Total: 338
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Dr.Franklin

Doc,

YOUR QUOTE, POST #118: "but according to logic, he has to be good"

No, according to "Tradition" Jesus is good.  When actually reading the Bible instead of having it spoon-fed to pseudo-christians on Sunday mornings, does the TRUE MO of Jesus as Yahweh God incarnate make itself known as Him being greedy, a serial killer, jealous, selfish, self-centered, petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capricious, and malevolent.

As a TRUE Christian, I have had to accept Jesus' TRUE MO shown above and that is vouchsafed within the scriptures. :(

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@BrotherDThomas
according to logic
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@secularmerlin
its not that simple, a God is the perfect standard of morality
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Castin
if you went further you would realize that he didnt debate my arguments about the logic of God
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Let us say there is an entity that would like to be considered as the perfect standard for morality. How would we determine the morality of this being to determine that it was or was not a perfectly moral being? Would it be by observing that entities actions and moral pronouncements? If not what other method do you suggest?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@secularmerlin
evrything God does is for good reasons, therefore it is good morality as it is HIS standard
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Dr.Franklin
You did not answer my question. How do we determine if the entity is morally perfect or not?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@secularmerlin
we dont, it is always perfect
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Dr.Franklin
we dont
Everything you say after this is by necessity an argument from ignorance. If we cannot determine the morality of an entity then we cannot make claims about the morality of an entity. This includes the Yahweh.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@secularmerlin
we do evil things for good reasons, right although it is misguided, a criminal commits evil for what in their opinion is good things
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. At the point where you admit that we cannot determine the moral standards of the Yahweh you have abdicated any argument for or against the Yahweh's moral standard.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@secularmerlin
we can but we have to acknowledge the fact about God
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Do not assume your conclusion support it.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
It does seem to say more about the author than the Yahweh. I agree absolutely about the ending however. It is unsatisfactory that the answer is "don't question me when I torment you!"
Of course it is not God doing the tormenting. It is Satan.  But that point does not even register in this discussion.  In fact God actually limits what Satan might have done because he loved Job

Oh for fs stop it!  This is simple desperation of you trying to excuse the inexcusable.  All the actions of Satan - who had once been sentenced to crawl on his belly eating dirt for all his days  but now  suddenly just walking around free as a bird - were sanctioned by god himself, no matter how you want to spin it. God stood by and watched all that Satan was allowed to do BY GOD himself and at the end god more or less told job to stop whining.  And I suppose the commandment of "thou shalt no kill " didn't apply to Satan here either! Exodus 20:13 King James Version.

I am not going to stop just because you dislike it.  I don't agree that God has done anything wrong here. I really don't.  Satan is the one who has caused pain to Job. His curse in the Garden of Eden is irrelevant to this story.  To suggest the actions were sanctioned by God is going to far.  While it is true that God permitted Satan to do what Satan did, there is no indication that God condoned what he did. It is clear however that God and Satan disagreed with each other about Job. 

"Thou shalt not kill" is a human law and applies only to humans.  It does not apply to God nor to Satan nor to angels nor to demons.  It is a human law. And just because you want to sniff your nose at this - I don't care.  God and Satan - although he might be the father of murderers - are not killers.  As it was the the coroners report would not say in this case that the children were killed by God or Satan. But rather from asphyxiation after a ceiling fell on them. Attributing murders and deaths to God or Satan is really a daft thing to do. And it makes no sense. 

In the story of Job we do have a god that actually did know the out come. He did know  that his most loyal and faithful servant wouldn't let him down and he did know  he would remain faithful, but killed these ten children anyway.  It was simply far beyond any and  all mental torture for the hell of it.
 It  is said the children were replaced by more children. Well this simply shows how cheap life is to the megalomaniac god , doesn't it.
So because God is omniscient he has to forget about the truth? Is that what you are saying?  Are you suggesting that because God knows the future, that he should not let the future happen? And that because God knows the future - he is culpable? What a daft way of thinking.   It really is a small minded way of dealing with the future.  The truth is important in my opinion.  Avoiding pain and suffering is ok - but sometimes pain and suffering are necessary. I also think your comment that God did it for "the hell of it" is intentionally provocative and deliberately misleading.  It suggests that God is reckless and vindictive - yet you have no evidence for these misrepresentations from the text- rather it all flows from your own cultural experience of life. 

