New presidential debate format

Author: fauxlaw

Total: 9
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
I have an old, but abandoned idea for presidential debates. They used to be done like this a century, two centuries ago, but not since the coming of age of media and television. It's very simple: Lose the moderator[s]. It is obvious to me, and has been for several election cycles [I've seen a few]. The moderator, typically being a media type, is becoming unashamedly biased. In the first Trump/Biden debate, Trump recognized that he was in a 2-on-1 debate. I know a little bit about that. Chris Wallace was a disgrace. Savannah Guthrie wasn't much better. It is the evidence of weakness on the heavy side, that the added weight is deemed necessary, and in this particular case, badly needed by that side. 
A secondary reason: why do moderators think they have to pontificate a question with background information. Just ask the bloody question! They take up as much time as the debate participants. These people act like they've never been on TV before, and want all the time. Better to just eliminate the problem instead of making them shut-up but for a posed question without the fluff. Instead, let the participants ask questions of each other, any subject, no prior notice to either one. That way, they are truly held to thinking on their feet; the way it should. That's how negotiation with other world leaders goes, why not in their pre-election debates.

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@fauxlaw
Alternately, they could get actual debate moderators instead of media figures.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@SirAnonymous
Yes, good idea, but when wold media relinquish that role? Which is actually a good rebuttal to my idea.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@fauxlaw
Probably not. Since the RNC and DNC let media companies handle the debates, the media companies get to pick the moderators, and they're inevitably going to pick one of their popular figures. However, if the RNC and DNC really wanted to, they could have some debate organization host the debates instead and just have the media there to televise them. That would remove the debates from the media's control and put them in the hands of (hopefully) less biased moderators.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@SirAnonymous
Yes, I agree
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@fauxlaw
So why can't the candidates ask questions?

It's not a moderator if he is asking the questions, he is an interrogator.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Greyparrot
No, I don't mean to discount my idea of candidates asking the questions and not having a moderator
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@fauxlaw
This about sums up how the biased moderators operate:
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Any person with a brain can see the media “moderators” are biased af. All someone has to do is watch George Stephanopoulos‘s townhall with Trump and then Joe Biden. That’s all you need to see.