Research for upcoming debate

Author: K_Michael

Total: 12
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
Can anyone attest to (and link) a debate where someone actually used 30,000 characters in one round? I don't know if there are any and I definitely don't remember seeing one myself . 
BearMan
Debates: 16
BearMan
Largest I seen was misterchris with 21,000 some characters.

whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@K_Michael
Only on a different site. Had a couple of rounds that went well over that limit.

MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@K_Michael
@BearMan
Actually, my final post of that debate was a little over 25,000 characters :)
seldiora
Debates: 158
seldiora
Oromagi used up 30k in my debate about whether to reduce the 30k limit
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@seldiora
Oromagi used up 30k in my debate about whether to reduce the 30k limit
I think we can agree that that was more to prove a point then it was that he needed that many characters. 

seldiora
seldiora
-->
@K_Michael
eh. Considering how Larz "the Beast slayer" managed it in his own website, you could also see if long scholarly papers truly are worth mentioning with that much characters.
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@MisterChris
Actually, my final post of that debate was a little over 25,000 characters :)
I would say I love to debate and argue, but I have lost enthusiasm for formal debate structure lol. When I argue with people in the forums, I am sure I have exceeded 25k characters plenty of times. I usually will keep responding until the other person makes a good point that I have to concede on, or they just stop responding. Some of my back and forths have gotten pretty lengthy. I like de-structuring arguments piece by piece, segment by segment, so forum argumentation is up my alley. But for some reason accepting a debate where my opponent has posted 25k characters seems daunting, and I think I'd end up forfeiting lol.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Lunatic
Really? I'm kinda the opposite. I don't really consider arguments on forums worth much effort, whereas I always put max effort into debating on formal debates. I guess I've always loved formal debating. I don't think I'll stop for the foreseeable future.

BTW that many characters for me isn't the norm (I'm typically around 10k characters to 15k at most)
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@MisterChris
10-15k seems about average. I can't believe there was a time on DDO where the character limit was only 8k. Trying to respond to a pro case while also making your own as con was an extreme challenge.
MisterChris
MisterChris
-->
@Lunatic
Yikes. That's a huge handicap
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@K_Michael
you could also argue from actual articles that are long [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:LongPages]