36 years. 
That figure would only be relevant to people that care how poor people are doing, which is not a trait I have seen to be common among those who complain about how rich the upper classes are. Of course you are going to end up being miserable if you just focus on what others have rather than what you have...
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
What is "World Wealth" in real terms....How does one define world wealth.

Does anything  other than a few transient  human organisms, care about such a concept?

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
..."How do we get you started on trying to find solutions with the rest of us rather than just sitting in a corner bitching about how much the world supposedly sucks?"...

"solutions"? Solutions to what specifically?  Why you chosen place me in a "corner" makes no sense.  Since when is speaking the truth "bitching"?

Where did I say the world "sucks"?  Seems like the uneccessary bitching is coming from you about me, when all did was point out some truths.

Why does your ego appear to be  walking  in fear of truths Ive laid out?  It apears to me, you find it easier to try an redirect the table/map and my integrity instead of facing these issues by #1, accepting them, #2 acknowledging them to self first and  #3 speaks the those truths you others or confirming them when they are spoken.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
What is "World Wealth" in real terms....How does one define world wealth.
1}clean air,

2} clean water,

3} clean food,

4} safe shelter,

5} energy resources associated with accessing those above to better humanity with least detriment to the ecological environment that sustains 8 billion and growing. .humans.

..."But soon—or at least, soon in the context of human history—the number of people on Earth will stop growing. Based on the latest figures from the United Nations, demographers’ best guess for when this will happen is about 2100. By then, the global population is projected to have risen to just shy of 11 billion....

......Because some determinants of what the population will be 80 years from now are locked in today, it’s possible to anticipate broad demographic shifts. “By the time the world population stabilizes, Africa is going to be the largest world region in terms of population … and Islam is going to be the world’s largest religion,” Vogl said....

......Amid all this, the planet itself will change too. “We’ve done a whole bunch of damage to the environment,” said Vogl of the effects of the global population’s precipitous rise in the 20th century. When I asked him how concerned he is about the environmental toll of further growth, he said, “I’m pretty worried, mostly by the total inability of the global political apparatus to grapple with this issue and to try to find solutions.”.......

Whats his name want a solution from me.  Ive stateed for o for many years on many forums. Stop having children for  a generation or two.  Some kind of moderating operations for population control need to be put in place, for the current systems in place,  of maintaining and unsustainable standard of living for 8 billion plus humans.

Ive purposely not chosen to have children many years ago before I knew the problems facing humanity.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ebuc
"solutions"? Solutions to what specifically?
That's a really weird thing for a person that just spent over 20 minutes on a post listing a bunch of stuff they say is wring with the world to say.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
That's a really weird thing for a person that just spent over 20 minutes on a post listing a bunch of stuff they say is wring with the world to say.
Just as I thought your ego is in way of not addressing #1,2 and message #8.  Ego is your only play here to avoid all truths and bitch about others speaking truth. Sad lack of moral and intellectual integrity.

Play again?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ebuc
So that's a no on the "try to come up with solutions" idea?
Crocodile
Crocodile
so wut?

rich people work harder than poor people.

sometimes people get unlucky.

people say elon musk is a billionare and that's bad. wtf he worked extremely hard to be in that position. like how tf does bernie sanders think that elon musk is a bad guy.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
i dont support such wealth disparity, but if everyone lived like those in the usa, all those pollution metrics would get out of hand, and the economy would be unsustainable. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
it is enough of the problem to create social upheveal but liberalism wont solve it
ebuc
ebuc
So that's a no on the "try to come up with solutions" idea?
I posted one partial solution ---and in mnya threads around here--  but you ignore it just as you ego keeps you ignoring all truths and especially those involving you ego based mental blockages to truth. Sad :--(
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@ebuc
Ive purposely not chosen to have children many years ago before I knew the problems facing humanity.
lol

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Crocodile
There's hard work and there's hard work.