I do not understand why God was ok with the killing of the 10 children nor do I actually think he was ok with it.  I do not believe it God thought life was cheap.  This goes against the rest of the Bible. I certainly see the lessons provided in this story. And I have to say that I still see God as the hero in this text.  I see Satan as the bad dude. I see God as the one who vindicates. I see Job as the one who is vindicated. I see his friends as people who saw the world wrongly.  I see Job's family as victims. But not victims of God, but of Satan.  

And you haven't explained why a god would need to prove anything to anyone? A god, it appears that felt he  had to prove something ( how great he was) to a literal lowlife belly crawling serpent that had been condemned years before to eat dirt for the rest of its life? 
I am not sure that God has a need to prove anything to anyone. I think he did knew Job. And Job was vindicated.  Satan wanted to find faults with God's logic. I don't think that this was about proving anything to Satan, - but you know what, I think the fact that you want to prove yourself right is something that is important to you.  Yet, go figure. I think you are wrong. Very Wrong and that story of Job is a great example if God's love and compassion. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret

I am not going to stop just because you dislike it. 
And I wouldn't expect you to.

I do not understand why God was ok with the killing of the 10 children nor do I actually think he was ok with it.
Make your mind up.  Your god gives a free pass to an animal the he himself had been sentenced to eat dirt "for the rest of its days" for corrupting mankind Genesis 3:14

I do not believe it God thought life was cheap. 
Of course you don't. This is you again trying to defend the indefensible. You have no answers for these barbaric actions but still you try your upmost to defend this egotistical psychopathic god.   

This goes against the rest of the Bible.

No it doesn't. This god doesn't stop killing after the creation story. He sentences everyone to death almost from the start and orders the death of millions. He cannot help himself. 

I certainly see the lessons provided in this story. And I have to say that I still see God as the hero in this text.

Of course you do. I don't expect you to see anything bad about your god even though the evidence is clear that he will kill someone, anyone , man, woman or child at the drop of a hat"

I see Satan as the bad dude.

Of course you do, although the body count for your god is said to be in the region of  227,037% higher than Satan's.

I see God as the one who vindicates.I see Job as the one who is vindicated.

There is none so blind than he who refuses to see. Your god was wagering Jobs faith and loyalty although he knew the outcome. It was to prove Satan wrong and himself right at the cost of so much misery. 

I see his friends as people who saw the world wrongly.  I see Job's family as victims. But not victims of God, but of Satan
Have you actually read the fkn story! The idea was all you egomaniac gods idea . 

And you haven't explained why a god would need to prove anything to anyone? A god, it appears that felt he  had to prove something ( how great he was) to a literal lowlife belly crawling serpent that had been condemned years before to eat dirt for the rest of its life? 
I am not sure that God has a need to prove anything to anyone. I think he did knew Job. And Job was vindicated. 

Satan wanted to find faults with God's logic.

It had nothing at all to do with logic. It was all to do with gods ego: 

Job 1:6. One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 
7 The LORD said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Satan answered the LORD, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.” 
8 Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”  9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 
10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 
11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

12   THE LORD SAID TO SATAN, 2 VERY WELL,THEN, EVERYTHING HE HAS IS IN YOUR POWER BUT ON THE MAN HIMSELF DO NOT LAY A FINGER".

So you see, your  god handed Jobs  ten children to Satan on a plate and didn't bat an eyelid. But is was all ok  wasn't it? Children it seems were literally ten a penny to your god because god gave job more kids it is said. This shows how cheap life is to you psychopathic god.

I don't think that this was about proving anything to Satan,

It was everything to do with proving Satan to be wrong and god being right.. at the cost of piles of misery for one loyal earthly being.

- but you know what, I think the fact that you want to prove yourself right is something that is important to you.

What you believe and think about me is irrelevant. 

I think you are wrong. Very Wrong and that story of Job is a great example if God's love and compassion. 

Love and  compassion! ?  wtf are you on about? Where was the compassion shown in this story of willful and wanton violence? Where was the love shown to Job and his children? Job certainly didn't see it as "love and compassion" did he.

And what was Satan doing just   “ roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.”  when he had been sentenced to crawl on his belly to be "the lowest of all the animals" and to "eat dirt all of his days".? 

" So the LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, "Cursed are you above all livestock and all wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life." Genesis 3:14

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@secularmerlin
Because I'm not of the opinion that two wrongs make a right or that the ends necessarily justify the means and also because melting the faces of civilians with nuclear fire and radiation just doesn't sit right with me.
I'm not sure if you're understanding the implications here. Two wrongs don't make a right is not an issue.

The problem is that we don't know whether or not Japan would have attacked again. It wasn't Hawaii they were attacking, but the United States. That means that Hawaii was a convenient attack at the moment. So doing absolutely nothing may have been immoral as well if it would lead to the eventual destruction of many Americans.

