What is ethical badness? What is immorality?

Author: simplybeourselves

Total: 3
simplybeourselves
Debates: 1
simplybeourselves
And what does it mean to say that we ought not to do such and such?

I have my own opinions on this.

(1) Ethical badness is suffering.

(2) Immorality is actions that cause suffering.

(3) To say that we ought not to do such and such is to say that such and such tends to cause suffering.

What are your opinions on this?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@simplybeourselves
"Ethical badness" is something of a contradiction.

And immorality is the opposite of morality,  both of which are individual or collective decisions regarding the behaviour of other individuals or groups. Morality is very much a human thing and we probably on consider morals because we can. Which is perhaps a good thing though, as we would probably end up eating our neighbours kids and f**king everything that moved or vice versa......Though some would argue that this is a good thing.... Such is the variability of morals.
simplybeourselves
Debates: 1
simplybeourselves
"ethical badness" is only a contradiction if you take it to mean "good but bad" (and even then it's not necessarily a contradiction because it may be that some things can be a mixture of good and bad). 

That is absolutely not what I meant.  Obviously. What I meant was something that is bad "in an ethical way" and, again, I don't mean something that is bad in a "good way". I mean it in the way that you can talk of something being "morally evil" .... it doesn't mean that something is both moral and evil. It means that something is evil in a moral sense.

So, what I am saying is that there are bad things and things can be bad in a non-moral sense or bad in a moral sense. Ethics is about the good life, or the absence of bad life... so if something is ethically bad it means it goes against the good life or the absence of the bad life.

That is a little broader than morality. As morality necessarily involves other people. Whereas you could have an ethics even with just one person. Hence why ethical egoism is a thing. 

"And immorality is the opposite of morality,"

Obviously. I don't see how this is relevant to my claims or questions. 

If you're still confused then just replace "ethical badness" with "unethicality" or "unethicalness".

" both of which are individual or collective decisions regarding the behaviour of other individuals or groups. "

Okay. Neither of this means that unethicality isn't suffering or that immorality isn't actions that tend to cause suffering. So, what you said could be true without it disagreeing with any of my claims. Which is fine of course. Do you think we disagree?

"Morality is very much a human thing "

Can an alien race at least as intelligent as us not also have morality?

"and we probably on[ly] consider morals because we can. "

Which certainly doesn't mean that morals don't exist or that they can't be objective.

"Which is perhaps a good thing though, as we would probably end up eating our neighbours kids and f**king everything that moved or vice versa."

If morality didn't exist and therefore couldn't be considered?

".Though some would argue that this is a good thing.... Such is the variability of morals."

But if immorality is doing things that tend to cause suffering then things such as rape and torture are morally bad (which doesn't mean good but bad... it means bad in a moral sense) because they tend to cause suffering.