Some hard work gets rewarded more than other hard work does....Such is inequality.

Money and associated greed is a completely different issue to hard work.
Username
Username
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
How do we get you started on trying to find solutions with the rest of us rather than just sitting in a corner bitching about how much the world supposedly sucks?

The problem is that most people don't think that there is a problem with the 1% having so much. We're never going to get anywhere with regards to solutions if people don't agree that a problem exists.  You're being incredibly disingenuous. 

That figure would only be relevant to people that care how poor people are doing, which is not a trait I have seen to be common among those who complain about how rich the upper classes are.
Leftists have advocated for the poor more than any other political group, so I don't know what you're talking about here. 

Of course you are going to end up being miserable if you just focus on what others have rather than what you have.
Those two aren't mutually exclusive.
Username
Username
-->
@Crocodile
rich people work harder than poor people.

No. Being rich (say a millionaire) is extremely influenced by things like your race, education, and income level. The average rich person is much more likely to have rich kids than the average poor person. It's not like everyone has an equal starting point and then those who are destined for greatness just work their way up to the top. 

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@ebuc
Interesting. However, why should we use numbers from around the world dictate an individual country's policy?
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Username
Then how come we see many counter-examples, i.e. people who do rise to the top off of their own labor? Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs, Robert Herjavec, John D. Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, Fred Trump (Donald's dad), Barack Obama, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, etc. If these people can make it, anyone can. Heck, even my father is well off because of his own work and my family still is not in the upper class. 

But let's say you're right and that some people are destined to stay in poverty and it's not their fault. What do we do about it then?
ebuc
ebuc
Interesting. However, why should we use numbers from around the world dictate an individual country's policy?
Because every country is part of a global nation called Earth and until we begin operating withing this principle we have 200 country captains trying to steer the Spaceship earth in 200 differrent directions.

There is only one direction forward, survive and prosper without destruction or significant detriment to the ecology that sustains all human life on Earth.

Simple concept in complex world with a complex Universe that has at least 8 billion egos inside of it.

Username
Username
-->
@Mharman
Then how come we see many counter-examples, i.e. people who do rise to the top off of their own labor? Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs, Robert Herjavec, John D. Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, Fred Trump (Donald's dad), Barack Obama, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, etc. If these people can make it, anyone can. Heck, even my father is well off because of his own work and my family still is not in the upper class. 
You must have literally no idea how adverse the circumstances are for America's extreme lower class. Yes, everyone could theoretically make it. But many have terrible education systems, extremely negative role models, only one parent at home, barely any food, and a quick path to riches that is literred with risks, violence, and drugs. On a macro level, poverty repeats itself. Thinking that poor people could come out of poverty and encouraging them to is one thing. Expecting it to happen is another. I guarantee you that if you were born to the circumstances that the average poverty-stricken man/woman is in America, your chance of making it out would be extremely low. 

But let's say you're right and that some people are destined to stay in poverty and it's not their fault. What do we do about it then?

Destined is the wrong word. Likely is better. And that's a tough question to which I can't be sure of the answer. But the mentality you have, where we look at those in poverty and tell them to "do better" won't change the statistics. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Username
The problem is...
What is your plan then for bringing about what I mentioned in the post of mine that you replied to? (post 5).
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Username
Yes, everyone could theoretically make it. But many have terrible education systems, extremely negative role models, only one parent at home, barely any food, and a quick path to riches that is literred with risks, violence, and drugs.
It is fair to say that these people have struggles beyond what the normal American would experience. That I can agree with.

On a macro level, poverty repeats itself. Thinking that poor people could come out of poverty and encouraging them to is one thing. Expecting it to happen is another. I guarantee you that if you were born to the circumstances that the average poverty-stricken man/woman is in America, your chance of making it out would be extremely low. 
The thing is, I don't expect them to come out of it. Again, they will act as just about any human would when being born into poverty. That doesn't mean however, such actions are justified. They are responsible for their own actions, even if making the right choice is more difficult than normal. 