If you're of the opinion that we should have been passive, and willing for possibly millions of Americans to be sacrificed, then I can only assume one of two things.

1. You're an American who left, or will leave the U.S. because of our immoral deed. Or,

2. You're not an American currently in the U.S. who will leave because of our immoral act, or will refuse to ever step foot on our soil for the same reason.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
In your Hiroshima analogy, aren't you kind of creating a false dichotomy: either nuclear fire melting the faces of civilians and leadership alike, OR no action at all? Seems to me that there's a lot of intermediate steps one might be able to take in order to check the outcome of the conflict.

And that analogy alone is an interesting thought experiment, but to relate it back to the ropic of a god, Allied Leadership would have had to have the option to simply "delete" the bad actors in Japan, or rewinding time to go back to before Japan even attacked, or to rewind to where the causes that led to their attacking the US could be satisfactorily ameliorated (in other words, they have ALL options, even those that are not available to real world beings, because they are literally all powerful). If the Allies have THIS option...

...is it moral for them to say "Yeah, we could do that, but I'd rather drop two atomic bombs on thousands of residents who have absolutely nothing to do with any of this"?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@secularmerlin

Yes indentured servitude existed in Hebrew society for other hebrews but non hebrews could be bought, sold, owned and passed down as inheritance. Two different standards existed. One for hebrews and one for everyone else. The morality of keeping indentured hebrew servants, of which I am not necessarily convinced of, aside the ownership of non hebrews is what I'm actually referring to.
As an American, I do have certain rights that foreign residents don't have....like voting. This is true with probably every nation in the world. Foreigners who were purchased as servants, like immigrants living in the U.S. had an opportunity to become Israelite citizens, become wealthy, and even have Israelite servants under the same indentured servitude position. The opportunity to become  permanent servants was also afforded to the Israelites if they wanted to remain after 7 years. I think you read the texts in a wink wink, nudge nudge fashion where the servants would never do such a thing. It probably happened more than we would think. Same principle with foreign servants. The position of the owner is take care of their servants. That is of course providing all their necessities. Probably most of the time they didn't want to leave because they were taken care of. If they were abused, which was prohibited, someone else would be required to provide sanctuary. This is what some for whatever reason don't see in the scriptures. If you went back in time, had the opportunity to prevent the purchase of foreign servant by an Israelite, they probably would say thanks, but no thanks.

I do not actually know that. Maybe I'd kiss him. I said it would depend on the context of the situation.
I will assume you're serious.

Under what circumstances would you kiss your friend for admitting to unashamedly fantasize over your spouse?

What situational contexts would allow for non-disapproval on your part?

That we can take strength in adversity  does not make cancer desirable and would not make giving someone cancer moral. After all you wouldn't want me to give you cancer. Also adversity doesn't always result in strength of character. Often it only results in death. 
Of course taking strength in adversity does not make Cancer desirable.

Cancer is a non-contagious disease. You can't give someone Cancer.

Life results in death. Some people die of Cancer at an older age than some who die of natural causes. Disease is a result of our life's conditions.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x
In your Hiroshima analogy, aren't you kind of creating a false dichotomy: either nuclear fire melting the faces of civilians and leadership alike, OR no action at all? Seems to me that there's a lot of intermediate steps one might be able to take in order to check the outcome of the conflict.

And that analogy alone is an interesting thought experiment, but to relate it back to the ropic of a god, Allied Leadership would have had to have the option to simply "delete" the bad actors in Japan, or rewinding time to go back to before Japan even attacked, or to rewind to where the causes that led to their attacking the US could be satisfactorily ameliorated (in other words, they have ALL options, even those that are not available to real world beings, because they are literally all powerful). If the Allies have THIS option...

...is it moral for them to say "Yeah, we could do that, but I'd rather drop two atomic bombs on thousands of residents who have absolutely nothing to do with any of this"?
Sorry Ludo.

I honestly don't understand any of this.

Since you're here, I may as well ask though, do you feel that you could have prevented another attack from Japan if you had been in charge back then?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
Since you're here, I may as well ask though, do you feel that you could have prevented another attack from Japan if you had been in charge back then?
??? How the hell would I even begin to make this calculation? What's the relevance?

I honestly don't understand any of this.
Let me try to explain a little better. My read of your invocation of the Hiroshima idea, wherein the US dropped bombs on Japan, is that for humans, often, the ends justify the means. I"m not categorically opposed to the idea as a concept, but it's not at all related to anything to do with the divine. The god you believe in, for example? I've seen explanations that the genocides he orders are because he has to, in order to affect some greater end. This argument is poor as it comes to the morality of the character god in question, because it disregards the fact hat the Amlekites, for example, were by necessity also created by god, and that he had other options available to him besides "Send the hebrews in their to slaughter them to the last lamb." In other words, he didn't have to kill the Amalekites, AT ALL. In fact, he never has to kill anything: he could simply rewind time, delete the faulty line in the program, and rerun it, no one would be the wiser. This option is not available in the real world, and thus, the ends justify the means is a valid argument in some cases. If there are UNLIMITED means, truly unlimited, would it ever be justified to kill someone else, no matter the reason?

If you went back in time, had the opportunity to prevent the purchase of foreign, they probably would say thanks, but no thanks.

Wow. 

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode

??? How the hell would I even begin to make this calculation? What's the relevance?
I'm discussing this with someone who claims that the bombing of Hiroshima was immoral. If that's true, then there must have been a definite alternative action. So how could it be immoral if no one knows what that alternative action would be that would have prevented the horrible death of Hiroshima citizens?

Let me try to explain a little better. My read of your invocation of the Hiroshima idea, wherein the US dropped bombs on Japan, is that for humans, often, the ends justify the means. I"m not categorically opposed to the idea as a concept, but it's not at all related to anything to do with the divine. The god you believe in, for example? I've seen explanations that the genocides he orders are because he has to, in order to affect some greater end. This argument is poor as it comes to the morality of the character god in question, because it disregards the fact hat the Amlekites, for example, were by necessity also created by god, and that he had other options available to him besides "Send the hebrews in their to slaughter them to the last lamb." In other words, he didn't have to kill the Amalekites, AT ALL. In fact, he never has to kill anything: he could simply rewind time, delete the faulty line in the program, and rerun it, no one would be the wiser. This option is not available
in the real world, and thus, the ends justify the means is a valid argument in some cases. If there are UNLIMITED means, truly unlimited, would it ever be justified to kill someone else, no matter the reason?
Of course. Eventually (with your posts) we get down to the nitty-gritty.

Actually, you really shouldn't even argue about alleged biblical slavery, alleged genocide, etc.

It's all about why didn't God just make everything wonderful! Problem free! God could have made the world into one giant Chuck E Cheese amusement arcade, but didn't.

Wow. 

Thank you!

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@RoderickSpode
If you're of the opinion that we should have been passive,
I am not necessarily. You seem to think that the lesser of two evils is not evil. I simply disagree. In any case melting the faces of innocent civilians may have been overdoing it just a tad, no?
The position of the owner is take care of their servants. 
Does that mean you would be willing to be one my property? To have mr beat you so long as you don't die? To have your family remain my property even if I did deign to free you?
Under what circumstances would you kiss your friend for admitting to unashamedly fantasize over your spouse?
If he was cute. I mean there would need to be other mitigating factors as well but at the very least that he was cute.
Cancer is a non-contagious disease. You can't give someone Cancer.
I could expose you to dangerous substances. Or you could expose yourself to them. I mean if it meant getting stronger. In any case don't you believe that the Yahweh can give people cancer? Is that beyond an omnipotent being? I am unimpressed with any god(s) who are ostensibly less powerful than asbestos. 
Life results in death. Some people die of Cancer at an older age than some who die of natural causes. Disease is a result of our life's conditions.
If the bible is to be believed life's conditions are a result of the Yahweh's perfect and unalterable plan.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Tradesecret

TRADESECRET, The Debate Runaway on Jesus' true MO,  Bible denier of Jesus being the Trinity God in the OT, the runaway to what division of Christianity he follows, the pseudo-christian that has committed the Unpardonable Sin, and now the number 1 Bible ignorant fool regarding Noah's ark,

Are you still too SCARED and COWARDLY to address my post below within this thread?  Listen, put on another pair of "Depends" and at least "TRY" to address the biblical axioms in my post #117 relative to your topic at hand, okay?  Don't let your continued RUNAWAY status be so obvious, for Christ's sake!  LOL

Oh, and you have another 6 RUNAWAY posts of mine to address as well from other threads. I'll show those to you and the membership in due time, and yes, at your Satanic expense once again. :(

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
It's all about why didn't God just make everything wonderful! Problem free! 
So, what's the answer, do you think? 
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@secularmerlin
I am not necessarily. You seem to think that the lesser of two evils is not evil. I simply disagree. In any case melting the faces of innocent civilians may have been overdoing it just a tad, no?
How could it be evil if it may have saved many more lives?