But the mentality you have, where we look at those in poverty and tell them to "do better" won't change the statistics. 
I actually agree with that. Just telling someone to do better will not always work. There needs to be actions taken to encourage them to rise to the occasion on their own. However, the solution is not just taxing the crap out of people who have already earned their way to the top and are still working to maintain their wealth, nor is the solution to put them on a stimulus that creates government dependency, an enemy of motivation.

So what is the solution?

I don't mind a small stimulus, but it can't be enough to make a living, otherwise they sit content in the stimulus. Instead, it should be a starting point for them to purchase the items necessary to work their way up. Things like a bicycle to get to work. Decent (not necessarily fancy) clothing to make one look presentable. A toothbrush for hygiene. Anything that helps them get a job (any job), or anything that helps them make connections with people or charities that will help them further. 

Thoughts? Ideas?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Mharman
So what is the solution?
A bicycle is nice til it rains, and your raincoat gets caught in the spokes, dumping you out in front of traffic, then it is off to the hospital and all the costs associated with that.

Society { humanity } needs a major transformation where every city has a safe passage for 3 billion people to get to school { decent education }, work { integrity of skill and pride } or other { church, community socials } with out being runover by a Mack truck.

How about a safe neighborhood so you dont get shot off your bicycle?  How bout development of bicycles that do no allow your clothing to get caught in the spokes?

How about humanities 200 nations getting real about humanities bleak ecological future? Not to mention we still have stockpiles of hydrogen bombs and new nuclear weapon being produced.  Why should the poor, bleak future individual, care, if most of humanity does not seem to care about seeking truth of the circumstances we find ourselves in a common spirit of yeah, lets all fix this together as one family { humananity } of shared human cause, affect and solutions.

Or as Fuller might call it, instituting a anticipatory design science for making the world work. Please dont tell me the world works. If the world worked optimally, we would not have 200 nations all wanting to get their hands on nukes to kill the other 199 nations. 

How about stay at home jobs for the poor where they use the minds to play and integrated set of games that they believe is about making the world work, and will take pride in doing so because they know that is the spirit of the greater humanity.  All for one and one for all is about spirit.

Kill the spirit{s} and the soul dies. 

235 days later

Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@ebuc
It's not true anyway. 

Total wealth never takes into account public wealth. Public wealth is where the real money is - and guess who owns that? Not the private sector. 

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Timid8967
Interesting thought I had not considered before.
Would this include such as roads, schools, sewer systems, national parks, land owned by the state?
The Governments budget?

Or do I miss your posts meaning?
Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Lemming
my point is that total wealth should not be exclusive only to the private sector.  Many people complain about the disparity between the rich and poor - but never even consider the total wealth in the world properly.  

The wealthiest legal persons in the world are the governments. The wealthiest private individuals are poor cousins next to even the poorest nation on the world.  

The solution to poverty is not to tax the wealthy private individuals and corporations it is to re-think wealth and who owns it. If the total wealth of the world was properly assessed, it would turn out that all of the private wealth would account for less than 1% of total wealth.  This is a mindboggling statistic that is convenient ALWAYS left out of the topic of wealth. 

Public Wealth is staggering in its enormity. Why do you think the richest man in the world could not come even close to purchasing the poorest nation in the world? 

It includes all that you mentioned and more.  

Even if the government's of the world reduced their wealth by less than 5% it would be more than the total private wealth and think what might happen if they set up accounts with this very small amount of what they own - education, health, defense, welfare,  and much more would have ongoing payment plans. 

The question of course, if this is true, why don't the governments just reduce and invest this money for future programs. Firstly, most don't even think about it.  Secondly,  government is about power. take away the control they receive by taxing - and suddenly they lose control.  Thirdly, there are many politically minded persons who an agenda to get rid of all private property. 

But it would be an amazing turnabout for our world and it would provide a lasting legacy for those prepared to do it.