The melting of faces was indeed horrible. What would you suggest as an alternative?

Does that mean you would be willing to be one my property? To have mr beat you so long as you don't die? To have your family remain my property even if I did deign to free you?
Would I be willing to be your property?

Absolutely! If I stole, or damaged your property, I would much rather be your property, and work off the debt I would owe you rather than going to prison.

Would I allow you to beat me? No way! Why would I?

As long as I can afford to take care of my own family after being released from 7 year servitude, you would have no need to house my family
members. Thanks for the offer though.

If he was cute. I mean there would need to be other mitigating factors as well but at the very least that he was cute.
Would you kiss a serial killer if he were cute?

I could expose you to dangerous substances. Or you could expose yourself to them. I mean if it meant getting stronger. In any case don't you believe that the Yahweh can give people cancer? Is that beyond an omnipotent being? I am unimpressed with any god(s) who are ostensibly less powerful than asbestos. 
Not sure what you're getting at. But yes, God does have the power to give someone cancer.

If the bible is to be believed life's conditions are a result of the Yahweh's perfect and unalterable plan.
Yahweh's plan is for salvation for those willing to receive it.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x
So, what's the answer, do you think? 
The answer to what?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@RoderickSpode
How could it be evil if it may have saved many more lives?
How could it be evil to harvest a healthy person's organs for transplants to the sick if it may have saved more lives? Because it is.
As long as I can afford to take care of my own family after being released from 7 year servitude,
Again this standard applies only to hebrews. Non hebrews were property for life. Please stop trying to conflate the two separate standards. Also it says nothing in leviticus about not being able to buy any person whatever not just theive's and debtors.
Would you kiss a serial killer if he were cute?
This is a huge jump. What does this have to do with thought crime? Serial murder is an actual crime.
Not sure what you're getting at. But yes, God does have the power to give someone cancer.
And conversely to prevent it and yet innocent people still get cancer.
Yahweh's plan is for salvation for those willing to receive it.
My belief in the Yahweh is divorced from any such willingness and would need to be discussed separately and yet disbelief according to the bible is enough to convict me. Your statement is demonstrably false.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
To why doesn't God just go back and fix stuff so it doesn't require humans to do something morally dubious like commit genocide for him? When he can just go back and say "These amalekites, I did something wrong when I made them because they're making me so unhappy....I should either ifx them or delete them." It's so much easier to do if you're actually omnipotent and omniscient, though I guess if you were omniscient, you'd have known they were going to piss you off so much that you ordered the men, women, children and livestock slaughtered, which again raises a moral question. 
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@secularmerlin

How could it be evil to harvest a healthy person's organs for transplants to the sick if it may have saved more lives? Because it is.
I'm sorry, but my question was what would you suggest as an alternative to the H-bombing of Hiroshima?

Again this standard applies only to hebrews. Non hebrews were property for life. Please stop trying to conflate the two separate standards. Also it says nothing in leviticus about not being able to buy any person whatever not just theive's and debtors.

Actually I wasn't trying to conflate the two. At the time, I wasn't sure you were making that distinction. This is the verse I thought you were referring to.

2 “If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3 If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.

The 7 year clause was provided for voluntary service due to being in poverty. Are you thinking that's forced servitude? Do you think they had a slave market?

English Standard Version
r“Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found sin possession of him, shall be put to death.

This is a huge jump. What does this have to do with thought crime? Serial murder is an actual crime.

Maybe I should ask, what exactly (particularly in the bible) do you mean by thought crime?

And conversely to prevent it and yet innocent people still get cancer.
Who would you consider non-innocent (guilty) enough to deserve cancer?

My belief in the Yahweh is divorced from any such willingness and would need to be discussed separately and yet disbelief according to the bible is enough to convict me. Your statement is demonstrably false.
How could it be false when I'm conveying the plan as stated in the bible?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x
To why doesn't God just go back and fix stuff so it doesn't require humans to do something morally dubious like commit genocide for him? When he can just go back and say "These amalekites, I did something wrong when I made them because they're making me so unhappy....I should either ifx them or delete them." It's so much easier to do if you're actually omnipotent and omniscient, though I guess if you were omniscient, you'd have known they were going to piss you off so much that you ordered the men, women, children and livestock slaughtered, which again raises a moral question. 
Why bother with all that?

I can ask all kinds of questions.

Do you think god should have made rocks out of sponge material?

Imagine going hiking, your partner screams "Look out! Avalanche!"

Then you calmly reply "No worries! The boulders will just bounce off of us anyway!"